Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 2, 2010, 3:28 AM   #1

Default Newbee - need a digital camera with 20x optical lens

I am looking for a camera with a good zoom lens to take photos of my twins surfing ...have been looking at a couple of cameras but as always they have there plus and minuses. I am quite keen on the Olympus SP590pUZ because of the zoom, looking for recommendations in that price bracket. Also at the higher end the Canon Powershot SX1IS. All suggestions welcome just need to be steered in the right direction. Also I am a total novice so the easier to work the camera the better.Thanks
Labiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2010, 9:17 AM   #2

Labiza-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

I own and use the Olympus SP-590. It is a good camera, but not a great camera when used in the automatic mode, while it does have 26X, the longest of all the super zoom cameras, it takes more tweaking with small adjustments to get good image quality than I expect you might want to make. The Sp-590 takes standard video.

At the 20X optical zoom mark there are two camera that seem to offer better performance that meets your personal need a bit better. Both the Sony HX-1 and the Canon SX-20 have strong Automatic Mode Performance. Each camera in addition has added features that enhance the camera's performance.

I own all three of these four cameras, excepting that I own the Canon SX-10 model, the forerunner of the SX-20. If I had to choose between them. The Sony HX-1 would be my first choice, followed by the Canon SX-10, and the Olympus SP-590. I do not own the Canon SX-1
The Canon SX-20 can accept an external flash via its built-in flash shoe which allows you to do much more with flash in an indoor situation, depending on the Canon external flash unit that you choose for the camera. Bounce flash is especially useful, as it softens the light and produces excellent quality flash that is very flattering to the subject. The SX-1 model of this camera uses the same lens and camera body but uses a CMOS based imager, which mades the the SX-1 part particularly adept with HD videos.

The Sony HX-1 has a very powerful built-in flash unit that can extend your flash range out to 25 feet in a pinch. That is very usefull if you are photographing a group or a scene that was quite wide in the horizontal plane. The HX-1 also has a Twilight mode where it automatically combined three shots taken under very low light level condition into a single photograph, taking from each of the three photos the best element of each photo. The Sweep Panorama is also unique to the HX-1 camera. The camera can be hand held, and swept in a panning motion either horizontally or vertically and it takes 10 photos in 1 second, that are then seamlessly combined into a single long panoramic photo. It is a very impressive maneuver.The Sony HX-1 is also fitted with a "G" category lens which produces very sharp, high quality photos. The HX-1, takes excellent HD video and allows you to zoom while filming.

An important issue would be to visit a shop where all of your prospect cameras are on display and to physically handle them. How your hands fit a camera and span the controls is especially important.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Feb 2, 2010 at 9:20 AM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 4:09 PM   #3

Thanks, for the great advice and will visit my local store now you have helped narrow down my choices. Labiza
Labiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 4:18 PM   #4

Labiza-

News just broke this morning about the Fuji HS-10 and Olympus SP-8000. Each has 30X optical zoom. They are due on dealer shelves in April.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote