Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 8, 2010, 7:14 PM   #1

Default Need advice on p&s to capture grandchildren

I would appreciate advice on finding a camera that is easy to use and can capture photos of my active grandchildren indoors and out . I have the Canon S2IS and it eats batteries; and the Canon SX110 and it has a terrible lag time and eats batteries. I also have the Panasonic TZ3 and FX3 and am not happy with indoor photos. Would the Canon SX200 or G11, Sony H20,or Panasonic FZ35 or ZS3 take better pictures without the lag time and battery issues? I probably would like a larger zoom than the G11 though, but am willing to do what is best to get a good picture. I know that part of the problem is probably me. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by j320; Feb 8, 2010 at 7:27 PM.
j320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 8, 2010, 7:57 PM   #2

j320-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

Of the cameras that you mention, there is a considerable disparity in physical and price. If small is better and the price range is between $200 and $300, that the Sony H-20 is the top choice. The H-20 has the best Automatic Mode and best built-in flash in its class. It also does HD video and you can zoom while filming.

If the size and price can be higher, then the choice is the Panasonic FZ-35. It will give you 18X optical zoom that begins at 28mm. It has a good built-in flash and it does HD video, allows zooming while filming, and offers stereo sound.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 8:10 PM   #3

Thank you so much for your reply. I didn't want to get another camera that I didn't like. Is there a better camera that I didn't mention? If I don't use the video mode often- will that change your opinion? I will look at each and decide which way to go.

Last edited by j320; Feb 8, 2010 at 8:15 PM.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 8:23 PM   #4
Super Moderator

just to concur, those were the first 2 choices i had as well due to the high powered pop-up flashes and speedy performance.

the g11 is an equally good performer with flash, but you will most likely feel too limited by the zoom coming from the s2is, etc.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2010, 8:41 PM   #5

If you do not need HD video and a wide angle, the Canon SX-120 at $199 is an excellent buy. If you want more zoom and still retain the small physical size, consider the Canon SX-200 at $299, if you want more mp's and more zoom, the Canon SX-210 is a possibility at $349.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 8, 2010, 9:11 PM   #6

Thank you both so much for your speedy replies. I'm going to check out the cameras you mentioned.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 9:36 PM   #7

I like the picture quality of the Canons, but I'm not sure if all Canons have battery issues. Is it my bad luck or is it a problem? I bought a La Cross charger and batteries to help with the problem and tried every brand of disposable ones, but they don't last a day on the S2. The SX110 is not that bad but the batteries do not last as long as the Pansonics. We've even taken out the little battery in the S2 camera to reset it. Do you have suggestions on batteries?
Old Feb 8, 2010, 10:05 PM   #8

I have never had any problems with batteries on my Canon S-2, S-5, or SX-10. I use Sanyo enleoop batteries, and they charge well and last a long time, especially my SX-110 camera.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Feb 9, 2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old Feb 8, 2010, 11:00 PM   #9

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to order some.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 6:58 AM   #10

Location: Jerusalem, Israel - my dream place, working US market virtually

Hi j320 - just curious why you prefer photos only, not video? Last week I was trying to capture a picture of my little band of G!Kids with my new Canon SD780 [power shot]. They were moving up down and all around so fast, until I got hoarse trying to get everyone on one couch facing me. Then I realized I had video too, switched to that mode, and sank down gratefully recording the same circus. All their movement was now great video action.

I'm curious because I'm preparing camera recommendations for Grandboomers on my website and your feedback - and anyone elses - will be helpful.

Thanks,
Ronda Kay
www.grandgifting.com
Grandgifting is offline   Reply With Quote