Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 28, 2010, 10:36 AM   #1

Default seeking advice on purchase

I need to update my digital camera. Using a nikon cooolpix 7.1, but it is devouring batteries and flash is so slow.

Need a camera, reasonable in cost, to use in my classroom. Students will be jumping over a candlestick, etc. Lots of fun activities in our room!
Thank you!
bookmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:56 PM   #2

bookmuncher-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

No offense intended, but your post is seriously deficient in the information that we need to actually help you in a substantial way.

We really need to know:

Your budget ?

The type of digital camera in which you are interested?

If the photos you write about are just average classroom photos or if they ar action photos than require increased shutter speed?

If you are planing on using (a) the automatic mode (b) the camera's built-in flash unit?

A bit about your camera experience and camera competency?

Thanks in advance for that vital information. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2010, 9:51 PM   #3

Sarah Joyce,

Thank you for your response. As for my experience, I would consider myself at the elementary level. I have just taken everyday photos of flowers, my 3 yr. old grandson, activities and my classes in the library with a Kodak EasyShare and the Nikon coolpix. I'm looking for the best point and shot camera for $200.00 or less. For my personal camera, I could budget $300.00.

Today, we were working on acting out nursery rhymes with prekindergarten. The children jumped over a candlestick while we were reciting the rhyme. I put new batteries into the Nikon and after 10 minutes they were low. I missed several good pictures because of the lag in flash time with the Nikon.

I know that I need a camera with rechargable batteries. I would like to have a better optical zoom than 3x.

I'm not sure if this helps or not, but I appreciate your willingness to try to help me out with ideas of what to purchase.

Respectfully,
Eleanor
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:05 PM   #4

Eleanor-

Many thanks for your reply. If you can boost the budget a bit to $(US) 235 to 245, then you could have the Sony H-20 camera that has the best automatic mode and the best built-in flash unit in its class. It also does HD video and you can zoom while filming. It is powered by a rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery, and it has a flash range up to 23 feet.

As a teacher myself, I certainly understand that it is unusual to get a budget increase. So staying below $200, at $199.00, you have the Canon SX-120 also with 10X optical zoom. It has standard video, and is powered by 2 AA sized batteries. But with this camera, I would recommend rechargeable AA sized Nickel Metal Hydride batteries, which you can get in a four battery pack at Walmart for around S7.00. That four pack would give one set of batteries and a spare set.

Your final choice is the Canon A-2000 which has 6X optical zoom but also has fewer features, a flash range of about 10 to 12 feet and like the SX-120, it use two AA size batteries, so the same AA size battery recommendation applies. The cost is just $175.00.

All three of these cameras have image stabilization.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Jan 28, 2010 at 11:49 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 9:10 PM   #5

Sarah Joyce,
Thank you for your advice. I am going to try to purchase the Sony H-20 for school. If I cannot secure the funds, I'll go with the Canon A-2000. Walmart has it for $159.00.

For home, I am leaning toward the Sony H-20. I love to take pictures. I've been pleased with my little Kodak over the past five years. Maybe, I'll even take an entry level photography class at the local community college.

Have a wonderful weekend. It's snowing here in TN!

Eleanor
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:29 PM   #6

Eleanor-

Thanks for your post. I am sure you will really like the Sony H-20, it is a very good camera. The fact that you mentioned taking photography classes at you local Community College was music to my ears. That is where I teach.

Have a great day, and do stop back with some of your photos and for any help you might need.

Sarah Joyce