Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:50 PM   #11

Thank you so much Sarah,
I can't believe that you got the camera at 3:30 and already managed to play with it... and even have time to get online and put up a review -
you are the BEST!!!

K a few more questions
1 - how long did the battery need to charge and is it true it does not come with a charger.. you need the camera to charge the battery?
2 - on the flickr page... the shot that the flash was out of range... too noisy - what iso, apature and shutter speed did it choose - I can't seem to see the exif data... maybe it is a thing that flicker removes it?

Thanks again - looks like i might have found the camera for me - a little larger than I wanted... but not unreasonably so.... funny - I initially was looking at this camera as a serious contender but after reading reviews on it I wrote it off due to poor image quality... just shows you - can't always trust the reviews.. need to play with it yourself...

Last edited by nech770; Feb 2, 2010 at 10:56 PM.
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:06 PM   #12

Nech-

1. The camera is charged with the camera in the camera. However, an external charger and a spare battery cost only $(US) 10.00. because I was in a hurry, I only let the battery charge for 1 hour. I figured that was enough to get me going.

2. I am answering from memory, so I may not be 100% correct. The ISO zoomed to ISO 1000 when the Flash Range got to 17 feet. That is why I recommended using 14 feet as a max Flash Range.

3. The camera is no larger than the Fuji F-70 EXR and also about exactly the same size as the Panasonic TZ-5.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:21 PM   #13

thanks again for the answers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
3. The camera is no larger than the Fuji F-70 EXR and also about exactly the same size as the Panasonic TZ-5.
Really? specs I read were
f70 - 6.3 oz (180 g) 99 x 59 x 23 mm (3.9 x 2.3 x 0.9 in)
wb550/hz-15 - 7.8 oz (220 g) 105 x 61 x 37 mm (4.1 x 2.4 x 1.5 in)
I guess it is more weight than size... it seemed so much bigger...
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:01 AM   #14

Nech-

I had the two of them sitting next to each other, and least to my eyes the F-70EXr seemed larger.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:40 AM   #15

go figure - at least that means there is not a large difference between them
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:45 AM   #16

btw how is shot to shot time?
Old Feb 3, 2010, 9:19 AM   #17

Nech-

The shot to shot time was rather fast for a 12 mp camera. It averaged 1 to 1.5 seconds, based on whether there had to be a flash re-charge or not.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 3, 2010, 11:53 AM   #18

really looks good - now to wait for a sale... it has been on sale here for $249 from $299 I just need to wait for it to go on sale again...
Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:09 PM   #19

have you played with it any more? your insights are always appreciated.
While I wait for it to go on sale - I overheard the guys in the store when I was playing with it say it was set to be marked down this weekend... I was reading the manual that I downloaded...

I had a couple more questions
1 - How is the screen in daylight/bright light... I played with it in the store... but there was no issue with glare there due to the indoor lighting...
2 - I was reading about the motion sensor timer... how does that function work? Does it actually work or is it just gimmicky? I know the canon sx200 has a face detection timer that it will wait til it detects another face before snapping the shot... I guess this is supposed to be the same sort of feature... does it actually work?
3- how are the scene modes? do they work or are they just gimmicks? I was looking at the night, children, backlight, self shot, beach and snow and close up... or am i better off in p mode?
Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:28 PM   #20

Nech-

You are better off in "P" for Programed Auto if image quality is your highest priority. Yes, the Scene Modes and rest of the convenience features make photos easy, but in my opinion, it comes at a cost in image quality.

I am still teaching as well as being a care giver, so no mater what I would like to do, I cannot totally devote my time to the HZ-15W. So I have to follow-up as time allows. I am sure I will not be able to get through every feature. Between now and Monday, for example, beside my usual time demands, I have to create a syllabus and lesson plans for a new course that will begin with the Spring Quarter.

So please understand if the min review of the HZ-15W comes at a slower pace. Also I never intended this to be a full or professional review, but only a user oriented user mini review. Thanks for understanding.

Sarah Joyce