Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 11, 2010, 8:00 PM   #1

Default Please help me pick!! S90, SD940, SX120

I need help! I am not only driving myself to the edge, but also my poor husband. I am replacing my Canon SD600, not because anything is wrong with it, but simply to upgrade. I do have it narrowed down to three - the S90, SD940 and SX120. However, I have not been able to pick between the three. I LOVE the S90 and really want it. However I am not a photographer, nor an advanced amateur. So far I have been a leave-it-on-auto girl. But as I've been looking at cameras I've been digging into what everything means. I have both the SD940 and the SX120 at home to play with. I love the size of the 940 and the menu system. I love the zoom on the SX120 but am not crazy about the menu, ease of use. I would really like the S90 because of the reviews I'm reading about such stellar shots. But I will never use it in full manual mode. I will probably use it in program mode, making minor iso adjustments here and there, or more as I learn. I'm taking pictures of my kids, both inside and out. Please help me just pick one! I think I just need someone to tell me 'buy this one'. Thank you for listening to me ramble!
akmontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2010, 8:33 PM   #2
Super Moderator

the SD940 and SX120 are good cameras with their own strengths as you have outlined.

the s90 is really in a different category, both pricewise and performance, the difference in image quality would be negligeable outdoors, but indoors the s90 is in a different class versus the aforementioned 940 and 120. really, P mode is just fine mode to be in with a compact digicam, and controlling the ISO yourself and sticking to P is a great way to shoot. It will do better than the other 2 indoors, both with and without flash. the lower noise sensor both allows you to take pictures you wouldnt be able to without flash, but also gives you better flash range, by allowing you to use higher ISO's even with flash.

whether or not its worth the extra cost is a personal decision.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 8:38 PM   #3

Default Will a complete amateur notice the difference?

As a complete amateur would I notice a difference in performance? Price isn't necessarily an issue, but I don't want to spend the extra money if I won't notice the difference. It's just got such great reviews!
Old Feb 11, 2010, 8:39 PM   #4

I guess I'm asking if the S90 is way more camera than I really need, or if the SD940 would serve my needs just fine. I do like the SX120, but can't put it in my pocket!
Old Feb 11, 2010, 8:43 PM   #5
Super Moderator

well since you have them both home to play with. are you happy with the image quality, given the shooting conditions you expect to be shooting more of.

if you are happy with the results, then you probably do not need to go to the s90. however, if you feel limited in your indoor shooting, then it may be worth it just for the sensor, not necessarily the increased controls.

you only really need to go up if you feel limited in anyway with the 2 you are testing.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 8:50 PM   #6

Is it easier to make adjustments on the S90? With the SD940 it feels like I have to search for the right place to make the adjustments.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 8:53 PM   #7
Super Moderator

the s90 does offer more controls, that are customizable. like in p mode you can have the front ring control your ISO and your back wheel control exposure compensation, etc. if that is the type of adjustment you are talking about.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 8:56 PM   #8

I honestly don't know what I'm talking about! I just want the best all around camera, but don't want to buy something that's ridiculously more than I need. I want someone to tell me that I 'need' the S90!! But only if I really do. Thanks so much for all of your help!

Last edited by akmontgomery; Feb 11, 2010 at 9:04 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 9:18 PM   #9

akmontgomery-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

If you want to carry your photography farther, learning more and perfecting techniques, then the Canon S-90 in the camera for you. It will be a camera you can grow with over the years.

Have a great evening.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote