Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 1, 2010, 2:55 PM   #1

Default TX1 or 940IS? Coming from 850IS

New to the forums here

I used to have a SD850IS, which I really loved, but I dropped it last Friday and now get the lens error. Very good camera for the past 2.5 years.

I'm looking at the TX1 or the 940IS right now. What I want is something like the 850 but in a smaller form factor because if there was one thing I didn't like about it, it was bulky in the pocket.

I like the TX1 stylewise and it's slimness is a big factor, but I am concerned that it's image quality will not compare to the 850IS. That is why the alternative is the 940is because it's small and would probably be the same as the trusty old 850.

What will I use the new cam for? I won't be printing pics that's for sure. Just casual shooting, nothing artsy-fartsy. I have the Rebel XS for that (xmas gift from my wife, so still a noob)

O and if you guys have other options, better than the models I mentioned, I'd want to hear them.

Thanks!
civicpinoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 1, 2010, 3:06 PM   #2
Super Moderator

coming from your positive experience with your 850IS, i would stick with canon, and have the advantage of using the same software as your XS (DPP etc)

The SD940IS is a good model from canon, has a nice wide zoom starting at 28mm and HD video all in a small package at a decent price.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 7:17 PM   #3

civicpinoy-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

No offense intended to Hards/Dustin. But the TX-1 is a pretty good choice. If the OP was concerned about the pocket bulkiness with the SD-850, the Sony TX-1 solves that rather nicely while offering a new feature set the includes the rather unique Twilight Mode, and the Panoramic Mode.

I see the TX-1 as offering expanded features that just are not available on the Canon SD-series.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 7:45 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
civicpinoy-

No offense intended to Hards/Dustin. But the TX-1 is a pretty good choice. If the OP was concerned about the pocket bulkiness with the SD-850, the Sony TX-1 solves that rather nicely while offering a new feature set the includes the rather unique Twilight Mode, and the Panoramic Mode.

I see the TX-1 as offering expanded features that just are not available on the Canon SD-series.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
duly noted, just was going by his positive experience with canon, but yes, the sony is a great camera as well, thanks for adding that sarah.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:19 AM   #5

Quote:
civicpinoy-
Have a great day.
Sarah Joyce
Thanks Sarah!

TX-1 form factor is awesome.
Dustin does have a good point, getting a Canon again would fit in nicely since I have a Canon SLR and I won't have to get a memory stick. Yea, I know, image quality trumps style, but if image quality isn't sacrificed, why not?

Funny thing is, i was at Best Buy checking the TX-1 and the 780 (no 940 in stock, but they are pretty similar) and for some reason, when previewing the images on the LCD screen, for some reason the Canon's look really clear while the Sony's looked..sort of soft? Or maybe it's just the LCD.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:55 AM   #6

civicpinoy-

Handling the cameras in question is always an excellent idea. Keep in mind that the pixel count in the LCD screen can really affect the perception of sharpness. You might want to check out the photo samples attached to reviews of each camera. You can capture and download the images quite easily.

In the final analysis, the decision is totally up to you. I can see the advantage of steying with Canon. However, I thought that the Twilight Mode and the Sweep Panorama features might appeal to you with the TX-1 which has your optimum forn factor.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:27 AM   #7

Quote:
civicpinoy-

Handling the cameras in question is always an excellent idea. Keep in mind that the pixel count in the LCD screen can really affect the perception of sharpness. You might want to check out the photo samples attached to reviews of each camera. You can capture and download the images quite easily.

In the final analysis, the decision is totally up to you. I can see the advantage of steying with Canon. However, I thought that the Twilight Mode and the Sweep Panorama features might appeal to you with the TX-1 which has your optimum forn factor.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
I checked out the cams at Best Buy yesterday, and it turns out that the reason the pics on the TX1 we're off was because it was set to ISO800 and not to AUTO. No wonder the pics were noisy. The images are more or less the same now, although that's looking at them on the LCD and not on a monitor.

I'm excited to get the TX1, only thing that's stopping me is the $100+ difference in price (includes the memorry sticks). Thought about having the old 850 repaired (camerasandparts.com? I dunno) but it does not seem worth it for $90 especially because you can get a 1200IS for $149 on Amazon.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 1:09 PM   #8

civicpinoy-

You are in charge of the budget. However, I continue to be impressed by the TX-1 and TX-7 images that I have seen in the last 2 weeks. Yes, the canon SD-1200 is cheap, but that price is reflected in its image output as well.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 5, 2010, 1:53 PM   #9

Quote:
civicpinoy-

You are in charge of the budget. However, I continue to be impressed by the TX-1 and TX-7 images that I have seen in the last 2 weeks. Yes, the canon SD-1200 is cheap, but that price is reflected in its image output as well.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
Yea I'm just waiting for the price to go down a bit, no rush to get one yet. I missed out on a deal a few days ago, it was selling for 300 instead of 319, so I'll just wait for that. (Some may think $19 may seem small, but it's worth one memory stick)

I just mentioned the SD1200 because of the minimal price diff between a new 1200 and the repair of an 850, so it's not really worth it.

Thanks Sarah!
Old Feb 5, 2010, 4:09 PM   #10

civicpinoy-

You are very welcome and wise. Since there is no hurry you might as wait for a sale on the TX-1. Good thinking!

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce