Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 4, 2010, 2:31 PM   #11

Thanks for the thoughts Sarah. We've got a long time to get out of this mess.

But I've got growing kids and I need to be taking photographs of them. Sounds like the Oly 520 is a good camera that is deifinitely bracketed below the T1i but above the bridge cameras that I first mentioned.

You mention the dynamic range -- I take it that you are referring to manipulating the camera settings to achieve the results in your photos. Is that correct?
Luke Stepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 2:52 PM   #12

Luke -

The most common visual indications of dynamic problems are clipped highlight that cannot be recovered. My work around was to use Exposure Compensation to always keep the the images very slightly under exposed.

That allowed me to avoid the clipped highlight problem and have a very workable image.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 2:59 PM   #13

Default dynamic problem??

That problem sounds like one I don't care to mess with. For a few dollars more I move up to the XSi without a zoom. Does the extra money buy me fewer hassles, or is this issue a minor one?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 3:43 PM   #14

Luke-

To me, the E-520 would not be a hassle at all. However, that is probably due, as they say in the military "time in grade." I have been actively taking photos for 64 years.

So you must decide based on your experience, the Canon XSi is a very good DSLR. I know as I also own one. The XSi is a very good "starter" DSLR. I was just attempting to get you the best price.

All the best.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 4:08 PM   #15

10-4
Old Feb 4, 2010, 5:41 PM   #16

The advantage of going with the XSi is the canon lens lineup. When thing get better and you are ready for a upgrade. You can just invest in a new body and better lenses. Since you will have the kit lens already.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:25 PM   #17

I remember the discussion about the Canon lenses, and that suggestion is a strong argument for getting in the Canon family.

I think ultimately it comes down to a decision that I will have to make regarding how I will use the camera in the end. As grand as my desires might be, I am most likely the casual photographer who needs to buy a camera kit and use it until it dies (like I did with my last P & S).

I just need to get the best one that I can to last until my three year old's college graduation. I think the T1i kit promo was the deal of deals.

I will continue to look at the Oly 520, XSi and T1i.

I really appreciate your time and advice.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:37 PM   #18

Either the XSi or the Oly will fit your needs base on what you have told us. It is always nice to get the shinier and higher end. But if you will not use the features. Then you are just paying more for something you will not use. And the kit lenses are honestly very good, unless you really want to start specializing and getting better lenses in the future, then it can be a concern. But if the XSi is a little high for your budget, just realize olympus's zuiko lenses are very highly regard lenses in their imagine quality and build quality, and you can find a 4/3 lens that is compatible to the canon lenses in abilities.

The XSi and 520 are both excellent cameras with very good abilities. You really can not go wrong with either one of these DSLR, and they both will out perform any p&s.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 4, 2010 at 9:41 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 9:36 AM   #19

Thanks, that's what I need to hear about those two cameras.