Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 4, 2010, 2:30 AM   #1

Default Passed on the T1i - help on new purchase.

Ok, here is the deal. I got a lot of great advice on a DSLR purchase a couple of months back and it was apparent that the T1i met my needs for photos of my kids (age 3 and 5 1/2) and future use for sports and wildlife shots.

As the new year started, my business slowed down and I opted not to spend the money on the T1i. Now it appears my 5 year old P & S is about to die.

I am looking for a good camera to get photos of my kids with very good resolution. In the past, the shutter speed of the P & S caused me to miss shots.

Having said that, I am looking for something to get quality shots of my family -- speed and resolution are what I need to upgrade, and I expect to see a big difference in newer cameras that are on the market. Sports and wildlife photos are secondary.

I have noticed a fair amount of discussion on the bridge cameras (FZ 35 and sx20). Are these cameras that can keep up with two rambunctious kids?

I was looking at +/- $900 on the T1i kit, so my budget is well below that (the less I spend the better). I will also need a camera for work, and this will probably be used until I can pick up a cheap P&S.

Do any of you have preferences for what I am looking for?
Luke Stepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2010, 6:30 AM   #2

Default Still want a DSLR?

if so, the Oly E520 is still available with two very decent kit lenses (14-42/40-150) for a bit more than half your prior limit. This place even throws in a 4 gig card and I've never had any problem dealing with them. (and I have bought a fair amount from them over the years)

http://www.buydig.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=OME520KT2

Still have instant shutter. The sensor is much larger than any point and shoot or superzoom, and you can still upgrade with new lenses as your desires and finances allow.

Greg
fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 8:17 AM   #3

Greg that is a excellent deal, and is is about the same price as a high end bridge camera listed like the sx20 and fz35, and gives you even more ability.

Luke,

Do you have a time frame for your purchase. The rumor has it that the canon XSi and XS will be replaced soon. If they do announce the 550/600D, the price of both the XSi and XS will start to come down when the new model arrives. And you get to get your instance shutter speed still.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:13 AM   #4

Default time frame of purchase

I might can wait on my purchase depending on how my camera behaves the next few times I use it. I have one I can borrow or awhile.

How does that Oly compare to the XSi and XS (processor, shutter speed)? The kit with a zoom would be nice, but I really am just looking to get the best camera for good quality photos of my kids and a zoom would not be used until later in the game.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:24 AM   #5

They are pretty close in performance. The XSi has the edge in low light with the bigger sensor, but both will be a large improvement over what you are using now. The oly has the best kit lenses on the market. And both the oly and the xsi will out perform all the bridge and point and shoots out. Both have allot bigger sensor then what they have.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 4, 2010 at 9:29 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:58 AM   #6

So if the XSi and the Oly are comparable cameras, I am finding the XSi with the 18-55mm at about $590. The Oly with the 14-42 and 40-150 is $480 - maybe that is my camera. I'll continue to read any throughts or comments.

How about thoughts on used cameras from a reputable vendor?

Question on the T1i - the promotional price on the kit was exceptional, and I keep hearing that Canon will come out with more promotions. Is this a regular occurance or will it be a Christmas shopping season promo?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 10:02 AM   #7

I would rather buy a refreb over used. At least with a factory referb form say adorama you get a 1 year warranty.

It was their xmas promo. But after pma you will most likely see deals and promo on the xs and xsi. When I purchased the t1i last june, it did not have the promo till the end of oct beginning of nov. And now it just went back to pre x-mas levels.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 10:12 AM   #8

When is pma? Am I looking at Oct-Nov. as you mentioned?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 10:21 AM   #9

Right now till the end of the month. The biggest show for photo electronics.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 4, 2010 at 10:24 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 10:23 AM   #10

Hi there. Luke-

On behalf of the Forum we extend our prayers and sympathy for the travail that you are currently facing. It is a difficult time and our prayers include you and your wife who coping with very challenging family times.

I have shot with the Olympus E-520 for a long period. It has a decreased dynamic range. I found that as long as I stayed slightly on the under exposure of things, everything went very well. The two lens included with that kit are really good lenses. The 14-42mm, the so called kit lens is a real winner and I used is a great deal. It was my favorite. The E-520 is fast, with good shot to shot times. I believe that it will perform well for you.

We send you our best wishes. Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote