Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:45 PM   #1

Default Panasonic vs. Samsung, need help deciding

In the market for a super-zoom camera and have narrowed it down to the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 but the Samsung HZ25W has me quite intrigued. The Samsung comes at a $50 premium to the Panasonic but the specs, particularly the continuous shooting, creates a dilemma. Even the Panasonic is slightly beyond my budget, which I was hoping to keep under $300 but really couldn't find anything I liked in that price range, but I am willing to spend the extra $50 on the Samsung if I am getting superior performance to the Panasonic. So what say ye, Samsung or Panasonic?

Thanks everyone!
numnutz6383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2010, 1:13 PM   #2

numnutz-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delighted that you dropped by.

Frankly I have had two Samsung cameras recently and I returned them to purchase the Panasonic FZ-35. That was a good decision, at least for me. The FZ-35 is a real performer and has a rich feature set.

Perhaps mine was a unique experience. But, at least for me the FZ-35 was a great decision. We also have a very active Panasonic P+S folder which has a great group of FZ-35 users that are very willing to help each other and so improve techniques.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 12:25 PM   #3

I've had horrendous experiences with Samsung products (DVD players, Blu Ray players and TVs). Their product specs usually look very good and it seems like they offer a lot for the money. However, their reliability is far from good. Perhaps I just had bad luck. I came across a few articles stating that Samsung has one of the highest TV return rate of all brands (now to be fair, that could be due to the fact that they might sell a lot more TVs than any other manufacturer). If you check Amazon's Warehouse Deals you'll see that the majority of the TVs are Samsung. They are primarily returned units (according to their staff). So, I really don't care how good their still camera specs look. I simply won't trust them so to me it's Panasonic all the way!

Tullio

Last edited by Tullio; Feb 13, 2010 at 8:11 PM.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2010, 10:59 AM   #4

I saw the HS10 on Amazon but its way out of my league and is yet to be released.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:49 AM   #5

How about the Panasonic FZ-35?

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 14, 2010, 1:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
How about the Panasonic FZ-35?

Sarah Joyce
Ummm, that is what my original post was asking about?

In any case I pulled the trigger on the DMC-FZ35 from Amazon on Friday but if anyone has any objections before the weekend is up I'll cancel and get something else.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 6:32 PM   #7

Congratulations, Num-

The Panasonic FZ-35 is a really good camera. I am sure you will enjoy it. We also have a very active Panasonic P+S folder here on the Forum with a great bunch of FZ-35 users who share photos, shooting tips, and really help each other, and you will find me in the middle of it.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 14, 2010, 6:55 PM   #8

I don't have the FZ35 but I don't think you can go wrong with it. Panasonic has one the best super zoom out there (if not THE best).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2010, 9:33 PM   #9

I also vote in support of your choice of the FZ35. I had the FZ28, its predecessor and was very happy. It was easy to use, took good pics, was reliable and had a huge zoom range. Its ISO 800 pics were useable, too.
I think you will be happy with your new camera.
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2010, 2:53 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for the recommendation. I received the camera today, unfortunately I did not have the time to play with it yet. But I do have one question, the camera did not come with a carrying case and the case model on Panasonic's website ( DMW-CZ18) is nowhere to be found online. Could anyone advise on a quality case for this camera that won't cost me an arm and a leg?