Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 1, 2010, 10:57 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Judging from your posts here. I'd get the Sony A500. it's a nice camera, and worth the small amount of price difference as compared to the less expensive camera models.
Thats what I'm thinking now...
Anyway, the A330 has gone back - and that was partly down to the fact that I asked if i could pop back in and spend some time on their display model before opening mine and committing to the sale. To take some different |ISO shots, play with the menus etc... when I was told they didn't have the time to do that I said thats fine, I'll just bring it back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Gagset,

The * button is not that hard to use. It is right in the upper right side of the camera. You just do not use the shutter button to focus. You just set up the shot on live view, the release the shutter. .
Yep, saw that button... so basically you view in LV (albeit out of focus) and then hit the * to focus and hen hit the shutter button.. is that right?
Seems easy..

Quote:
But to be honest, as you use a dslr more and more, you will move away from live view and use the VF more and more. I only use the live view on my 500D for tripod work only. And since it is a set shot. I focus in on the subject and use the cable release to snap the photo. With hand held shot. I only use the VF. .
Me? I would only use the VF - well 99% of the time anyway - it's the Wife I have been trying to please with good LV, but you know what, I may drop tht own the list a bit more..

Quote:
But I really would take a better look at the 450D and others on the market, and find one the fits your ergo needs the best. You have a week to return the 330 if you decide that another camera fits your needs better. So it should not be an issue to keep looking around.

Just a note, the A500 is a larger camera then the A330 and 450D. It is better then both of the them also. And that is reflected in the price. So it come do to weather the extra ability is worth the added cost to you. If you have a budget, and do not want to go pass it, the smaller camera is the better bet. JMTC.
Size is the biggest factor - if its too big, I don't think she'll pick it up - not because of the weight, because I have found they are now fairly light at just over half a kilo - but just the bulk of th carry bag!!

I'm going to redo my list of priorities and see what i come up with. This time I'm not going to rush - I may even reset my budget, and in the meantime whilst searching and saving - just buy something that will do as much as I want with minimal limitations - that way, its a second camera when I do make the move (again).
gadget_sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:39 AM   #52
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget_sa View Post
Thats what I'm thinking now...
Personally, I think the larger grip surface of a slightly larger camera model makes one easier to carry with you. For the small amount of weight difference, you get a more balanced camera (not as likely to be "front heavy" with most lenses wearing it around your neck), with the better grip surface helping to distribute the weight more evenly, versus a smaller grip surface that can feel pinched and put more strain on your hands to shoot with it. More space for camera controls also helps.

There's very little difference in weight, but the extra size can help. You also get a larger viewfinder in models like the Sony A500 as compared to the A330. The kit lenses are very light, so it's not like you're talking a lot of difference in weight between them. You're distributing the weight better with a slightly larger camera with improved ergonomics, even if it does measure a tad heavier, making it easier to carry and use over a longer period of time.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 12:20 PM   #53

yup, that is how the focus works on the 500D. Live view on a dslr is a nice feature when using a tripod, but it is not as functional as the systems on a P&S due to the larger body size.

the a500 is a bulkier camera the the 450D. But if you were going to spend a little more for the a500. I would look at the 500D also, it is the same size as the 450D and the a330. But has better abilities like the a500. The ergo of the 500D is almost identical to the 450D. Unless you are needing to take low light photos without a flash, the a500 and 500d may be paying for a feature you do not need and inflate your budget.

But it is a good idea to redo you priority.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 1, 2010 at 12:28 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 12:39 PM   #54

gadget,

I know what you mean about the wife's need in the camera also. My wife's concern was another one of the factors that lead me to the 500D over a 50D or D90. A bulk camera does not bother guys as much, but with my wife's smaller hands. The larger grips and size did not make it as comfortable for her to handle. I would have your wife go with you to size out the camera also. My wife and I tested ever model we were considering to see how it suited her also.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 1, 2010 at 12:43 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote