Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 10, 2010, 2:11 AM   #1

Default The S90 or something cheaper?

Hello all,

I've been looking for a compact camera with a really good auto mode and decent image quality, even in lower-light situations (without a flash, preferably). I enjoy photography immensely but don't enjoy having to fiddle too much with a camera in order to get a decent shot, partly because that often means losing the shot I'm trying to get.

That said, I am torn between the Canon S90 and a cluster of cheaper compact superzooms: Panasonic DSC-ZS1 or ZS3 or Sony DSC-H20. I've already purchased and returned the Canon SX200, having been extremely disappointed with its auto mode, which consistently chose much higher ISOs than necessary, thus ruining many of my shots. I appreciate that the camera affords a good deal of manual control, and I used its non-auto modes a fair amount--but, again, I'd prefer a good, reliable auto mode that I don't have to worry about.

I'm well aware that the S90's myriad manual features are what distinguish it--so I'm basically wondering if, for my purposes, the S90 is worth the $400, against those other choices. I know that image quality is supposed to be superb on this camera, but will that matter if I'm not fine-tuning my pictures? And, importantly, does it have a reliable auto mode? Learning the manual controls in the future is a possibility, but I really don't know if I'll ever make extensive use of them.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
sarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 10, 2010, 7:45 AM   #2

sarrr-

The best auto mode and built-in flash in the class award goes to the Sony H-20. However, it is not a low light level shooting camera. That honor goes to the Canon S-90 and it is therefore priced a good bit higher.

There is no one compact camera that yet does it all. The new Casio FH-15 may fit that role, but we have not yet seen any professional reviews, nor is the FH-15 yet on dealer's shelves. That will not happen until around the end of March.

Sarah Joyce

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2010, 2:02 PM   #3

Thanks very much for that quick response, Sarah.

Am I to understand then, that the S90's auto mode is not very good? Or is it simply not up to the level of the H-20?
Old Feb 10, 2010, 3:26 PM   #4
Super Moderator

They are different types of cameras.
Old Feb 10, 2010, 6:46 PM   #5

sarrrr-

As Craig has pointed out the Canon S-90 and the H-20 are really different cameras. The Auto Mode on the S-90 is just fine. The Auto Mode on the Sony is rated as the best in the compact zoom camera class. That is the class of cameras into which the H-20 falls. The S-90 is not part of that class of cameras.

As I noted previously, the fast, wide aperture (F 2.0) lens and the new imager on the S-90 both assist the camera in its low light capabilities. So, at the end of the day, the S-90 and the H-20 are as different as apples and oranges.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 12:00 AM   #6

Haha, point taken. I suppose this is why it's been such a long and painful search for me--I haven't even narrowed it down to one camera type. Cost is an issue, as well, and if the S90 were $100 less I would probably buy it without another thought...so, really, I should probably just bite the bullet and get it.

In any case, thanks for that clarification, as well as for the helpful advice on the H20, since I could very well change my mind again. I would wait and see about the Casio, but I need to attach a nonrefundable repair-shop warranty to another camera by Friday (the warranty I got with the returned SX200, that is).

Again, your help is very much appreciated. Take care.