Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 8, 2010, 1:02 PM   #1

Default How long does it take from camera announcement to reviews?

Hey for all you in the know... with all the new camera announcements... I know they don't hit the shelves til march or april... but do the review sites get the cameras earlier? When can we expect to realistically get reviews past the manufacturer's descrptions which are basically ads? Just wondering - if they are announced they will be at PMA correct? Are there reviews post PMA or not really?
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2010, 2:05 PM   #2

Nech-

A camera announcement does not guarantee that the camera will be in PMA. The professional reviews usually come about 30 days after the camera announcement, but the review could be delayed by the reviewer's workload.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 3:21 PM   #3

Sarah,
Thanks for the info... picked up the samsung this afternoon - charging as we speak.. then I will play tonight post bath and bedtime of course
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 10:16 PM   #4

Also if it is not the the working model that is test, some review will wait for a working copy before posting their final review. So if the camera is announce now. Depending on when the camera actually hits the pipe line. The actual review of the working copy can be at 90 days out.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:14 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nech770 View Post
Hey for all you in the know... with all the new camera announcements... I know they don't hit the shelves til march or april... but do the review sites get the cameras earlier? When can we expect to realistically get reviews past the manufacturer's descrptions which are basically ads? Just wondering - if they are announced they will be at PMA correct? Are there reviews post PMA or not really?
If you take a look at websites like DPReview, they have a camera database for each maker and show announced dates and, if one is done, the review date. Scanning recent DSLR models, the timing from announced date to final review date has been running 2-4 months, so if a camera is introduced in, say, February, by sometime in April or May to July has typically been the time frame from announcement until final review.

Note I say "if one is done". Detailed reviews are not performed on every camera by every review site. Pretty much every DSLR gets reviewed. The more significant the model, the faster you see one. Canons' 7D was announced in September, 2009 and the review was posted in November.

A few digicams, like the Canon G11, still rate an individual review at DPReview. More and more DPReview lumps digicams together by type and will do mini-reviews on 3-5 similar models so one can compare feature for feature.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote