Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 9, 2010, 8:28 PM   #1

Default I want my first DSLR...

I have had my Canon Powershot A80 since 1996, and it's time to move on. It has been a great camera, but just too limited(video most of all).I am a complete beginner at this, but thrive on learning. Mostly what I would be shooting is general&basic, indoor&outdoor, but want a great looking video mode(HD), and the ability to zoom from quite a distance. Me and my daughter attend monster truck shows a few times a year and I want to be able to zoom very closely onto the track. I have had my eye on two different cameras, the Canon Powershot xs20is, or the Sony CyberShot DSC-H20. I understand the Cannon is a 20x opt, and the Sony 10x opt. Just how much is the difference in closeup? Any and all info is appreciated. Many thanks to all of you.

Last edited by VengefulHemi; Feb 9, 2010 at 8:31 PM.
VengefulHemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 9, 2010, 8:40 PM   #2

I forgot, as far as budget, I will go as high as $350.00.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:13 AM   #3
Super Moderator

well first off, just to get the terminology right, those are not DSLR's (dslrs are the single lens reflex cameras with digital sensors that can take a multitude of interchangeable lenses, etc). these are just digicams with superzoom lenses.

for monster trucks, you will want to get as close as possible, so the more zoom the better.

i would actually have a look at Panasonic's FZ35. It offers a nice 18x zoom, and is smaller and lighter than the canon sx20is. it also has a better pop-up flash which will really help your indoor shots. it is a well-proven camera with a good track-record and also offers some of the best audio to go along with its HD video from any digicam.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 8:00 AM   #4

Many thanks for setting me straight on the differences between the dslr's and digicams. From what I have seen, the dslr's are quite a bit more expensive. Maybe I should stay away from the dslr's since I am a true beginner. I did have another question. I have been looking online at videos taken by average everday people with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28, and the videos seem almost slightly slow-motion or slightly choppy kind of.They don't seem smooth and flowing.

Last edited by VengefulHemi; Feb 10, 2010 at 8:05 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:47 AM   #5

vengfulhemi-

That was true for the Panasonic FZ-28. However, the newer FZ-35 utilizes AVCHD video and stero sound. So you can see the difference quite easily.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
vengfulhemi-

That was true for the Panasonic FZ-28. However, the newer FZ-35 utilizes AVCHD video and stero sound. So you can see the difference quite easily.

Sarah Joyce
So does that mean that AVCHD is superior to just plain HD? Sorry if it is a dumb question.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 12:37 PM   #7

I just googled avchd, and it is a finer compression.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 1:15 PM   #8

vengefulhemi-

Yep, you got the answer. It a finer compression, and in general looks and runs better.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 6:10 AM   #9

AVCHD has its drawbacks. It requires a lot of computing power to process. Google "AVCHD processing problems." People have found that it locks up older machines and requires time consuming conversions.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:14 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboerger View Post
AVCHD has its drawbacks. It requires a lot of computing power to process. Google "AVCHD processing problems." People have found that it locks up older machines and requires time consuming conversions.
that is true, but provided you have the computing and software needed, it offers better compression.

however, if you have an older machine, or are having any kind of compatibility issues, the FZ35 can still shoot in traditions mpeg at the same HD quality.

choice is yours.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote