Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 13, 2010, 2:35 AM   #11
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassandro View Post
If you don't need video an older model like the 500D or even the 450D is just as good and you pay a lot less.
The 500D does have video just no manual exposure controls (currently) and the full HD is limited to 20fps but you get 30fps in 720p.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 7:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassandro View Post
The EOS 550D is a very recent camera. If you want to buy it now, you pay a significant surcharge for your impatience. ...
But you also gain the time you've had to work with and learn your new camera. Unless a drop in price is iminent, there's really no reason to wait. The time and experience gained by using a new camera will more than offset the money you might have saved by waiting.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 2:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
also to bear in mind, you are comparing an entry-level camera (albeit a quite well specced one in that) of the T2I vs. Pentax's top of the line model.
Hiya,

Thank you words. I just look at Pixamania.UK... they now have the K-7 UNDER 900 euros...

May I ask if you are a Pentax user?

You also mentioned about the weather-proof, etc., of the Pentax. This is Finland... it is really cold in the winter... jok'n damp. Weather is a serious concern. Thanks again.

All the best.

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 2:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
But you also gain the time you've had to work with and learn your new camera.
TCav, I have ONLY been a Pentax user... I currently have an MZ-5n film camera... with a 28-80 kit lense. I am trying to be really, really objective here. Do you have a Canon 500D? A valid concern is that I am in a cold region... Canon 550D is not weather-proof. John brought up some very good points, again, just being objective... I don't normally make large purchases... it is only right, and kind of fun, doing my homework on this... I am forcing myself NOT to buy until March or April... but with the 550D by canon, I would be foolish to throw objectivity out the window.

I would like to use the video features... what I saw today of movie filmed with a K-7 was beyond belief... not a long movie... but it was good. If a camera can do that... holy cats. I need a camera that has video so I can do a bunch of 15 minute series of my wife's aging parents who are from the old country...

I appreciate the advice and feedback and even caution in this forum.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

All the best.

Ned

Jyväskylä, Finland
Old Feb 13, 2010, 3:04 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
The 500D does have video just no manual exposure controls (currently) and the full HD is limited to 20fps but you get 30fps in 720p.
Hi Mark,

I hope you are enjoying your new 7D. Say, I understand that the 550D receives some of it technology from 7D. Have you look at the video in 7D by any chance?

John made a good point that although the 550D being high specced camera, nevertheless the Pentax is a high end camera. A nagging question that comes to my mind, over and over (being a first-born ) is whether I will lose some creative functions that Pentax might have, compared to Canon.

I have been saving up for this camera... and I just got word from my accountant that I am getting a large tax return... I am looking forward to making my purchase of a camera in March or April.

Take care and all the best.

Ned

Jyväskylä, Finland
Old Feb 13, 2010, 3:09 PM   #16
Super Moderator

I've really not played with video on the 7D yet, I have with both my 5DmkII and 500D and the only real thing that the 500D loses out on for most people is the manual controls. Having these on the 550D will help those who want to be more creative with their video shooting. However it is rumored that the 500D will be getting manual controls but we shall see.

Another gain is the mic socket, however I'm yet to use that on my cameras.

As for having creative functions, I'm not really aware of any in regard to real photo shooting as most creative work is done with the lens choice, aperture, shutter speed, ISO all of which you can do with any dSLR out there.

Having the better weather proofing is a bonus though with the Pentax.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 3:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Do you still have your Pentax lenses?
Hi Mtngal, thanks for your words. Yes, I still have my lense, a 28-80 SMC from Pentax MZ-5n that I bought when I lived in England. It seems to be a kit lense.

If I go with a Pentax, I am thinking of getting the body and good lense... the question I have is, which is a good lense. I am having a hard time online finding information... that would help in making a choice... one review says of an expensive lense, don't expect to see much a visual difference... Just today I was looking at what my 28-80 lenst at 50 mm can do compared to a 50 mm prime lense... what I saw online was hard any difference, believe it or not... Soooo... coming up with a good lense is a nagging issue.... I was expecting to find a lense that would really stand out among the others. I have look at DPREVIEW and other sites... not much to go on so far.

Thanks and all the best.

Ned
Jyväskylä, Finland
Old Feb 13, 2010, 3:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
As for having creative functions, I'm not really aware of any in regard to real photo shooting as most creative work is done with the lens choice, aperture, shutter speed, ISO all of which you can do with any dSLR out there.
Yes, indeed... but speaking of lenses... and since you have the 500D, is there a lense that stands out from kit lenses... that you would recommend?

Thanks and all the best.

Ned
Old Feb 13, 2010, 5:53 PM   #19

As far as Pentax lenses go, what's your budget?

You can use your 28-80 on the K-7, it's not got the greatest reputation in the world. Would you be looking for a replacement for this lens - one that gives you about the same field of view? Or for one that does something different, with the idea that you'll use the 28-80 until sometime down the road? For landscape you might want to go wider, for portraits you might want to get a fast prime or a fast zoom, if you like outdoor details you might prefer to get something longer than the 28-80.

Since you mentioned weather sealing, you might want to look at the two WR kit lenses (18-55 and 50-200). They are reasonable quality and not very expensive. To get significantly better quality you'd have to spend a significant amount more.

If you have a larger budget, there's the DA*16-50 and DA*50-135. All of the Pentax lenses that are designated DA* lenses are weather sealed and usually fast and/or very good optics. Both of these two lenses cost more, are larger and heavier, but both are fast - f2.8. The DA*16-50 has been plagued with QC issues (I bought one but returned it because it was defective), but if you get a good one, it's outstanding. The DA*50-135 hasn't had the same problems and has an excellent reputation (I love mine).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2010, 1:53 AM   #20

Mtngal, for portraits and a lot of landscape... the DA*50-135 sounds great. I have a large budget with the tax return I am suppose to get... I have thought about a prime lense, but I saw one example of my current 28-80 lense at 50 mm... and a 50 mm prime lense... there was not much of a difference... I don't know if it was just this one incident or what... but I just want to find a lense that would go with Pentax K-7 and would yield sharpness and handle well. Thanks for the advice about the WR kit lense!

All the best.

ned