Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 27, 2010, 4:19 PM   #1

Default k-x, 450D or d5000 which has best available macro lenses

Hi I have a few projects under way, 2 of the projects involve general indoor photography in standard lighting but the most important project involves photographing jewlery in a lightbox, I have chosen the above cameras for the resonable price and good high ISO performance for the first 2 projects but i think it would make sense to pick the camera based on which has the best macro lenses? any advice would be greatly recieved
dt192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2010, 4:33 PM   #2

Pentax K-x from your list, it has the highest iso at 12800, and the best low light performing sensor in its class. Only the T1i can rival it in this department honestly. The 450D is a very good dslr, but the 1600iso is limiting it's abilities. The D5000 is pretty good at 6400iso, but it suffers because it will not work with the whole nikon lens line up if you want the autofocus to work. And a 50mm fast prime is quite price compare to the canon, and a bit more the the Pentax.

I have a 500D and get to use the pentax k-x allot now. And for high iso, these two are the best in the high end "entry level" market. For macro, if you want to do 1:1, the canon ef 100mm f2.8 or the sigma 105mm are very good macro lenses for it. The sigma has the same lens for the pentax with the same sharpness, and the pentax D-FA 50mm works well.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 4:48 PM   #3

PS

For the canon and pentax you can get sigma 50mm macro f2.8. It is not that expensive for a 1:1 macro lens.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 4:54 PM   #4
Super Moderator

the tamron 60mm 2.0 is great too. and sigma' 70 2.8
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2010, 6:59 PM   #5

First, there are no bad macro lenses.

Second, for shooting in a lightbox, you don't want a long focal length. The Sigma 70/2.8 is probably the longest you should try. And all third party lenses will fit any of the bodies you mentioned, so this doesn't really need to be a criterion for selecting a camera body. But just in case it matters, any macro lens, in fact, any lens will be stabilized on the Pentax; not so with the Canon or Nikon.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote