Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 29, 2010, 1:41 PM   #11

This is input is great and will leave me a many future sleepless nights, thanks for that! In all seriousness thank you, I had looked at the T1i and now I am seriously considering it. Would these same setups be suggested if in 6-9 months from now I was able to invest another $1k-1.5k in accessory equipment. Like if I were to use a canon 50D with kit lens (maybe loaner from bro-in-law) for a while then get myself an L series f2.8 or still go with a cheaper body and just invest in a "pro quality" lense in the future, still grabbing a better than kit lense now?

Thanks!
ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 1:47 PM   #12
Super Moderator

really there is no reason to not get the kit lens. i would be thinking, what can i get in addition to the kit lens.

also, i still believe the money is best spent on lenses and accessories. sports shooting is not cheap and requires expensive lenses. you will do much better with a t1i and a nice 70-200 f4/2.8 than you will with a 50d and some consumer tele. likewise you other shots, family shots indoors, will do alot better with a t1i and an external flash, than just the 50d with pop-up.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 1:52 PM   #13

Almost invariably, money is better spent on lenses than on cameras.

You're lucky that you have a resource to draw upon for extra lenses. When I bought my Nikon D90, I thought the same thing since my son had a Nikon D300 and a good friend had a collection of Nikon dSLRs. The interesting part is that if you put all our lenses in a pile, there wouldn't be many duplicates. As it turned out, however, though we talk about it often, and even offer to lend lenses to one another, we have yet to do it even once.

It's nice to have that option to fall back on, but you'll probably build your own collection exclusive of your brother-in-law's.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 1:56 PM   #14

The T1i preform very well compare to higher end cameras, it may be in the "entry level" market. But it can compete with the prosumer market camera like the 50D and D90. It is not something that you will out grow anytime soon honestly. And with the cost savings, you can invest in the higher level lens which will give you the shots you seek. The 1 lens kit lens is an excellent value, and will do all the other things you will want to shoot well. And just save up for the ef 70-200 f2.8L IS, and your sport needs will be meet. But if you need more range the 200mm, I would look at the ef 70-300mm IS. I may not be as fast as the L lens, but it pretty good and will give you great reach.

Just know that you may need a monopole for shooting with the ef 50-200mm f2.8 IS with your sport shots as it is not a light lens.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 29, 2010 at 2:55 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 2:37 PM   #15

I suggest you also consider borrowlenses.com. I have used them a few times. No deposit and very reasonable rates. Great for when you have an event that requires a lens you would otherwise not use much and I also use them to try out lenses Im considering purchasing.

I still suggest you check out fredmiranda. Quite a tight active photography community and reputable sellers there with equipment sells in the $10,000's and more, so buying a used body is not necessarily a toss up as some would suggest.

Last edited by Widowmaker; Jan 29, 2010 at 2:42 PM.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 2:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
And just save up for the ef 70-200 f2.8 IS, and your sport needs will be meet. .
Actually the 70-200 2.8 IS isn't a very good sports shooting investment in most cases. IS offers almost no benefit so the $500 you spend on it is better spent in other areas that will have greater impact. 200mm is also too short for a lot of outdoor shooting needs. If you have $1700 to spend there are much better ways to spend it and get better results for sports shooters. It's not that the lens is bad - it's great but it's a poor spend of money if it takes money away from other lenses/accessories that have a better chance of helping you succeed.

It's not very relevant now. BUT, the key to buying equipment for sports use - especially after the consumer level - is to get first hand advice from people that actually shoot sports like the ones you want to shoot.

Now - from a sports shooting perspective, no doubt the T1i is a fantastic performer. The 50d gets you even better focus performance, higher frame rate, better build quality, better shutter life. The 7d improves on every one of those areas again as well as high ISO performance. And, of course, the 1d series improves in all the areas. The key is what others are saying you have to consider the camera PLUS the lens. Will a 50d and 70-200 f4 be a better sports outfit than a t1i with 70-200 f4? Absolutely. But a t1i with Sigma 70-200 2.8 would outperform a 50d with 70-300 IS USM and be more durable plus provide low-light shooting capability. BUT such a lens would be too short for full field soccer or full field baseball (where 300mm is minimum and 400mm more preferred).
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 2:55 PM   #17

I forgot to put the L there, I was referring to the L lens
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:17 PM   #18

Thanks for all the great advice, I'm very interested in the Sigma 70-200 2.8 suggestion, is the ~$800 lense the lense you are speaking of? Also, since I'll most likely be using a monopod (or should I be using a tripod) while shooting does that mean I probably wont need IS? If it doesn't matter monopod or tripod, I think I'd rather use a monopod at least for starters, any recomendations on a decent one?

Could you possibly put the exact model name that you were refering to, my complete noob status cannot differentiate between the various models that pop up when I google Sigma 70-200 2.8. Thanks a mil!

Mike
ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 12:15 AM   #19
Super Moderator

you may have a look at Sigma's 100-300 F4 as well. it gives you another 100mm reach and still keeps a nice decently fast f4 max aperture throughout the range. and it is one of the sharpest in sigma's line, sharper than the 70-200 2.8
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 9:52 AM   #20

Mike,

I am a dedicated Pentax user with four Pentax DSLR's and a whole bunch of lenses of all ranges of quality. I have not used the new K-x but recently advised a nephew of mine on its purchase, and he absolutely loves it. Pentax has closed the gap with its newest models in terms of focus speed, etc, but the selection of fast focusing lenses with it is narrow.

All that being said, I would strongly recommend your going with the Canon, and probably the T1i. This is an exceptionally impressive entry level camera, and a great camera on which to build, especially since you have access to lenses that you can borrow while you are learning. I recently worked with the annual at the school where I teach on a new camera purchase. Since the school already had a Canon DSLR, I recommended the T1i. They haven't let me play with it yet, but I have seen some excellent results with student shooters.

Since you have access to lenses while you're learning, I might suggest just getting the camera and the kit lens. Shoot with it and ones you can borrow till you get a feel for the type of photography you're actually going to shoot, while saving your money for a lens purchase that fits the needs of what you're actually shooting.

Good luck and I hope you have a great experience.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote