Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:07 PM   #21

yes the shots are mine. It's bad form to post anyone else' photos (not just sports but any aspect of photography). A 70-200 2.8 is absolutely capable BUT you have to understand some specifics:
1. My flash is mounted BELOW the camera on a monopod - a couple feet away from the lens - this prevents red-eye.
2. I have a 580exII flash - powerful and uses an external battery pack so batteries don't run dry as fast and the flash recharges a bit faster.

3. You have to be patient. The working range of a 200mm lens is 25 yards. That isn't a whole lot. You have to wait until the action is in close enough.

Given all of the above, and given you have a camera capable of following the action in low light (like the t1i) and given you learn how to shoot sports and football then yes a canon or sigma 70-200 2.8 is capable of these results (tamron is too slow to focus). There's a lot of givens there.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:32 PM   #22

Ok thanks good information again.
clloka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 3:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by clloka View Post
I think any forum you visit with varying level of expertise in any medium there will be differing views, and differing levels of experience. Asking the questions and then reading and understanding the responses, even the discussions around advice is the OP's job.

With that being said I am going to plan on stepping back from football for this season. It is a new HS and I am going to try and work with the football parent committee to spend some of the proceeds from concessions etc to hire a photographer locally for some of the games.

So with that, I guess my decision really revolves around whether to get a bridge camera or invest in a T1i for now with limited accessories(external flash to start with) and the kit lens to start and invest over the next year before next summer ('11). If this means I am limited for right now in pictures for sports I guess that's what I will live with and learn the most I can about the DSLR and what I can do within those limitations until that time, until then I can work with family pictures and gatherings etc, maybe spend some time learning the intricacies of the art.

Honestly I think I might need more time to learn photography as a whole anyways to be able to identify exactly how to utilize those higher cost lenses.

So will be buying:
T1i (kit lens for now)
Metz 48 AF-1 flash
Misc - Bag/card etc.

It will take me slightly over the limit, as imposed by the Purchasing Department(wife) but I think I can barter with her.

John, thanks for your information. Someone who is a sports photographer at such a high level spending the time to answer questions is one of the reasons I felt comfortable asking anything here in the first place. As I move forward and start getting around to purchasing the 70-200 2.8 I will most likely ask you questions as I move along over the next year or so. But I do know the limitations of what I am getting into now at least with the budget I have, and the fact I cannot expect to do everything I originally wanted.

Shoturtle, thanks for understanding the questions I was asking and rewording them a bit to help the thought get across.

To you both, beer solves everything so have a pint and enjoy.

Glad to help, photography can be an expensive hobby. And for some, taking it slowly makes more sense. But when you are ready for the bigger move up in lens. The 70-200 2.8 is a great lens. And I know what you mean about the budget department making the decision, the wife has allot of input in the large spending decisions.

If you do get a bag. You can look at something not to expensive right now that will fit your current needs. Some of us have multiple bags. Depending on what we want to carry with us. I personally have 4 bags. A backpack that fits all my gear, a fitted case that fits the camera with a mounted lens, a small sling bag that fits a camera lens and one additional lens. And a messenger bag to fits camera and 2 additional lens. Each has their purposes. So you may want to get a small bag that fits your needs for now.

Also that is a very good setup, and the metz flash is just as good as the canon 430 exII.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 4, 2010 at 6:01 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2010, 3:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Go ahead. Piss off a Moderater. Good idea.
That is okay, this is not a censorship forum
Old Feb 15, 2010, 12:20 PM   #25

Thanks to everyone and now maybe I can strat moving onto some of the discussions around the camera I have.

Just got my T1i, waiting on my external flash and I got approval to shop for the 70-200 or other lens in the fall so, I am on my way.

Now to get through the manual, and actually learn things.

I have seen a link posted, now and then pointing others to online dslr tutorials, I think it was you shoturtle that I saw but I can't find the link again. If it wasn't you or if someone else can point me to the site, I went there once and they had some great info, I just didn't have the equipment to apply any of it at the time.
clloka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 12:23 PM   #26

Try these: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...ategoryid=2533
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote