Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 27, 2010, 10:56 PM   #1

Default First Time Buyer

Hello, Im looking to buy my first Digital Point and Shoot Camera. I dont know to much about what to look for in cameras really. I was looking for a camera that takes good low light photos as if we were indoors at a bar or club, good scenery day and night, mostly like new york city. and is a good portrait camera. I want to stay in the ball park of $300. If anyone can lead me towards a nice quality and sturdy camera i would appreciate it. =)
Noken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 27, 2010, 11:51 PM   #2

Noken-

Welcome to the Forum. We're please you dropped by.

Here is a recap of the compact cameras selling and below $(US) 250.00.

Here is a list of cameras at a price point of $(US) 250.00 and below:

Sony H-20 - 10X optical Zoom - no wide angle - $(US) 220-240 - 10mp
Canon SX-120 - 10X optical zoom - no wide angle - $(US) 190-210 - 10mp
Sony W-350 - 4X optical zoom -26mm wide andgle - $(US) !90-210 - 14mp
Fiji F-70EXR - 10X optical zoom-28mm wide angle - $(US)- $(US) 180-200 - 10mp
Panasonic ZR-1 - 8X optical zoom-25mm wide angle - $(US) 210-230 - 12mp
Panasonic Zs-1 - 12X optical zoom - 25 mm wide angle - $(US) 190-210-10mp
Panasonic ZS-3 - 12X optical zoom - 25mm Wide angle - $(US) 235- 255-10mp

Clearly, the Sony H-20 with the best automatic mode and the best built-in flash unit in class, is the leader. It also does HD video and you can zoom while filming. It does ISO 800 easily, but does show some noise.

The Canon SX-120 is a good basic family camera, with an average flash, standard video and can do ISO 800, but you can see the noise creeping into the images. Standard video which is average.

The Sony W-350 is the newest camera in the group with the highest resolution. It does ISO 800 and 1600 with only a very small amount of noise. It has a 26mm wide angle. The standard video is only fair.

The Fuji F-70 EXR starts at a 28mm wide angle and goes to 280mm It does ISO 1600 with very good looking images, but it also has a rather extended learning curve, due to the EXR system imager. Standard/average video.

The Panasonic ZR-1 has 8X optical zoom, beginning at 25mm. It can do ISO 800 with ease, and ISO 1600 in a pinch. However the indoor image quality suffers due to a very small, and weak flash. Standard/Average video.

The Panasonic ZS-1 has 12X optical zoom, beginning at 25mm. It can do ISO 800 with ease, and ISO 1600 in a pinch showing averagenoise. However the indoor image quality suffers due to a very small, and weak flash. Standard/Average video.

The Panasonic ZS-3 has 12X optical zoom, beginning at 25mm. It can do ISO 800 with ease, and ISO 1600 in a pinch showing noise. However the indoor image quality suffers due to a very small, and weak flash. Very good HD video and you can zoom while filming.

You will notice that neither the Canon SX-120 nor the Sony H-20 have wide angle position on their zoom range. That may have an effect on your camera decision. Also please keep in mind that in the next 30 to 45 days lots of new cameras will be announced and/or introduced so that will have an effect on this list. For example, the ZR-1 will drop from the Panasonic line-up, and the Canon SX-200 may be replace, as will the Panasonic ZS-1 and ZS-3.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:19 AM   #3

bridian-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased you dropped by.

I realize that English might not be your native tongue, and that is perfectly OK. However, I find your post cryptic and difficult to fully understand. You say, "..its quality means megaapixels..." Megapixels are certainly no measure at all, of a camera's quality. So could you please clarify what you mean, so that I can better understand your post. Thank you.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jan 29, 2010 at 9:00 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 8:42 PM   #4

Has anyone taken a look at Sonys new W370? I like the cost 229$ but again i need a camera thats good P&S that i can take out at night and indoors but also be take great shots for when i go study abroad.
Noken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 9:15 PM   #5

Noken-

In reviewing the specifications of the new Sony W-370, it has some nice specifications. However, at least for me there was one glaring issue: there is no true wide angle position on the zoom. The zoom begins at 34mm whic is today considered no wide angle.

In contrast you could purchase the Canon SX-120 for $(US) 199.00 and have just about the same zoom range. The other obvious question is how much electronic noise will be caused by the oversized resolution of the Sony W-370, at 14mp.

The Canon SX-120 seems much less likely to have visible noise in its images due to the simple fact that it is 10mp not 14mp.
So after going through the Sony W-370 camera specifications in fine detail, I will await the professional review, as the Sony W-370 appears that might there indeed might be a few glitches in the mix.

Have a great evening.

Sarah Joyce