Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 11, 2010, 1:32 PM   #1

Default Panasonic Lumix ZR1 or ZS3??

Hi there,
I am trying to decide between the ZR1 or the ZS3. The ZR1 is on for $300 CDN, while the ZS3 will be on next week for $350 CDN. I know that the new ZS7 to replace the ZS3 will be coming out soon, I've heard March or April. I'd love to wait, but my husband is going to Africa on Feb 19th and I'd like to replace our old 7 year old Canon Digital Elph before then. I know the ZS3 does better video and has a better zoom than the ZR1, while the ZR1 is slightly more compact. Could anyone give me some opinions, please?? Thanks
Koala_Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2010, 1:58 PM   #2
Super Moderator

i think for a trip to Africa, having the longer focal length of the ZS3 would a bigger advantage than the slightly better image stabilizer and image processor in the ZR1.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 2:02 PM   #3

Thanks for your input. I should mention though that the trip to Africa is not for going on a safari or taking lots of animal pictures in the distance, he'll mostly be working there and just seeing some animals on the last day there. Hmm...still thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
i think for a trip to Africa, having the longer focal length of the ZS3 would a bigger advantage than the slightly better image stabilizer and image processor in the ZR1.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 4:47 PM   #4

Koala_bear-

Welcome to the Forum. We're glad you dropped by.

In my opinion the added zoom and the HD video makes the Panasonic ZS-3 the better choice and certainly worth the added $(CDN)50.00.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 6:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala_Bear View Post
Hi there,
I am trying to decide between the ZR1 or the ZS3. The ZR1 is on for $300 CDN, while the ZS3 will be on next week for $350 CDN. I know that the new ZS7 to replace the ZS3 will be coming out soon, I've heard March or April. I'd love to wait, but my husband is going to Africa on Feb 19th and I'd like to replace our old 7 year old Canon Digital Elph before then. I know the ZS3 does better video and has a better zoom than the ZR1, while the ZR1 is slightly more compact. Could anyone give me some opinions, please?? Thanks
a fellow Canadian - welcome - where is the zs3 on sale? i am also looking for a cam
nech770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 1:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nech770 View Post
a fellow Canadian - welcome - where is the zs3 on sale? i am also looking for a cam
Hi there fellow Canadian (GO CANADA GO!)
I just saw this today, sorry. The ZS3 is supposed to be on for $350 this week at London Drugs. Haven't gone down there yet to check it out but that's what the salesperson there told me last week when I was debating between the ZR1 or the ZS3. If I have time I may check out a few other places first for price comparison but as far as I know now I think it's a good deal.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 4:09 PM   #7

oh here in toronto - no london drugs...
Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:44 AM   #8

Also: the ZS1 has a 2.7" 230.000 pixel lcd, while the ZS3 has a 3" 460.000 pixel lcd.
Not even comparable.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2010, 12:31 PM   #9

Have you considered the FUJIFILM F70EXR? Much bigger CCD and the ratings on it are very good. 10x Optical zoom. Image is much better than Panasonic because of the much larger CCD.
Gordons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2010, 12:57 PM   #10

Default had the f70exr returned it

I had the f70EXR and returned it as although it is a good camera takes a lot of playing with to get good shots and as a busy mom - don't have the time or patience to play with the settings.
Probably gonna go for the canon sx200