Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 3, 2010, 10:43 PM   #21

Sarah,
I TOTALLY understand and appreciate time constraints... as a busy mom of young children ranging from 5 months to 6yrs I know how busy life can be... as we speak my 5 month old is typing right along with me in this post...

I really appreciate all the help you have given so far... so don't feel at all like I am demanding any more... hope you don't mind I ask questions... if you can answer great if not - I will play once I get the camera.. I am pretty sure I will give this one a go...

About the scene modes... yeah I was pretty sure that the P mode would be best and those scene modes are really more gimmicks than anything, but I figured I would ask... the motion sensor timer/ face detection mode sounds interesting..

BTW you mentioned that you only let it charge for an hr... how much battery did that give you? How much shooting time did you get? Trying to get a sense of the battery life... I think it was rated for about 280pics on a 3 hr charge...
in any event... thanks again...
Nech

Last edited by nech770; Feb 3, 2010 at 10:46 PM.
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 10:20 AM   #22

Nech-

Please keep in mind that a new battery does not reach its full power rating, or meet its stated specifications, until the battery has been fully charged 6 to 10 times. I charged for only an hour just to get off the photos that I needed, and then I fully charged the battery. The second charging took roughly another hour. The CIPA specification on the HZ-15W's battery call for a full charge to provide 280 shots when 1/2 of those shots require use of the built-in flash unit.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2010, 5:20 PM   #23

Nech-

I had a bit of spare time today (06 Feb) so I decided to see how ISO 800 looked on the HZ-15W.

I hope you are enjoying a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Feb 6, 2010 at 5:24 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 5:30 PM   #24

Nech-

Now compare that photo to this photo taken with my Sony HX-1. I think those two photos speak for themselves. My decision is to return the Samsung HZ-15w. Perhaps it is OK as a snapshot camera for some, but I am looking for the image quality that I see in the HX-1, not the HZ-15W.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Feb 6, 2010 at 5:33 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 6:29 PM   #25

Nech-

And I did another photo to cross check my conclusion. This photo was taken with the Canon SX-110, a less expensive camera when compared to the HZ-15W

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Feb 6, 2010, 9:00 PM   #26

hmm I see what you mean about quality.. funny I was going to go get the wb550/hz15 tomorrow - went on sale this weekend... for $245CAD... you think I would get better from the canon sx200 for 319.99 - the issue I have with the sx110 and 120 is the AA batteries, and the shot to shot time is slow...
I am wondering if it was a mistake to return the f70 those iso 800 pics look much better... do you think the f80 would have improved on the auto mode?
Do you have any experience with the casio fh100 or heard anything? again on paper it looks good....
I am sure I will find a camera ... eventually...

Last edited by nech770; Feb 6, 2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2010, 9:59 PM   #27

Default casio not out

oops just realized casio not out yet .. was ces announcement... what is experience with casio or should i steer clear?
Old Feb 6, 2010, 11:44 PM   #28

Nech-

I have never had much success with Casio cameras. But that is all in the past, perhaps they have gotten better. I am sorry to let you down but when I started shooting all three cameras together today, and soon the reality of image quality was easy to see.

The problem I am having with the HZ-15Z may be limited to this sample, I am not really sure. If you can get a 15 or 30 day trial with a return or exchange deal, it might be worth checking out.

I also started to work with a Samsung SL420 today and strangely enough it is not too bad. It is only a $(US)120.00 camera. Bradley took this picture before dinner of me.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Feb 7, 2010, 7:32 AM   #29

I think I am gonna go for the samsung... hz15/wb550 - there is a 14day no questions asked return policy... as long as the camera is returned in resell able condition. From my limited playing with it... in the store with my SD card the results look pretty good.
Will try and upload a few for your opinion.... I really didn't want to spend $70 more for the canon... but if that is what I need to do for IQ then I might have to. How is the shot to shot on the SX120? better than the sx110? My uncle has that and it is PAINFUL between shots and I would miss many of the kids shots.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 7:42 AM   #30

Sarah,
I think I am gonna go for it... the samsung... I have 14 day return policy as long as the package is complete and the camera is in resell able condition.. which to me sounds reasonable... from what I played with - this time in store with my SD card... the pics look pretty good... I will try and post some for your opinion... What is the best way to post and preserve the EXIF data?