Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 5, 2010, 9:19 PM   #1

Default i would like some suggestions please

hi everyone... I am looking to buy a new camera. I don't know what to get. I have a simple point and shoot Sony 7mp cybershot now. I had a canon s3 IS which disappeared somewhere, and I want something new.
I don't have any kids or travel too often, or anything particular that I plan to photograph. So I guess I will be taking indoor and outdoor shots.
I like the smaller camera for casual photos, but I liked the zoom on the Canon. I was thinking of getting a DSLR but I don't want anything too complicated. I don't want a camera that is too big, I have very small hands I want something that is fun and easy to use, that can be automatic, and that I can learn with - I want to try and see if I can take up photography as a hobby. I have a gift card for 500 dollars but can spend a couple hundred above that if necessary.
What would you get? Another small point and shoot with higher MP? A "prosumer" model? Another Canon Sx series with zoom? Or a DSLR with a smaller body? thanks so much! Mandy
mandyfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2010, 9:23 PM   #2

Oh, I did like the flip out screen but it is not mandatory, but a viewfinder is preferred.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 9:30 PM   #3

If you want something with more manual control and still give you the size of a point and shoot. You may want to consider a canon g11. It does not have a big zoom, but takes very nice photos.

If you are looking seriously about picking up photography as a hobby. A dslr would be the way to go. And if you are looking for a small dslr. The olympus e620 is the smallest dslr on the market. You can use it in full automatic mode also. And it has allot of art filters so you can do different effects to your photo if you want like some point and shoots.

But if it is still to large, you may want to consider one of olympus's pen camera. It gives you the options of a dslr and the size of a bridge camera. You can change lenses on them like a dslr. Olympus just announce a new one, the EPL-1 that will be in the store in April it is priced at 599 dollars. It is design with a user interface that is easier for point and shooter to understand as they progress further into photography. It is about the size of the SX20 from canon.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 9:30 PM   #4

with the epl-1 you can add an optional electronic viewfinder.

Another option is the panasonic GF1, very similar to the ability of the epl-1 and you can add a electronic vf also.

Both of these camera's uses a much bigger sensor then any point and shoot or bridge camera. So they will give you higher imagine quality.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 5, 2010 at 9:38 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 9:32 PM   #5

Here are some links to the oly epl-1 and e-620

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...&page=overview

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...p?product=1452
Old Feb 5, 2010, 9:37 PM   #6

PS

I would hold off buying anything this month, as PMA is going on. And there will be allot of new camera announcements.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 9:40 PM   #7
Super Moderator

the Canon G11 gives you a vf and a flip out LCD, as well as being quite compact and useable in auto mode, decent zoom range, and good low-light performance. its really quite a nice learning tool for those not ready to step up to DSLRs and mirrorless interchangeables.

if you yearn for the zoom range of your s3, Panasonic's FZ35 is a similar style camera, that is probably the best of the bunch in this genre right now, has a great popup flash for indoors, great lens, not quite as good for low-light as the G11 but gives you more flexibility with zoom.

if portability is paramount, there is wealth of newer models in this compact super-zoom category (pocket cams with large zooms). good models include the Panasonics ZS series (ZS3,ZS5, ZS7,etc) better outside cameras than inside, Sony's H20 great flash but limited wide angle, Sony's new HX5 this one looks great if the image quality holds up, etc.

the small entry level dslr market is quite good right now as well. on the 500-700 price range the E-620 previously mentioned is nice, Pentax's KX is an outstanding performer and quite small and light, the price has come down on Canon's XSi, Nikon has its D3000.

and the newest players are the EVILS, think dslrs with electronic viewfinders for simplicity, are a hot item. gives you interchangeable lenses and approaching dslr image quality in a small package. the EPL-1 was mentioned previously, and then Panasonic has a few including the slr-like G1 which would be in your price range.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 9:41 PM   #8
Super Moderator

it may be worthwhile for you to go down to your local camera store, or wherever you have access to the most cameras and play with some different styles of camera. try a few dslrs, see how comfortable you are with the shooting, the size, etc. try some superzooms like the FZ35, Canons SX20. try the G11, try some compact superzooms.

this will give you alot of insight on what you will be most comfortable shooting and which camera you will be happiest with.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2010, 9:42 PM   #9

thanks, I am going to research these suggestions!!1 I guess the Canon XS (i) and the Nikon D series and A series are not what I should be looking at?
Old Feb 5, 2010, 9:48 PM   #10

The canon XSi is a very good dslr, so is the nikon Dxxxx dslr, but they are a bit bigger then the e620. The XSi will most likely get discontinue in the next couple of month as it seems canon will be announcing the XS and XSi replacement this month.

The Nikon D3000 and D5000 may be in the same boat. But I am not to big of a fan of theirs because they can not use all the nikon lenses and have auto focus. If I were to get a nikon dslr, I would go with a d90. But that is a lot bigger camera and will double you budget.

Also only the nikon D5000 and olympus e620 have the flip screen in the dslr field in your price range.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 5, 2010 at 10:10 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote