Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 23, 2010, 6:14 AM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph View Post
Wow that item would be excellent, unless what kassandro says is really true... I don't want to part ways from my 50mm (because I can't really afford much at this moment), but then I could only use it as a 50mm on Olympus cameras?
It doesn't work that way. The focal length is 50mm, regardless of the camera it's being used on.

But, the size of the sensor (or film) will influence the angle of view (apparent magnification) you'll have with a given focal length lens.

In the case of an Olympus 4/3 dSLR, you need to multiply the focal length by 2x to see how angle of view compares with a 35mm camera (or dSLR using the same size sensor as 35mm film). IOW, you'd have the same angle of view using a 50mm lens on a 4/3 body that you would have using a 100mm lens on a 35mm camera (50mm x 2 = 100mm).

The Canon body you got has a larger sensor compared to the Olympus 4/3 system bodies. It's using an APS-C size sensor. But, it's still smaller than 35mm film. So, you need to multiply the focal length by 1.6x to see what lens would give you the same angle of view on a 35mm camera. So, a 50mm lens on the Canon EOS-450D would give you the same angle of view you'd have using an 80mm lens on a 35mm camera (50mm x 1.6 = 80mm).

That's one reason the kit lenses bundled with cameras like the EOS-450D typically start out at around 18mm (because that's going to give you roughly the same angle of view you'd have using lens starting out at 29mm lens on a 35mm camera). So, an 18-55mm lens would behave more like a 29-88mm lens (from an angle of view perspective) on a model like the EOS-450D.

IOW, you may find that a lens like a 50mm is a bit on the "long" side for some things on a body using an APS-C size sensor like the 450D (since you may not be able to back up far enough to fit what you want into the frame).

In order to get the same angle of view you'd have using a 50mm lens on a 35mm camera, you'd need a dSLR that uses a sensor that's the same size as 35mm film. For example, a Canon EOS-5D Mark II (not a body like the 450D, 500D, 50D, 1000d, 7D or most other dSLR models, as those all use APS-C size sensors that are smaller than 35mm film).

The smaller the film or sensor size, the narrower the angle of view for a given focal length. The larger the sensor or film size, the wider the angle of view for a given focal length.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote