Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 9, 2010, 8:46 AM   #1

Default Should I get it or wait it out? Warning Newbie

Hello everyone, glad to part of Steve's Digicams... I have been looking at the Sony HX-1 for some time now, I saw that the HX1 was released April 2009, Should I wait it out and wait on the release for the so called HX-2 or whatever replaces it or just go with the HX1 because the changes will not be that much of a difference? Do yall think Sony will be releasing anything new along the lines of the HX1 before summer 2010? Im not stuck on Sony, I just saw that it has great reviews and fits my needs.....Thanks, Newbie
Claytonrjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2010, 8:57 AM   #2

If you need it sooner, then get the HX-1, if not and can wait a month or two and if the rumors are true. The HX-2 may be out by then. Any new camera they announce for PMA will take at-least that long to hit the stores.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:13 AM   #3

There will always be a 'Bigger, Better, Faster' around the corner, if you keep waiting for it, you'll never buy anything.

The longer you wait, the longer you're without a camera (or making do with a camera you want to replace anyway.) If you get it now, you'll be that much further along the learning curve. Of course, by buying it now, you're admitting that the time you've already waited was wasted.

You want the HX-1, but you're waiting for the HX-2. When it comes out, you'll wait for the price to drop. When it does, there will be rumors of the HX-3, so you'll wait for that. When it comes out, you'll wait for the price to drop. ...

Last edited by TCav; Feb 9, 2010 at 10:16 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2010, 10:20 AM   #4

TCav, it is an endless cycle it.

Clayton

If you are will the pay top dollar, and wait. The the HX2 would. But if you are looking to save some money, if and when they announce the HX2, the price of the HX1 should drop. And you should be able to get one with a nice savings.
Old Feb 9, 2010, 11:13 AM   #5

claytonrjw-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad that you dropped by.

You have received some rather good, but general advice, from two very skilled DSLR photographers. Why then am I adding to your thread? Because I am a HX-1 user and owner, and I follow the HX-1 very closely. I also shoot with a DSLR camera as well.

In terms of camera introductions, they tend to follow rather fixed cycles of product development and introduction. Sony is currently in the middle of a major product introduction for the HX-5 model. That new camera is a different camera than the HX-1 by a wide margin. It is a compact zoom camera, with 10X optical zoom, that is pocket sized.

Please correct me, if I am misunderstanding your post, but I am guessing that you are seeking a larger camera with more zoom. The current HX-1 is a very good camera, and at the outset the normal time period that we would be looking at for a replacement is in April or May 2010, with the new camera reaching dealer's shelves in mid June to early July.

I have been working at developing more interest in the HX-1 in the Sony P+S folder. So you may wish to take a look at what has already been posted. If you wait for an HX-2, there may indeed be no HX-2, that is always a possibility. However, at the outset, it will be at least July before we see a new HX-2, if there is going to be one.

As I use multiple cameras, I sought to reduce my "up front" costs, and I purchased a used HX-1, that has been very satisfactory. The number of used HX-1 cameras is rather liminted, and they hold their value. Used HX-1 camera, if you can find them are selling for around $350. So I would venture the opinion that the first desision you have to make is to wait, or to go with the current HX-1.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote