Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:06 PM   #1

Default Sony H20, Canon G11, or Fuji F200EXR - which to choose

Hi - I want to know which of these 3 cameras would have the most versatility in the auto mode/s. I know they all have different strengths and weaknesses probably. I heard the Fuji Fine Pix F200 EXR is good in indoor light. The Sony Cyber-shot DSC H20 - has good zoom and photo and burst shots but narrower lens. And the Canon G11 - I heard is a good overall camera.
I'm looking for a camera that will be the most versatile in the auto setting mode for a wide variety of indoor low light and outdoor scenes/vistas/and the light and shadow of nature shots - and also people indoor and outdoor.
My former 35 mm Pentax IQzoom928 film camera took great pics for me around the world - Italian Alps (cold weather), Peruvian Amazon (humidity), deserts of the middle east - as well as great foliage and people shots in other tropical locations - but also took great indoor - medium and very low light shots for family group pics and holiday funtions etc. etc.
I've narrowed my choices to the 3 cameras mentioned above- and need advice as to which would be the most versatile and user friendly camera - to take a wide variety of photos - mostly on the auto setting/s - so I don't have to worry about missing pictures that I may only have one chance at.
Again, any help would be so greatly appreciated - and thank you in advance. (Also - if someone has any other camera recommendations I'm open to that as well)
Money is not the most important issue - quality of picture is - and ease of use without fiddling with a bunch of manual settings - unless I might want to later. The scene modes on my old film camera served me well.
Thank you so much in advance..........
AlohaKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:16 PM   #2

Does HD matter much to you.

With the G11, you can get add on lens and adapter, letting you add a wide angle lens, a macro lens or a TC for more range. And if traveling is a concern the G11 is very compact. I looked at this camera quite a bit, but I think I will opt for a new oly EPL-1 as it gives me more option coming form a dslr background. The G11 seem to be a very nice set up in the point and shoot/bridge camera market.

But the DCS H20 and F200 are also very good cameras, but I have not play with them as much as the G11.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 5, 2010 at 10:53 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:44 PM   #3

Default ty

Thank you - I'm not as worried about HD - I plan on getting a dig. camdorder later - as long as I have a decent video to get something quick if I want. I'll check out the olympus you mentioned. Thank you!
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:45 PM   #4

AlohaKid-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

Of the cameras selected, that is able to the most versatile, like your older Pentax, would be the Canon G-11. It has reasonable zoom, an excellent low light shooting capability, a great automatic mode, and a very useful hot shoe, all in a very compact and convenient package.

The Sony H-20 has multiple virtues, it is the best camera in its class for its automatic mode, it does HD video and you can zoom while filming. The H-20 also has the best built-in flash unit in the class. Its somewhat slower lens makes the H-20 less capable for low light level shooting.

The Fuji F-20 is a very capable camera that uses Fuji's very unique EXR system, that has a real learning curve to it. The camera is not operating at it best in the automatic mode, and require multiple manual adjustments to get the most from the EXR system.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:46 PM   #5
Super Moderator

the G11 will be your best bet for non-flash low-light pictures, and gives you good landscape pictures with its decently wide-angle lens. the flash is pretty darn good on it too and can take any of canon's external flash. probably the most versatile camera of those 3 mentioned.

if you need a longer zoom, the H20 is a great camera. and for indoors shots with flash, it offers one of the best flash ranges of any smaller digicam. but the lack of wide-angle lens hurts its use for landscapes, scenes.

they both do great in auto-mode, while the EXR system from Fuji can be a bit frustrating in auto-mode. the f200 a bit less so, but still to get the best out of it, you would not want to shoot in auto.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:46 PM   #6
Super Moderator

lol Sarah, we typed up pretty much the same thing at the same time.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:48 PM   #7

Dustin-

I guess we were thinking along the same lines of thought.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 10:56 PM   #8

Default Wow - txs u 2

What a quick reply from both of you - and it is nice to get a similar recommendation fro you both - along with the why's. I was concerned about the Fuji - thank you. I do like elements of the Sony cybershot - but I needed to hear that about all 3 camera's - I was leaning toward the G11 - but just wasn't sure - now you two made my decision easier - thank you soooo much - and I can't believe how quickly you answered - ty ty ty! Greg
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:05 PM   #9

The oly has 720 HD, and if imagine quality is your biggest concern. The M4/3 format of the oly will out perform the canon in every environment due to the way larger sensor size. And you can shoot in full auto.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 11:24 PM   #10

Default ty

Thank you shoturtle - I'll check the Olympus out right now -