Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 2, 2010, 6:08 PM   #1

Default A Quick Look at the Samsung HZ-15W

Because real information on the Samsung HZ-15W was really scarce. I ordered one in for a quick evaluation. The HZ-15W falls into the pocket zoom category as we see in this photo showing the Panasonic TZ-5 sitting right next to the Samsung HZ-15W camera.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 2, 2010, 6:12 PM   #2

Here is a front photo of the Samsung HZ-15W.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Feb 2, 2010, 6:14 PM   #3

Here is the back of the Samsung HZ-17W.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Feb 2, 2010, 6:34 PM   #4

The Samsung HZ-15W has a 10X optical zoom, Using a Schneider lens that ranges from a very convenient 24mm wide angle to a maximum of 240mm. This 24mm photo was taken indoors as it has been raining heavily all day here in Oregon.

A flash from the camera's built-in flash was used to light the photo with the camera set to Auto ISO so that it would raise the ISO setting as required, and as the Flash range increased (Flash Range=the distance, measured in feet from the camera to the subject). The built-in flash lighted this rather extreme wide angle photo quite nicely with no dark corners at all. The photo is also sharp and my husband's skin tone were rendered very nicely.

Sarah Joyce
<http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4041/4326197251_e3b4231a43.jpg/>
Attached Images

Last edited by mtclimber; Feb 2, 2010 at 8:47 PM. Reason: Change photo
Old Feb 2, 2010, 6:58 PM   #5

Here is a 100% crop of the 24mm wide angle photo.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Feb 2, 2010, 7:01 PM   #6

Here is a portrait of my husband taken with the built-in flash.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

Old Feb 2, 2010, 7:10 PM   #7
Super Moderator

the detail to noise reduction ratio is pretty decent for ISO 640 on that last one, esp considering a small sensor 12.2mp.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 7:59 PM   #8

Hards/Dustin

I am now uploading to Flickr becuse these uploaded files do not look good at all. The actual photos are much better.

Overall, I am impressed with this camera that sells for $229.00. It certainly is not DSLR image quality, but it does look much better that what I have posted already. It is a snapshot/ 4" X 6" print quality camera and a pretty good value.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 2, 2010, 8:20 PM   #9

these look pretty good... and now the big question easier to use than f70? Did you need to play with the settings a lot?
A few more specific questions
1- I know there is a smart auto mode... is it really smart?
2-I also was playing with it in the store and for the life of me could not figure out how to change the iso instead of letting it go to auto iso?
3- How is the "framing" mode? Supposedly you can frame and image and then give it to someone else to line up to get the shot you want... useful if I want to hand off to someone else to take a pic of me in it... or is it just a gimmick?
4 - how does it do in low light? Is it comparable to the f70? How does the camera handle photos with flash? Does it up the iso to 800 like the f70?
5 -how is the video on this?not that it is a big factor... but just wondering.
Sorry for the constant references to the f70 but just trying to make a comparison..

Thanks so much for all your help Sarah
look forward to more

Last edited by nech770; Feb 2, 2010 at 8:39 PM.
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2010, 10:18 PM   #10

Ok, Folks, please cut me a bit of slack-

UPS delivered the camera at 3:30pm PST. I had to charge the batter and to do a quick scan of the Owner's Manual. Then I started to take photos. I resized the photo only, so I could post them. So the photos are right out of the camera

However the posting quality was not good. So, I stopped everything and uploaded to this web address:

This is the 24mm wide angle photo taken in our great room with the built-in flash:

www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4326197251/

This is the close up portrait of my husband Bradley:

/www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4326915876/

Here is the sample macro or close up photo taken without flash:

www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4326894994/

Here is another close-up taken inside without flash:

www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4326822680/

Here is another flash portrait of my husband Bradley taken using the camera's built-in flash unit:

www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4326112491/

Here is a black and white close-up, again taken without flash. Notice the sharpness:

www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/4326889508/

Please be sure to to look at the photos on Flickr. They are all captioned and I posted everything. So you will see the good and the not so good.

Then I had to stop and fix dinner and clean up after dinner. So I have been a busy kid.

Now to your questions:

1. The Smart Auto Mode is only sort of smart it is the Automatic Mode that will select what it considers is the appropriate Scene Mode. The Menu is blocked out and you can make no change. I do not suggest the use of the Mart Auto Mode. Things work much better and you get far better image quality when you use "P" or Programed Auto mode where you have full access to the menu.

2. The menu is quick and easy. It is accessed via the "Fn" button and it is not marked "Menu."

3. The Framing Mode is to used when handing the camera over to a strange to take your photo. It puts a frame on the LCD screen and all the stranger has to do is to put you inside the super imposed frame and that centers the photo.

4.The HZ-15W does very well in the image quality department up to ISO 800. The HZ-15W's built in flash will work quite well out to a Flash Range of 14 feet. To take flash photos, you set the ISO to Auto and the camera will increase the ISO as required based on the camera to subject distance. The increase of the ISO is slow and incremental, it does not just suddenly jump to ISO 800.

5. I have not had an opportunity to try the HD video, but I did read that you can zoom while filming.

In the very short time I have been able to work with the HZ-15W, I have formed the opinion that it is a good camera and worth its selling price. I will of course learn more as I take more photos.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Feb 2, 2010 at 10:52 PM.