Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 1, 2010, 7:37 AM   #1

Default Need Compact P&S Camera

I am looking for a compact p&S camera for a mom of 4. This camera needs to be easy to use and easy to carry. The camera will be used to take pictures of the kids inside and out in everyday activities. The kids are still young so sports are not really an issue.

The MP and zoom dont matter much. It just needs to be turned on and take pictures and video. So an auto feature is important. Also the time between pics is also important.

Thanks
Netman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2010, 10:37 AM   #2

Hi there, Netman-

It good to chat again. What kind of budget do we have for this Mom of 4 with very active kids. If we are at a budget of $250 and below, the Sony H-20 is the best choice. It has a great automatic mode, the best built-in flash unit in the compact zoom class and offers 10X optical zoom, bit no wide angle.

It can take HD video and you can zoom while filming. It is not pocket size, but it does fit into my purse easily. So confirm the budget and we will make the necessary selections.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 10:48 AM   #3

I would say up to $300 if it gets her where she needs to be.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:20 AM   #4

Netman-

That gives us a bit of flexibility. The top camera in that price niche is the Canon SX-200, which you can now find at $299. It has 12x optical zoom (28-330mm), so she will get a wide angle, It can shoot HD video, has a good built-in flash and is a good all around family camera.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:29 AM   #5

Thanks. I will take a look at this camera. Have you used this camera? Do you like this one better than the Fuji 70EXR?

Also i see that the Canon SX-200 is a 12x zoom. The zoom does not need to be that high. A 4x zoom would work just fine in this case.

Last edited by Netman; Feb 1, 2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 12:20 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netman View Post
Do you like this one better than the Fuji 70EXR?
if auto mode is a priority, then forget the F70EXR, its best results come when you properly set up the modes for the shooting situation. its video is pretty poor too.

the canon sx200 or the sony h20 are much better auto mode and have much better video.

if you don't need that much zoom. Canon SD980 has good HD video, the better canon flash of the compacts and has touchscreen (not sure if you consider this a positive or negative)
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 1:16 PM   #7

Hi there again, Netman-

Hards/Dustin described the issues with the Fuji F-70EXR very well. As you said this Mom was using the Automatic Mode, I focused my suggestions on camera that had strong Automatic Modes and good built-in flash units that also worked well in the Automatic Mode.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 2, 2010, 7:29 AM   #8

I checked out a few of the camera listed above. The sx200 seems a bit big for the needs here. Its about 1.5 inches thick. The fuji F70 is about 1 inch thick and more along the size needed. Is there some other cameras that would fit the need here in this size?
Old Feb 2, 2010, 8:53 AM   #9

Hi there, Netman-

No problem at all. And in the process you will save some money. The Panasonic ZR-1 is very small and very thin. It is currently priced below $200. It has 8X zoom, do HD video and you can zoom while filming. The only weak spot on the ZR-1 is it tiny, weak flash that result is just a 6 foot flash range. I t has a 25mm wide angle and the zoom takes you out to 200mm at full zoom. It is a great little camera that can do a lot as long as you can work around the weak built-in flash unit that does affect its indoor performance.

And yes, any camera I recommend, I have actually used and determined its performance.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 2, 2010, 9:07 AM   #10

Thanks again sarah. I was looking at this camera from panasonic. It does look like a nice one but I am thinking the weak flash may be an issue. How could you overcome this for indoor?

I think I am going to try out the F70 with some recommended setting I found on the forums.