Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:02 AM   #1

Default Pentax Kx kit vs Olympus E 520 kit

I have looked around some after the recommendations on the E520 two lens kit that includes the 40-150 mm at $480. I still think that is a great deal for an entry level DSLR.

I have seen the Pentax Kx two lens kit that includes a 55-300 mm at $719. Granted, this is about $250 more, but I'm interested in the longer zoom. I don't expect to use the zoom much, and would easily look at buying the zoom in a few years as the budget allows.

Camera to camera, how do the Kx and E520 compare as entry level DSLR for the novice?

Additionally, how long should I wait for the promos to come out (the XS and XSi promos were predicted in an earlier thread) as I am currently without a camera?

Thanks in advance
Luke Stepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:13 AM   #2

I have shot the K-x next to my T1i, given the K-x's ability. It is a better camera then the e520. It will preform better in low light. Both have very easy to use menu options. The K-x has HD at 720, the oly does not do video.

If you are willing to spend a bit more amazon has it for about 650 dollars now with the 2 lens kit. But you are getting a better camera.

Canon just announce the T2i, with that and the T1i. So it really thrown things off. I seems the T2i and T1i may be the replacements for the XSi and XS. So it should be very interesting next month.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:30 AM   #3

the 300mm not the 200mm.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:38 AM   #4

i just bought the 520 kit. Someone can correct me if i am wrong, but the olympus is a 4/3 camera and the zoom on a the 40-150 is the same as a 300mm lens the pentax is offering.
The 4/3 cameras you double the numbers and that is what the zoom range would be for a standard 35mm lens.

I have not recieved my kit yet, hopefully in todays mail.
dugger13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:46 AM   #5

The pentax has a 1.5x crop factor, the oly has a 2x factor

So your 40-150 would equal 80-300
with the pentax 300mm kit it would be 450mm at it's max.

So if you get the oly with the 300mm zoom you reach out toe 600mm
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:32 PM   #6

Default Question

Shoturtle's previous post:

If you are willing to spend a bit more amazon has it for about 650 dollars now with the 2 lens kit. But you are getting a better camera.

Canon just announce the T2i, with that and the T1i. So it really thrown things off. I seems the T2i and T1i may be the replacements for the XSi and XS. So it should be very interesting next month.

IS the $650 kit the Pentax kit? I checked Amazon and did not see a $650 kit.

Does it seem possible that the T2i and T1i will replace the XSi and XS, resulting in price drops for these cameras?
Old Feb 9, 2010, 12:36 PM   #7

Luke-

I have posted before, but I will say it again. If price is the REAL priority, then the Olympus two lens kit is the #1 choice. However, the E-520 does not have anywhere near the high ISO capability of the Pentax Kx if ISO capability is a factor for you.

Buy-dig has the Kx right now at $499, but that is without the zoom lens.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 1:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Stepp View Post
Shoturtle's previous post:

IS the $650 kit the Pentax kit? I checked Amazon and did not see a $650 kit.

Does it seem possible that the T2i and T1i will replace the XSi and XS, resulting in price drops for these cameras?
Here is the link, you just have to wait for it, also you need to add it to your cart to see the price. I doubt you will see much movement on the T1i, since it is not getting replace yet. But the XSi and XS might if this proves to be true.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:04 AM   #9

Thanks for the link