Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jan 31, 2010, 2:37 PM   #1

Default Between zs1, zr1 and fuji F70. Could use advice

I am debating between these 3 for a compact/subcompact camera.

The zs1 has the best range, (12X) but is bigger ( I do give some weight to shirtpocket size). The zr1 sacrifices at the telephoto end,(8X) but is smaller and has 12 vs. 10 mp (either is ample--I don't blow up my photos). I should mention I had a tz1, so the learning curve on the Pannys would be less.

The Fuji is intriguing as it has a nice range(10X--but starting at 27 vs. 25), mps and is small. It is also less expensive.

What I hope to hear from you guys is the more subjective information. How good are the pix? Is the camera user friendly? Low light and flash (I do mostly outdoors and touristy stuff) and anything else you can think of.
buffaloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2010, 2:57 PM   #2

buffaloaded-

So, it sounds like zoom range and size are priorities, what about budget? Do you need a wide angle? How high is the wide angle priority? Is HD video with the abilty to zoom while filming a priority? If so, how high a priority? Does the budget top out, at say, $250, or at, $300? That pretty squarely puts you into the hottest market niche in the camera market today. The camera manufacturers are now scrambling to introduce new cameras into fit that market niche.

I would caution you about the Fuji F-70EXR camera particularly if you normally shoot in the automatic mode. I a few words, the automatic modes on the F-70EXR just do not produce good results. No, I did not make a typo, there are indeed two auto modes on the F-70EXR. There is a pronounced learning curve to the F-70EXR and the need to make manual adjustments to get good image quality.

Is this need rather immediate, or could you take, say, 30 days to arrive at a decision? I ask that because we have another major camera show coming up in late February, which will bring with it more new camera announcements. However, the the ZS-1 and ZS-3 are a bit larger than shirt pocket size. The ZR-1 is also being closed out as well and it is now below $200.

So give us a bit more info and we can give you are definitive answer. Thanks in advance. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

With the new camera announcements, always come the price reductions on the current model. For example the Panasonic ZS-1 and ZS-3 are now at all time low prices.

Last edited by mtclimber; Jan 31, 2010 at 3:09 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 6:12 PM   #3

Default Thanks for the comments

I will answer them as you brought them up. My budget would be $300 and under--I could go a bit higher if something extraordinary was invloved.

The wide angle is important to a point. I was always dissatisfied with the TZ1 wide angle starting at 35mm. Anything under 28 and under would be OK. And I rarely need anything over 300mm, so I don't mind it won't go to 350mm like the TZ1.

The video is not an issue. I eliminated the ZS3 because of the cost for something low in priority.

Your comments on the Fuji are well advised. I was hesitant because I read to use the EXR you are down to 5mp. With your comments about the hassle using it, I will eliminate it from consideration. I like the ability to use the IntelligentAuto mode in the Panasonics--it sounds hassle free.

My time line is such that I need it for an overseas trip in just over two weeks. With my luck the perfect camera will be announced shortly. Actually, just looking at specs, the soon to be released Olympus 9010 could have been it.

I am surprised you say the ZR1 is being discontinued. It just came out this summer, I thought. Do you have any insight?

I hope this feedback will elicit more comments from you and others.
buffaloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 7:27 PM   #4

Buffaload-

IA works well on some Panasonic cameras. However, for example on the FZ-35, IA is a trap that produces lesser image quality. You can get much better image quality by simply using the "P" for Programed Auto mode.

The ZS-1 is actually quite a good camera. With the price now down to less than $200 it is sort of a "best buy" in my mind. The ZR-1 was essentially a working prototype for Panasonic. It is much smaller (yes, really shirt pocket size) than the ZS-1/ZS-3 cameras, and it was produced for a short time to test the new Panasonic HD image processor, and it was also the first Panasonic camera to test and use the new and improved OIS system. I used the ZR-1 (25 to 200mm zoom range) for a month and was quite impressed by it. It too, is now selling for less $200.

I have not been really thrilled by any Olympus P+S offering in the last 2 to 3 years. However if you want to look beyond Panasonic, I have several students in my classes using Samsung HZ15W model (also know as the WB500 and having a zoom range of 24 to 240mm in 35mm terms) cameras, that seem impressive. In fact, they are impressive enough that I have started doing some research on the camera, as I have zero experience with Samsung cameras, even after having owned over 100 digital cameras.

Well the limit of 2 weeks to purchase and get used to a new camera before travel is tight, so you have to select from what is on the market right now.

Sarah Joyce
Old Jan 31, 2010, 7:58 PM   #5
Super Moderator

I would agree here. Get something sooner or later. Either the ZS1 or ZR1 would do quite nicely for you, its down to whether more zoom (ZS1) or more portability (ZR1) is most important.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 9:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Buffaload-

I have several students in my classes using Samsung HZ15W model (also know as the WB500 and having a zoom range of 24 to 240mm in 35mm terms) cameras, that seem impressive. In fact, they are impressive enough that I have started doing some research on the camera, as I have zero experience with Samsung cameras, even after having owned over 100 digital cameras.
I am on the same quest as you Buffaload. Initially I eliminated the samsung because of the iq... I have really been considering the canon sx200 the issue I have is a price one... I really wanted to stay under $300 and canon is up there in the $350-400 range... depends it occasionally has been on sale for $330.. I like the price point of the fuji.. but it is a little complicated.
Sarah,
you said your students have the samsung... how is it in terms of IQ?
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 10:36 PM   #7

Hi there, Nech-

As I mentioned, I was impressed with my students photos, and they did not want to lend me the camera for the weekend, so I ordered a HZ-15W in for some evaluation. The camera is supposed to be delivered on Tuesday, February 2nd. I have not used a Samsung camera in years, so it should be interesting. I will keep everyone posted on how it goes. Blow by blow! Oops! I mean photo by photo!

Sarah Joyce

Sarah
Old Jan 31, 2010, 11:36 PM   #8

Dear Buffaloaded,
Costco sells the ZS1 currently for a very low price. Under 200. They have a very liberal return policy, so conceivably, you could purchase the camera for your trip, and then return it (hassle-free) within the 90 days if you are not satisfied. Perhaps by then, the magic cameral will have been unveiled. Good luck
tatiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 11:42 PM   #9

That is great information, Tatiana-

It good to see you again. Thanks for contributing to the thread.

Sarah Joyce
Old Mar 7, 2010, 6:31 PM   #10

I have the ZS1 due to the 25mm wide. The IA mode is the second reason as it affords my just looking for the shot and not worrying about what setting I have when I am in my city candid shooting mood. The mixed lighting and not worrying about lugging so much gear around it doesn't lend to enjoying my being out and about to get what I call "grab shots".
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote