Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:27 PM   #41

by the way I'm recommending the 70-200 f4 - $650 or sigma 70-200 2.8 if the OP has to shoot indoors at $750. again, I look forward to seeing the shots you base your opinions on of what gear is and is not necessary for sports shooting.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:33 PM   #42

Again, base on some PM between the 2 of us, some may accept the 80% solution and I am one of those people who would take 80% over spending 1000+ dollars on a lens that may see <5% of my photography time. And I have taken sport shots with the 70-300mm, it is not as good as the L lens, I am the first to admit it. But it does a decent job at yankee stadium. I will not stress about the prefection of the shot. I am not hoping it makes the back page of the NY Post.

I still doubt you have answer my question, if ruthless, who is new, and is not getting a dedicated sport lens. If the 70-200mm is a good lens to carry around for general purpose shooting.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 1, 2010 at 11:36 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:38 PM   #43

I was going with what the OP list base on new prices first.

Yes the 70-200 f4L is a less expensive lens, but it is still very expensive. But is it still not an ideal general purpose photography lens.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 1, 2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:43 PM   #44

Awesome pics by the way (were they the 2.8?). My kids are 6 and 3, yes I am just moving to DSLR but usually when I move into something I move "big", at least I like to think so (lol?). I'm already drooling over the Mark IV, which may be a holiday present to myself in the coming years. I know I'll be begining, and the gear I get will most likely be overkill for what my kids play, but I have a younger brother who is debating on which college to sign up with for a college scholarship in football and younger sisters and other siblings kids and heck even local sports events that I know once I get this hobby going it's going to be pretty full blown. I just want something that will give me more than I need now, but will give me room to grow as far as practice and expertise goes because I don't think I've been this excited about anything in the past 10 years and really believe that this is something I will hold on to for the rest of my life.

So the 55-250 is ruled out that is a no brainer, if it was ONLY outdoor (which is wont be), and you only had 1 lens to bring with you would it be the Sigma 70-200 2.8 or the canon 70-200 f4.

(I'm still curious about the sigma 300 and the canon f2.8)
ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:49 PM   #45

the 70-200 2.8 if you only have one sport dedicated lens. That is a new brainer.

But since you put it that way, you will want to get the 55-250 anyway. It will be a much better general purpose lens. It is allot easier to live with. When walking around, and running around on vacation with the kids. The 70-200 would not be ideal for those situation, take this one for the sport shooting.

But if this camera is primary for sports, the I would move up to the 50D and get the canon ef 70-200 2.8. There will be no compromise.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 1, 2010 at 9:56 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:52 PM   #46
Super Moderator

if you are going to shoot indoor sports, you will want the 2.8. it also takes a 1.4 teleconverter pretty well if you need a little extra reach outdoors later down the line.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 10:02 PM   #47

Ruthless,

Also one of the beauties of the DSLR is adding more lenses. Get the 70-200 2.8 for sports, get the 2 kit lenses for general photography and running around with the kiddies. But you will be getting in it big time. Well over 2000 dollars in gear just to start.

We have not mention the family portrait lenses and fast prime that you may want to use with very wide apertures. Like a ef 85mm 1.8 usm or the ef 50mm 1.4 usm. This can be a very expensive hobby.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 10:06 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Ruthless,

Also one of the beauties of the DSLR is adding more lenses. Get the 70-200 2.8 for sports, get the 2 kit lenses for general photography and running around with the kiddies. But you will be getting in it big time. Well over 2000 dollars in gear just to start.

We have not mention the family portrait lenses and fast prime that you may want to use with very wide apertures. Like a ef 85mm 1.8 usm or the ef 50mm 1.4 usm. This can be a very expensive hobby.
That's what I'm talking about!
Old Feb 1, 2010, 10:17 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post
That's what I'm talking about!
God Bless you.

Get the canon ef 70-200 f2.8L, it will do a great job on both in and outdoors sports. You will not need to second guess yourself about going with the f4L instead. But the sigma is a viable option if you do want to save some money.

But honestly the 2 kit lenses are really good for general photography. They are both very sharp. I have both of them, as my wife also uses the T1i and it is more comfortable for her to handle the camera.

There is no way with all the traveling I do, would I ever consider hauling a 70-200 F2.8 with me. It would be an anchor in my camera bag. But I would like a ef 100-400L for those long distance shots. But I would never carry such a heavy lens.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 4, 2010 at 7:39 PM.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 12:19 AM   #50

I think what I am going to do is a combination of the pool of suggestions here and that is I will probably start off with the 70-200 f4, it really looks like a nice lens, and most of the "sport" shots for now will be in daylight. In the future, if I feel I need to upgrade it will be the f2.8 and I will just sell the f4, I think it will be a good investment getting to know my camera, lens and just how I take shots in the first place. I'm looking to have some fun with this but I do what some quality too! Much appretiated all.