Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 11, 2010, 2:38 PM   #1

Default Canon eos 550d 18-55 is kit - uutuus!

I found a store here in Finland that is taking orders for the Canon EOS 550D 18-55 IS Kit, the price? 857,50 euros. I have been seriously looking at the Pentax K-7, which would cost 934 euros... but 857,50 is way too tempting.

Any Pentax (even Canon) users that can offer any objective reflection on these models, anything is appreciated. I have an older (7 year old) Pentax. Yikes, I like buy things, but when it comes to something of this price tag, I am not going to rush anything. Anyway, any advice about the Canon 550D compared to Pentax K-7 would be appreciated.

All the best.

Ned
Jyväskylä, Finland
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2010, 2:50 PM   #2

What do you want to shoot?
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 3:14 PM   #3

Hi TCav, I want to shoot landscape and portraits for stills. I really would like to have a camera that has video, as I would like to video my wife's aging parents. A couple of things I like about the Pentax, though, is it is whether-proof, etc., HDR included, which is something I have never done before, but would like to try. I want a camera that will take sharp pictures, and allow me a lot of versatility to work with depth-of-field, shadows / lighting... That is basically what I am aiming.

Thanks and all the best.

Ned
Old Feb 11, 2010, 3:49 PM   #4

Do you still have your Pentax lenses? If you switch brands over to Canon, you'll have to buy new lenses to replace what you have - which potentially could cost you more than the difference in the price of the kits.

It sounds like either camera would provide you the sharp pictures and versatility you want, and the Pentax has the plus of being weather sealed. The in-camera HDR is nice and I've used it, but I wouldn't choose one camera over another just because it did or didn't have it. You can do better using dedicated HDR software.

I got curious so I looked at the specs for the T2i, to see some of the differences. A couple of comparisons that might or might not mean anything to you:

T2i is 18 mp. Files are going to be huge (I sometimes think the 14 mp file size with the K7 is bad enough). But it does give you more real-estate.

T2i has a pentamirror viewfinder with 95% coverage (it won't show all that the sensor does). The K7 has a pentaprism (usually considered better) with 100% coverage - what you see through the viewfinder is what the sensor takes. Personally, I think this is a distinct advantage to the K7, but many won't care.

T2i can go to 12800 ISO - K7 stops at 6400 and that's not useable in my opinion.

K7 has a faster frames per second rate for continuous/burst shooting (5 compared to the T2i's 3.7, if I read the specs correctly).

The K7 has more AF points (11 vs. 9 for the T2i) and more metering zones (63 vs. 77 - something I don't think is important at all!).

There are a number of other differences in specifications.

One thing I didn't find in the T2i's specs was the auto exposure figures. The K7 can take 3 or 5 exposures and up to 2 stops between frames with one touch of the shutter. The T2i has an Ev range of +/- 5 stops, so I would assume that it could be capable of the same range, but don't know that as I don't know if it's limited to 3 exposures (many cameras are). This would be of interest to those shooting HDR mostly.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 4:13 PM   #5

Thanks, Mtngal. I have one lense only from my Pentax.

With everything else you have written, I simply agree, including the HDR.

Tough choice!!! Good thing I have to wait till late March, early April

Thanks for your help.

All the best.

Ned
Old Feb 11, 2010, 4:14 PM   #6
Super Moderator

also to bear in mind, you are comparing an entry-level camera (albeit a quite well specced one in that) of the T2I vs. Pentax's top of the line model.

so yea, the Pentax will have more dedicated controls, weather sealing, etc.

also, for the AEB, i still think its 3 shot +/- up to 2, but you can combine it with the +/-5 extended EV range, though you will still have to manually EV comp to get more than 3 shots.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 4:33 PM   #7

Indeed, all these things you have mentioned are something that stick in my mind. One option would be to purchase the Pentax body and get a really good lenses. Anyway, Pentax is a top of the line camera with a lot of features, and not to be taken lightly.

Thanks for your kind input.

All the best.

Ned
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:06 PM   #8

From what you say you want to do, I think either would serve you well (except of course, for the video part). But I will say thatCanon has a better selection of lenses for some of what you say you want to do, than does Pentax, and they can be less expensive as well.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:58 PM   #9

I'm not so sure the "less expensive" is entirely correct - for instance, both of them have similarly priced 50mm 1.4 lenses, but the Pentax lens will be stabilized while the Canon isn't. As far as "better" - Canon sure has more than what's available for Pentax. They have to double up on some of their lenses (stabilized vs. not stabilized), and they have overlapping lenses at different quality levels. They have more choices for lenses longer than 300 mm. But that's not to say you can't find lenses with the appropriate focal lengths you want in the Pentax mount. And some of the Pentax lenses are weather sealed to go with the weather sealing on the K7.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 2:22 AM   #10

The EOS 550D is a very recent camera. If you want to buy it now, you pay a significant surcharge for your impatience. Wait half a year and the price will drop significantly. If you don't need video an older model like the 500D or even the 450D is just as good and you pay a lot less.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote