Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 2, 2010, 8:13 AM   #51

If you want to save some money you can look at getting a used L lens form KEH or adorama. But you many really want to head to the shop and try out the ergo to of the lens and camera set up also. It will give you a better idea if you want to get a monopole for it.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 8:50 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post
I think what I am going to do is a combination of the pool of suggestions here and that is I will probably start off with the 70-200 f4, it really looks like a nice lens, and most of the "sport" shots for now will be in daylight. In the future, if I feel I need to upgrade it will be the f2.8 and I will just sell the f4, I think it will be a good investment getting to know my camera, lens and just how I take shots in the first place. I'm looking to have some fun with this but I do what some quality too! Much appretiated all.
Very reasonable plan. You will never regret investing in quality glass. It really does make a difference. Look forward to seeing some of your shots after you get your new gear
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 9:24 PM   #53

So I went to Best Buy to feel the cameras in my hands, even messed around with some of the features and took some shots. I will say the T1i definitely has a less "quality" feel than the 50D, also I noticed you auto focus by pressing the shutter halfway. Is that the only way on that camera, I noticed some videos with cameras that had an auto-focus button, I don't know if this is good or bad but I was wondering how this works when shooting sports. Do you hold the half shutter and track your target or do you just pan with your target and then when you think you are ready you hit the half shutter then take your picture?

As a side note I was able to see how far (or lack there of) the kit lens is, about 5-10 feet seems about as far as I would want to use it so I would definitely need a bigger piece of glass right off the bat. All in all the cameras have me geeked.
ruthless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 9:32 PM   #54

With all dslr, you press the shutter half way to have it AF when using the VF. The T1i also has a * button that is used for AF when shooting in Live View with the LCD. So that is normal.

Yes the single kit lens is good for wider angle, but it is a bit short. If you want a inexpensive general purpose lens. The EF-s 55-250mm IS is a very sharp lens. But the AF if slow. You can move up to the before mention EF 70-300mm IS USM. It is about 2x the price of the EF-s lens. But it would a faster AF and greater reach. The EF 70-300mm is not the idea sport lens. But it can get you some okay sport shots, until you get the EF 70-200 F2.8L IS or the non IS version.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 9:52 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post
... Do you hold the half shutter and track your target or do you just pan with your target and then when you think you are ready you hit the half shutter then take your picture? ...
You pan to frame your subject while holding the shutter button halfway down, and fully depress the shutter button when you want to take the shot (or take the first shot, if you're shooting in continuous mode.) Holding the shutter button halfway down when using AI Servo (or AI Focus) AF keeps the subject in focus as it moves and/or as you pan.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 2:16 PM   #56

Thanks for the tip. As I patiently wait to make the purchase I am now in a bit of a bind, the T2i looks great, would it be safe to assume the IQ will be equal if not better than the T1i?
Old Feb 12, 2010, 2:20 PM   #57

It's a new sensor. Canon's track record on sensors is pretty good but you never know. THe camera won't be available for a month or two and I would never buy a camera just as it came out - wait for issues to be found/resolved first. So, if you can wait until May/June then it might be worth waiting to see how the T2i looks when it does arrive.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 2:44 PM   #58

I was thinking that as well, or at least waiting to see if the T1i gets a price drop and just going big and getting the 2.8L lense with it.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 5:33 PM   #59

I would expect the T2i to be the same as the 7D but dumbed down in some ways and maybe better in others but as for IQ I would expect the same. I find the 7D to be more demanding when it comes to exposure and shutter speed in order to get the best 18mp image. Alot of this is due to the fact that you are viewing more information, which also mean seeing more of what went wrong with a shot. Overall though you can view most of the images at 66% size, which is about like 8mp at 100%, and the image will look as good as any. This not to say you cannot get really good 18mp images.

Last edited by Widowmaker; Feb 12, 2010 at 5:40 PM.
Widowmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 9:05 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker View Post
I would expect the T2i to be the same as the 7D but dumbed down in some ways and maybe better in others but as for IQ I would expect the same. I find the 7D to be more demanding when it comes to exposure and shutter speed in order to get the best 18mp image. Alot of this is due to the fact that you are viewing more information, which also mean seeing more of what went wrong with a shot. Overall though you can view most of the images at 66% size, which is about like 8mp at 100%, and the image will look as good as any. This not to say you cannot get really good 18mp images.
When you say IQ the same do you mean the same as the T1i or the 7D?