Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:24 PM   #11

Shoturtle - it clear that you don't like the D5000 due the no-motor issue, right?

For my goal to take a large zoom, all Sigma and Tamron 18-200/250/270 have built-in motors, so it will not make much difference.

And as littlejohn said above, the chances are to replace the camera faster than the lenses, so if I get a AF-S lens (or HSM in Sigma name) certailny I'll be able to use it in future generations (while keeping APS-C format, I know). So it seems that D5000 can fit well until replacing to a 15MP, 20Mp or whatever can convince me to change in a couple of years...

For the OP, I'm in the same boat, looking for a model, but I've heard much well about the Pentax K-X between the lower cost cameras.
MarceloRSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:30 PM   #12

No actually, I have recommended to a friend that only shoots daylight. And not needing a big aperture. It was the right camera for him. But we knew the shooting needs going in. That is all. I did look at it seriously before getting the T1i. I borrowed one for a week of shooting. Like I did with the T1i and e620. And the E620 was the lowest in low light, but was my second choice because of the lens and photo quality up to 800is. Right camera for the right kind of shooting. That is all.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:33 PM   #13

Actually I shot the T1i, e620, D5000, K7, 50D, sony A380, and D90 before finally deciding on a dslr.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 11:33 PM   #14
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarceloRSC View Post
Shoturtle - it clear that you don't like the D5000 due the no-motor issue, right?

For my goal to take a large zoom, all Sigma and Tamron 18-200/250/270 have built-in motors, so it will not make much difference.

And as littlejohn said above, the chances are to replace the camera faster than the lenses, so if I get a AF-S lens (or HSM in Sigma name) certailny I'll be able to use it in future generations (while keeping APS-C format, I know). So it seems that D5000 can fit well until replacing to a 15MP, 20Mp or whatever can convince me to change in a couple of years...

For the OP, I'm in the same boat, looking for a model, but I've heard much well about the Pentax K-X between the lower cost cameras.
if you like the d5000, you can find workarounds for primes with focus motors. it just usually costs you a little bit more.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2010, 5:59 PM   #15

Well, it's hard... Never we have all in one - a camera that has it all. The chalenge is to decide what we will give up.

Between the choices, one favorite for me is D90, I saw one today working - the crisp LCD hi-res is great (I forgot to try the live-view...). But I still like the tilt. The point in favor D5000 is that it has the same sensor and almost same performance than D90, so the results in low-light shoting of D90 in low light will be preserved in D5000. The A550 misses video - I know it's not the main goal of a dSLR - and I have a good camcorder, but I'm sure that there will be a situation that I'll be only with this camera (considering it's size I'll not be carring two big cameras) and will want to record something... Abou K-X despite better ISO, it alone means nothing, and despite the light feedback for it is very good, I think the difference in practice will not be SO big comparing with D90 and D5000 that I know are good enough...

I'm not trying to convince anyone - just myself! It's not the first time - I'll always analyze the details of the devices, and this kind of dilema happens...

Last edited by MarceloRSC; Feb 25, 2010 at 6:18 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 6:09 PM   #16

The D90 is an excellent camera, it has a high resolution lcd like all higher tier camera of 920k dp and up. It would be an excellent choice.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 6:26 PM   #17

BTW... Is the Live View of all these cameras just like using any P&S camera? It is just activate it and I'll simply have the true image in the LCD?

I heard about some issues related to multiple mirror moves. It's obvious that the mirror must open, but I really don't know why should be twice, and why it should close before the actual shot, as who should open is the diafragma...

I read about the best performance Live View in the Sony, but what about the others, specially D90 and D5000 - is it pratical to use? What should be worse in these cameras? Is it just related to the AF performance? (I really like alternative positions to shot)
Old Feb 25, 2010, 6:31 PM   #18

no, dslr live view is no where near as good in focusing as a point and shoot. The best for live view is the sony's in dslr.

Nikon and Canon do not have a great live view. That is why I never really used it. But canon just release a firmware update that improve the live view performance. It seem a bit faster. But no where near what the m4/3 systems can do if live view shooting is a big thing. panasonic G1 and GH1 would be the way to go for a large evil camera.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 6:40 PM   #19

But what happens? I see the image but cannot choose the point to focus? Or the AF does not work if I try an auto mode? Can't I just frame the subject and shot?
Old Feb 25, 2010, 6:47 PM   #20

Live view is a contrast base AF system. The dslr just does not do that really well right now. With a DSLR you can auto focus be it is really slow. It takes a while to get AF lock. You can frame, but you will have to wait on the live view to get a AF lock. There is a cheat way that canon has. You frame in live view. Then it switch back to regular AF to lock it and switch back. It is quicker, but you lose view of the subject during the back and forth. If the subject moves, you could miss frame the shot.

That is why the tilt lcd is really not a big thing in higher tier dslr's. The AF system is not that good to shoot with it. And high resolution screens are more important to check the shot.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 25, 2010 at 8:24 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote