Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 7, 2010, 3:39 PM   #1

Default Pick a card, any card...

I haven't seen any discussion on the memory cards we use to store, at least temporarily, our precious moments.

Secure digital- high capacity seems the most prevalent and cost effective unit available. Compact flash cards are on their way out, I think. Other formats seem rather proprietary and priced accordingly. (Let's see if that causes a stir..)

In looking at the SDHC category, what brands and speeds have served you adequately?

I'll start - I've had good luck with PNY, SanDisk, and OTC. By 'good luck' I mean at least one year of service under high usage conditions (PDA, actually).

I had a bad experience with "A-Data", and had no desire to try them again.

I see quite a difference between rated speed and actual speed, especially between the different brands.

Taking this even further, does a '4' speed work for 1080p video, or is '6' a must?

What has your experiences been?
iowa_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 7, 2010, 3:41 PM   #2

Is it schizophrenic to reply to myself?

I also took a look at Lexar cards - seems like they have a high-end priced set of cards, and some very low-end priced cards. How do they fare?
Old Feb 7, 2010, 4:01 PM   #3

I have had the best performance from Sandisk cards. If you are looking for lower cost rather than speedy performance, then Kingston is very reliable.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 4:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa_jim View Post
Secure digital- high capacity seems the most prevalent and cost effective unit available.
SDHC cards are preferred by camera manufacturers because of their small size and good performance.

Quote:
Compact flash cards are on their way out, I think.
Not so. CF cards are popular in larger camera bodies, and typically offer slightly better performance than SDHC cards, at slightly lower cost. And CF cards are very popular in other devices (network routers, for instance) where size isn't a consideration, and so aren't likely to go away any time soon.

Quote:
In looking at the SDHC category, what brands and speeds have served you adequately?
I've been very pleased with the performance of SanDisk and Lexar cards I've used, and been disappointed in Kingston cards.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2010, 7:39 PM   #5

I use delkin and panasonic class 6 cards, they have perform well and have had no issues.

CF card have gotten way faster then sdhc with the udma. 50mbs+ is not unheard of. If you want speed CF udma is the way to good.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 7:04 AM   #6

I've never had any bother with Sandisk cards, and up to now fingers crossed, with a fast Lexar. What makes you think CF is on it's way out?
Gypsyrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 6:09 PM   #7

I think CF cards are on their way out because so few devices continue to accept them. The CF type 2 fell flat - devices that would have used them didn't have the battery power to support it. I took a look at what Shoturtle was suggesting and sure enough, the $175 for 16gb CF cards are smokin' fast.

I don't have any insider info, I just see them used less and less.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 6:14 PM   #8

For photography CF card will not be replace by SDHC anytime soon. Especially with the new UDMA. All the higher end camera us CF. And actually we go through a ton of CF cards at work. For the consumer application, the SDHC is more convenient, but on the industrial side of the market, CF card is what is used most.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 6:20 PM   #9
Administrator

Higher end dSLR models use them because they're so fast. ;-)

For example, a Canon 7D can write at approximately 53MB/Second to the latest 600x cards from Lexar, and almost the same speed to the latest 533x Cards from Photofast. These are very fast cards. You can't buy SDHC cards that fast. See Rob Galbraith's tests of them here:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...=7-10044-10297

Also, CF cards are available in larger capacities compared to SDHC. SDHC is limited to a maximum of 32GB (a format design limitation).

Yet, 64GB CompactFlash cards have been shipping for a while now, and 128GB cards have already been announced (and may have started shipping by now).

A number of newer cameras being announced lately are using SXDC cards instead, because they don't have the limitations associated with SDHC. But, the host design is such that if a camera can use SXDC, it can also use SDHC. That doesn't work the other way around (you can use the new SXDC format it a camera that doesn't know how to support that card type).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 6:24 PM   #10

Quote:
I think CF cards are on their way out because so few devices continue to accept them.
CF cards, and their slots and support electronics, are big, and so take up a lot of space inside the camera body. If you're trying to make a smaller camera body, you'd pick SD over CF just for that. But for larger camera bodies, especially 'Full Frame' dSLRs, there's still plenty of room for CF Cards, and their additional speed is welcome considering the time to transfer those 20+ Megapixel RAW files.

Quote:
The CF type 2 fell flat - devices that would have used them didn't have the battery power to support it.
Actually, the CF Type II card was instituted solely to support IBM's Microdrive, which, at the time, offered better performance and higher capacities than flash memory devices in CF Type I cards. Since then, flash memory has gotten denser and faster, and Microdrives turned out not to be very reliable. Hence the fall from grace of the Type II Card.

Last edited by TCav; Feb 8, 2010 at 6:27 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote