Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 4, 2010, 7:54 AM   #1

Default Kodak EasyShare Z950 - any opinions?

In my quest for cameras - I have now ruled out the fuji f70, and was going to go get the samsung wb550/hz15 when I came across this one...
the Kodak EasyShare Z950 - anyone have experience or thoughts on this camera? How does it stack up?
I was thinking Kodak has been in cameras and film longer - maybe better to go with them over samsung?
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:31 AM   #2

Nech-

I have and only on very rare ocassions use the Kodak Z-950. Unfortunately it appears far better on paper than it does actually in the field taking photos. In two short words, it is plain vanilla. My biggest complaint was I never know where it is focusing, and that the photos end up quite softly focused anyway, requiring post processing help, big time.

The shot to shot times are below avarage. Years ago I was a big supporter of Kodak and have shot with the wonderful Kodak cameras of the past like the P-880. The Z-950 is not a part of that old tradition.

It is not a camera that I would suggest. Have a good day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 11:50 AM   #3

thanks sarah for the info after doing some reading and realizing it doesn't have wide angle ruled it out.. I remembered that kodak made lower end stuff. as you said on paper looks good.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 3:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nech770 View Post
.. I remembered that kodak made lower end stuff....
If you search the 'Kodak' forum here, there are few threads there about the Z950.

While Kodak's superzooms are certainly lower end in price, some of their older models are pretty good. They are outstandingly small and light for their specification.

I am delighted with my Z712 workhorse (May 2007), and its Z1012 backup (Oct 2008), with which I have taken thousands of shots each year. Sarah Joyce (mtclimber) is enthusiastic about them as well.

Apologies for taking your name in vain, Sarah Joyce.

Last edited by Alan T; Feb 5, 2010 at 3:57 AM.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 7:16 AM   #5

Sorry about dissing kodak... I guess I assumed it was a case of you get what you pay for... and when I looked at kodak cameras WAY back... they seem more like toys.. plastic bodies and seemed flimsy... but that might not be a sign of pic quality... sorry if I offended anyone...
Old Feb 5, 2010, 9:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nech770 View Post
...plastic bodies and seemed flimsy... but that might not be a sign of pic quality... sorry if I offended anyone...
No problem! It's partly true! As this is the 'What camera to buy' forum, I just didn't want the whole Z range to be tarred with the same brush.

Owners of the many excellent superzooms costing twice the price or more will justifiably feel that these earlier (plastic-bodied) Kodak Z-series superzooms (612, 712, 812, 1012, 1015) seem flimsy compared with their own more solid machines. However, I like to carry mine around most of the time when out & about, and you pay for solidity in weight, and sometimes size.

I quote the size & weight at http://forums.steves-digicams.com/what-camera-should-i-buy/135879-help-need-good-compact-high-zoom.html

It's worth noting that the series have very good Schneider-Kreuznach lenses.

Last edited by Alan T; Feb 5, 2010 at 9:11 AM.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote