Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 12, 2010, 1:42 PM   #1

Default I've decided to get a dSLR... which one to choose?

Decisions, Decisions....

I like the Canon and Nikon brands, friends have the Nikon D90 and love it, but that one seems to be out of our price range. Will be going to the US in May and plan to buy the camera then. I plan to spend about $800US.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Sandrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2010, 1:57 PM   #2
Administrator

I'd be careful buying products elsewhere if you want service in the country you live in. For example, Nikon USA will usually refuse to service a camera that was not intended for sale in the U.S. (even if you are willing to pay them for the service), and they'll know by the camera's serial number.

Nikon Canada has a similar policy (they will refuse to service a camera that was not intended for sale in Canada and purchased from an Authorized Nikon Canada Dealer, even if you are willing to pay them for the service). I suspect that some of the Nikon distributors in other countries may have the same policy. So, if you want to make sure you can get service on a camera if it breaks without sending it back to Japan (or the U.S. in the case of one intended for sale here), you may want to stick with buying one from an Authorized Dealer in the country you live it
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 2:09 PM   #3

Jim's point is a good one. As to which camera - what types of photography are you interested in? That will help determine if one system has an edge and will also help determine what lens(es) and flashes you might need. In general all current DSLRs are great but each system has their strong and weak points and certain types of photography may benefit from more advanced features sets in mid level cameras. While other types will benefit much more from saving money on the camera body and spending it on the lenses.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 2:24 PM   #4

Thanks for the Tip Jim! Will look into that!

John, I plan to photograph my boys, typical family shots, holidays, school concerts, etc... Also like to do a bit of landscape pictures and the odd portrait. Would like a decent zoom lens too.
Sandrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 2:51 PM   #5

In general all modern DSLRs will fit your needs. Your indoor family shots will get a huge boost with the addition of an external flash in any system. If you intend on doing a lot of flash work then Nikon has the decided edge in flash system, followed by Canon & Sony.

You should also be aware that the school concert shots will require an additional lens purchase in any system (assuming you won't be able to use an external flash). You'll be needing a wide aperture lens to get those shots because the lighting is usually so poor. So keep that in mind - you'll get some snapshots with kit lenses and image stabilization but percentage of keepers will be very low because of subject motion.

So, just want to set expectations there a little.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2010, 12:33 PM   #6

My preference has always been for cameras that offer in-body image stabilization as you'll be able to take advantage of it with all vintage lenses. Basically you pay for IS once. Currently, Sony, Pentax and Olympus offer IBIS while Canon and Nikon offer the IS system through their lenses, which means you will not have IS if the lens does not have it. Also, I believe Sony, Pentax and Olympus offer the most affordable entry level models in a two-lens kit package (wide angle and zoom lenses). To me, that's a huge plus as they will cover a good 85%+ of one's needs in terms of FL range.

Tullio

Last edited by Tullio; Feb 13, 2010 at 8:13 PM.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote