Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 29, 2010, 12:55 PM   #1

Default Probably common: decently fast camera?

Hi, I'm new here and I'm just wondering which camera (obviously) I should get. I'm looking for a camera that can take pictures quickly, but not looking at those bigger bulky kinds of cameras. Basically a travel camera.

The only thing is that I see camera recommendations on other posts for cameras like the canon a3000 or a2000 (since a3000 isn't released yet, but will be soon), but when I looked at the specs for the a3000, I saw that the shutter speed (I read that shutter speed isn't everything for speed about a camera when it takes a picture) isn't manually configurable. I guess I'm looking for a camera that has a lot of flexibility with manual configurations, mainly in the quality and speed at which it takes a picture.

Also, I'd like to note that it's a gift and she likes Canon lol
ijamjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2010, 1:24 PM   #2

ijamjl-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

The Canon SX-120 with 10X optical zoom and full manual and automatic controls is a good buy at $(US)199.00 So, too, the Canon SX-200 has 12X optical zoom, it brings the resolution up to 12mp and has more features. It is selling for $(US) 299.00.Both cameras, feature fast operation, with the SX-200 being the speedier of the two.

Either would make a nice gift, and the SX-200 even comes in different colors, like maroon, black, blue, and silver.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2010, 9:02 PM   #3

I trust you with those recommendations, but are there any that may have a little bit of a lighter price as well as a more better looking fit? The design on those cameras are a little...iffy imo

Nonetheless, I do appreciate the recommendations!
Old Jan 29, 2010, 9:25 PM   #4

ijanjl-

I made my recommendations based on photographic performance. Unfortunately you did not provide a budget, so I apologize that my suggestions did not fall within your budget. The Canon A-1100 at $(US) 119.00 is the least expensive camera that features Image stabilization and good photographic performance.

Style-wise, I will have to let you make the choice, as style is very subjective.

Sarah Joyce

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 29, 2010, 10:22 PM   #5

Don't be sorry, Sarah. You're helping me!

Anyways, as you said, the style is my own decision but I thought there would probably be a list of different cameras that I can choose from. Anyways, the price budget is basically $250.00 U.S. dollars and below..

Anyways, all of the cameras so far that were suggested are a bit iffy for their design except for the a3000. Are there any other suggestions?

Also, I prefer if the camera weren't running on double a batteries because I don't really like it.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 9:06 AM   #6

ijamjl-

The Canon A-3000 does indeed run on a lithium-ion battery with 4X optical zoom and 12mp, but it has not yet been released as yet. It will probably be a month or so before it is on dealer shelves. The A-2000 (the current model) has 10mp and 6X optical zoom and is a very good camera and available now.

The Canon SD 1200 sells for around $150-$165 and it is available in colors and has been very popular for its small size.

The Canon 780 is another very small camera with 12 mp, available in colors, and does HD video, it sells for $199.

Hopfullly these hit your style target and all are within your proposed budget. Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce