Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:12 AM   #1

Default Nikon p90 or p100

I've been wanting to buy the P90 for awhile now and after reading the very long thread on the P90 in the Nikon forum I decided the time was now. But then I went out to nikon and see they now offer the P100 with a 26x zoom.
So the P90 is ~340-350 and the P100 will be 399.
Should I go for the P90 now or pay more for the P100?
Any opinions on getting the most recent camera?
Moonkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2010, 5:57 PM   #2

Moonkitty-

Welcome to the Forum. We are delighted that you dropped by.

I would save the money and go with the Nikon P-90. The changes between the two cameras are not substantial, other than more zoom and a slight video up grade. Study the features, and make your decision.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Feb 15, 2010 at 12:08 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 2:05 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonkitty View Post
I've been wanting to buy the P90 for awhile now and after reading the very long thread on the P90 in the Nikon forum I decided the time was now. But then I went out to nikon and see they now offer the P100 with a 26x zoom.
So the P90 is ~340-350 and the P100 will be 399.
Should I go for the P90 now or pay more for the P100?
Any opinions on getting the most recent camera?
I second mtclimber ... the changes are not at all enuff to shell out the extra bucks ! more over P100 has 10.3 Megapixels for prints as large as 16 x 20 inches whereas P90 has 12.1 Megapixels for prints as large as 20 x 30 inches.

Only plus point (though i dont feel so), as u mentioned, P100 has 26X zoom compared to P90's 24X ! though that means a range of 26mm-678mm compared to P90's 26mm-624mm ... and yes .. P100 is capable of recording HD VDO at 1080p and has a direct HD TV connection port and dedicated VDO recording button .... but anyhow, i still feel the changes are not good enuf to spend $60-$80 more ! i bought a P90 during christmas for $320 from Amazon, and beliv me ... being a beginner i am more than satisfied ! and if i had to chose right now i'd chose P90.

Check this out ... http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10446062-1.html

Cheers

Last edited by friendsourav; Feb 15, 2010 at 3:28 AM.
friendsourav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2010, 11:25 AM   #4

Default P90 v P100

I had a P90 and was very happy with it. I justbought the P100 and am amazed with it. The video recording is NOT a minor upgrade, It is true 1080p HD and apart from a focusing problem trying to focus when zooming from wideangle to extended telephoto has so far produced (imho) excellent results. The main reason I changed to the P100 is the back-lit CMOS sensor. Losing 2 megapixels is well worth it when you see the low light improvements, HDR and high speed recording functions.
ceegee4152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 1:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceegee4152 View Post
I had a P90 and was very happy with it. I justbought the P100 and am amazed with it. The video recording is NOT a minor upgrade, It is true 1080p HD and apart from a focusing problem trying to focus when zooming from wideangle to extended telephoto has so far produced (imho) excellent results. The main reason I changed to the P100 is the back-lit CMOS sensor. Losing 2 megapixels is well worth it when you see the low light improvements, HDR and high speed recording functions.
I am interested to hear more about the focusing problem you mention. I purchased this camera about 3 weeks ago, and feel very disillusioned with the video focus. I find there are two problems. First, when I zoom in, it just doesn't focus after I zoom. For example, I was at my daughter's dance performance, in a dark theatre. The camera had enough light to do decent video, but once I'd zoom, I just had no focus at all. Sometimes it is able to focus during a video zoom, but frequently not. Secondly, I find that sometimes (though not all the time), there is a vibration associated with the zoom, that causes the video to become very bad.

I am really suprised that this has come up so infrequently in the reviews. Most of the reviews I read were very good, and while they do site slightly poor image quality, none of them talk about not being able to focus while doing video! Or this horrible vibration during zoom.

I am frankly very disappointed in this camera, and am probably going to return it since Amazon seemingly gives me 30 days (I hope that's honored given that I have of course used it in order to figure out the problems ...) Anyway, I am wondering if others are experiencing this same problem, or if I got a lemon?

Margie
margiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2010, 9:53 AM   #6

Margie-

Welcome to the Forum. We're pleased that you dropped by.

The bottom line is this: if you are unhappy with the camera now, things probably will not substantially improve over time. Return the camera now while you can and make a fresh start with a camera that really do like. Otherwise, in many cases, the cameras in which you have no confidence in and/or dislike ultimately get stored in a closet and are not used, or at the outset used very infrequently.

Yes, Amazon does have a 30 day, no questions asked, no charges return policy. I have used it myself once.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote