Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 4, 2010, 8:03 PM   #1

Default I cannot decide on three completely different cameras...

I've been trying to decide on three considerably different cameras, as each has their own advantages and disadvantages to me.

The three contenders are:

Canon S90

Canon G11

Olympus E-P1

Now, I should tell you how I am planning on using this camera. I have a small point and shoot camera (Canon SD1000) already, but am not 100% happy with it, as inside shots were terrible with the camera. Going into my research, I decided that I wanted something that I could tweak and experiment with, possibly turning into a true hobby. Portability has a small factor in what I how I want to use the camera. It didn't exactly need the camera to slip into my jeans pocket, but a jacket pocket or my shoulder bag I usually have with me would do.

If portability was the sole factor, the S90 would win hands down, however, I want to take great pictures too, but my lack of experience does play into why I don't have a huge budget to get one of the other Micro Four-Third cameras out there. I ruled out the unreleased Olympus because I don't want to deal with the menu to get to the tweakable settings.

Any help would be great, even other suggestions for other cameras (all though that would complicate things a bit. :P)!
Dregur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 4, 2010, 8:14 PM   #2

dregur-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

Its only my opinion, but I sincerely believe that the Canon G-11 offers the best compromise situation. It does very well with high IO capability, Has a reasonable Auto Mode, as I am assuming that you will want to use the Auto Mode, and it is not overly large.

The Olympus EPL-1 is a peper only camera that we will not see for another month or two. At $599, I find myself reluctant to hand over the credit card until I can read a professional review. In contrast the Canon G-11 has begun to fall in price.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2010, 8:15 PM   #3

I would go with a micro 4/3. The just announce EPL-1 form olympus, msrp is 599. It is less expensive then the EP-1. They are shipping them in march, should be in the store in April. And it gives you a flash and the option to add a electronic viewfinder later. Also between a m4/3 and any point and shoot. The 4/3 format will out perform both the g11 and s90 in low light do to the larger sensor. Also if you plan to move deeper into photography both the ep-1 and epl-1 will give you way more options with adding lenses to suit your needs later.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 8:20 PM   #4

PS

I will most likely get the EPL-1 after all the announcement of new camera's at PMA. It has the guts of the proven EP-2 and E-620. I need a great smaller camera with options of a dslr to augment my T1i. And I was planning to get the EP-2 until the EPL-1 was announce. It seems to fit my bill exactly.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 8:27 PM   #5

Yes on the compactness the canon's has the edge being very small with the S90. And both the G11 and S90 are smaller then the epen's.

But compare to the bigger sensor of the of the EP-1 that is from their E series DSLR neither canon's will not be able to match the pen's IQ or low light abilities.

With the kit lens vs the fix lens of the canon's they are about the same. But given the ability of the pen's to change lenses. That opens up a whole new realm that the canon's can not go. And the difference of 100 for the G11 and EPL-1 it is not that bad. Now if your budget was say the S90. The EPL-1 is allot more expensive.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 5, 2010 at 8:54 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote