Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 5, 2010, 4:26 PM   #1

Default Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX (m4/3 mount) on Panasonic LUMIX G1

The reason I do not post this iquestion n the Panasonic / Leica dSLR-Forum (where it really belongs...) is that there is hardly anybody there, and all the complex know-how of lens-design and -match, seem to be in this here forum:

I really love my G1 and I hate to let it go in exchange for a new system (Nikon or Canon) because I miss a decent wideangle-lens for it. What I reallt want is something like the famous Tokina11-16mm f/2.8 - but, alas, its only available with Nikon- and Canon-mount (yes, according to the news, the new Alpha mount as well..but that's no option for me).

And I also know, there is the (unknown so far...) new Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm f/4 ASPH, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...io_7_14mm.html and I woul love to try out this smooth-looking 'teaser' - but this is never going to happen. In Norway this lens costs NOK 10.360,- which is the eqivalent of $ 1.771.-

For that price, I could almost buy a Canon 500D / T1i AND the Tokina 11-16mmm!!!!

What will happen if I buy the Sigma 10-20mm f4.0-5.6 EX DC HSM for Four Thirds http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/559263-REG/Sigma_201107_10_20mm_f_4_5_6_EX_DC.html to put on my G1 instead? Besides the slower 4.0-5.6 of course...

The Sigma's cost is more in my league: NOK 3.999,- which is $ 684,- (almost 1/3rd of the Panny-lens...) and I could afford one.

- What's the catch with this, for me, affordable, lens, as compared to the Panny 7-14mm?
- Will it work like another m4/3-lens on my G1
- How about the metering? AF, just lik my 14-45mm kitlens?
- Autofocus, just like my 14-45mm kitlens? I dont' want to go manual - that's for shure!

-....or am I missing something her?

--------------------------------
P.S.: I realize that I need to get some sort of adapter between the Sigma and my G1 - which one would do the trick...?

Last edited by Walter_S; Feb 5, 2010 at 4:33 PM. Reason: Adding a P.S.: and rooting out spelli'es... :o/
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2010, 5:08 PM   #2

Walter I was at the store again today, and was playing with the ep-2 one last time to see if I would miss not having a dial with the EPL-1. And I tried the plan set up I was looking at with the panny adapter one the ep-2 with an olympus 35 mm macro lens and all the features work without and issues. I also put a panny lens on the ep-2 to see if there would be any issue, again it work flawlessly. actually the panny lens on the ep-2 body was faster then the oly m4/3 lenses. So on the function aspect there will be no loss of ability going with a 4/3 lens.

As how good the sigma lens it, I do not really know since I have never brought one, almost couple of times, but always found a deal on a canon equivalent one.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 5:27 PM   #3
Super Moderator

not all 4/3rd lenses autofocus with the m4/3 to 4/3 adapter. i am not sure about the sigma and could not find anything with a quick search
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 5:32 PM   #4

Just did some research, only the oly 4/3 lenses support CDAF that a m4/3 lens needs to AF properly. Sigma lenses does not support CDAF currently. So the oly 9-18mm WA would work without issues.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 5:36 PM   #5

m4/3 cameras automatically correct for optical distortion for lenses they know about. The Sigma 10-20/4.0-5.6 probably doesn't fall into that category, and that lens has more than its fair share of distortion, vignetting and chromatic aberration, especially when compared to the Panasonic 7-14/4.0.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 4:02 AM   #6

Hi Walter,

I'm not sure if Shoturtle was referring to the new Olympus 9-18mm MicroFourThirds lens or the 9-18mm lens used in the full size Four thirds.

But, to be clear, Oly last week announced the release of the 9-18mm lens for MicroFourThirds. It is to be available in May and the MSRP is 699.00 USD.
It would be fully compatible with your G-1 minus image stabilization.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 4:15 AM   #7

Actually I was referring to the 4/3 lens, but m4/3 and the full 4/3 when you factor in the adapter are pretty close in price. 699 vs 480 + 120 = 600.
Old Feb 7, 2010, 4:28 AM   #8

walter,

Here are couple of reviews I was looking at of the oly full 4/3 lens. I came across a norwegian review, but I was not sure if the translation was accurate.

http://torontowide.blogspot.com/2008...ko-9-18mm.html

http://lenstip.com/164.1-Lens_review...roduction.html

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 7, 2010 at 4:33 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 4:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Actually I was referring to the 4/3 lens, but m4/3 and the full 4/3 when you factor in the adapter are pretty close in price. 699 vs 480 + 120 = 600.
Hi,

Understood. I did want to point out to Walter there was an additional option.
Also, the mFT 9-18mm lens is optimized for all mFT cameras as well as being half the size of the FourThirds 9-18mm lens.
Zig
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 8:08 AM   #10

But, again, non-m4/3 lenses aren't likely to benefit from the automatic correction that m4/3 lenses would. That would give m4/3 lenses a significant edge in performance (if you don't mind the "correction".)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote