Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 20, 2010, 11:17 AM   #31

Jazzer-

Yes, the FZ-35 would be fully capable on any outdoor shooting requirements. It is a great 14 ounce travel camera and capable of very good image quality.

Your past paragraph says it all. You have made a very good decision about camera selection and I commend you. Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:20 PM   #32

Honestly? I don't believe there is ONE camera that will be good for all occasions. I just came back from the Sierra (went skiing with my son) and I realized that I need yet another camera. I brought with me my FZ28, G1 and EP1 with the Zuiko 17mm pancake lens, which makes it a very small DSLR-type package. So, now the dilemma: as we arrived at the ski resort, which camera would I take with me skiing so I could take some shots of the beautiful Lake Tahoe mountains (a view from the top) and my son as well as filming him skiing? The FZ28, of course. Humm, it feels...a bit too bulky to carry inside my ski jacket's pocket and I certainly don't want to carry the even bulkier camera bag, I thought. OK, the G1 was out of the question at that point for being even bulkier with the 14-45mm (and let's not talk about the 45-200mm) so I went for the EP1. Yes, a bit heavy but compact enough...and off we went (hoping I wouldn't smash it during a fall or something). It did not take long for me to realize that I would be able to accomplish only half of my wishes...shooting the landscape. Why, well I had a 17mm prime lens mounted on it, so no zooming. Even though my son was 10 feet away from me, he appeared to be 1 1/2 miles away on the LCD. Obviously filming him going down the slopes was useless as he quickly became a black dot lost in a white carpet of snow. Frustration is the only word I feel I can safely use here to describe my disappointment. The question is, which camera would be a good fit for that particular condition? The only thing that comes to mind is one of those new 12x zoom models (from Pana, Canon, Sony, etc.). They are very small (true pocket cameras) and provide good reach plus video capability and zooming during video recording. So, I guess I'm up for yet another toy to be added to my line-up.

Tullio

Last edited by Tullio; Feb 21, 2010 at 2:17 AM.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:51 PM   #33

Tullio, I can appreciate the frustration. A situation like you describe is what makes it difficult to decide on one particular type of camera over something else. Oh, but don't we really need one of each?

On a somewhat different point, aside from a potential price break, is there any benefit to looking at a used FZ18 over the new FZ35? I have heard some suggest that although the FZ35 and FZ28 have some improvement each, the FZ18 actually has better image quality because of the lower megapixel count on the same sensor size. Of course, there is also risk involved in purchasing a used product.
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 1:21 PM   #34

Jazzer-

I used the FZ-18, FZ-28, and now have the FZ-35. Whoever claimed the FZ-18 had better image quality must have only been shooting in bright sunshine. The image quality was OK on the FZ-18, but it stands well behind the FZ-35 which had decidedly better image quality and which is not ISO limited, as the Fz-18 definitely was.

Going to the FZ-18, would in my opinion, be a rather large step rearward in image quality and ISO capability.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 1:59 PM   #35

Sarah - Yes, the discussion did refer specifically to pictures in good light, but it sounds like your experience has been different even in that situation. Thanks.
Jazzer251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 4:45 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Honestly? I don't believe there is ONE camera that will be good for all occasions. I just came back from the Sierra (went skiing with my son) and I realized that I need yet another camera. I brought with me my FZ28, G1 and EP1 with the Zuiko 17mm pancake lens, which makes it a very small DSLR-type package. So, now the dilemma: as we arrived at the ski resort, which camera would I take with me skiing so I could take some shots of the beautiful Lake Tahoe mountains (a view from the top) and my son as well as filming him skiing? The FZ28, of course. Humm, it feels...a bit too bulky to carry inside my ski jacket's pocket and I certainly don't want to carry the even bulkier camera bag, I thought. OK, the G1 was out of the question at that point for being even bulkier with the 14-45mm (and let's not talk about the 45-200mm) so I went for the EP1. Yes, a bit heavy but compact enough...and off we went (hoping I would smash it during a fall or something). It did not take long for me to realize that I would be able to accomplish only half of my wishes...shooting the landscape. Why, well I had a 17mm prime lens mounted on it, so no zooming. Even though my son was 10 feet away from me, he appeared to be 1 1/2 miles away on the LCD. Obviously filming him going down the slopes was useless as he quickly became a black dot lost in a white carpet of snow. Frustration is the only word I feel I can safely use here to describe my disappointment. The question is, which camera would be a good fit for that particular condition? The only thing that comes to mind is one of those new 12x zoom models (from Pana, Canon, Sony, etc.). They are very small (true pocket cameras) and provide good reach plus video capability and zooming during video recording. So, I guess I'm up for yet another toy to be added to my line-up.

another option is the 14-150mm coming out from oly for the pen's.
Old Feb 21, 2010, 4:45 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
another option is the 14-150mm coming out from oly for the pen's.
I don't think that'd be a solution as I doubt the 14-150mm will be smaller than the 14-45, which was already too big to carry inside a pocket.

Tullio
Old Feb 21, 2010, 4:49 AM   #38

canon sx300 if it comes out, pocket camera
Old Feb 21, 2010, 5:07 AM   #39

Or the SX210...

Tullio
Old Feb 21, 2010, 11:55 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboerger View Post
My two cents. I never take my DSLR on vacation. I have seen too many photo ops become about the shot rather than family fun. Changing lenses, white balance, correct exposure, etc. can bring a fun activity to a halt. The difference in size and weight between a DSLR (even with a small lens) and a P&S zoom is huge. I have used the Panasonic FZ series through the 28 and they are very good all around cameras and very portable.
You make some good points. Although I've seen plenty of people carrying DSLRs while traveling with their families (myself included), it can be an aggravating situation to everyone, particularly the ones w/o the camera. I would not say that the cause is necessarily all the adjustments you mentioned but the size/bulkiness/weight and inconvenience of having to perform lens swap (some times in very harsh conditions). What I see (and have experienced myself) is that in the end, the family has fun doing stuff while you stay behind taking pictures and dealing with all that have been described above. Now, sometimes the REAL reason for staying behind is not because we want to enjoy our hobby but because we are carrying a big camera bag, which can be awkward and intrusive depending on the activity the family is participating in. I think that even the FZ28 can be too bulky in some situations. So, I guess if I'm traveling alone, then my DSLR gear is it since I have all the time in the world to take pictures w/o aggravating anyone. But, on family trips, a small P&S (smaller than the FZ28) with good zoom is a must have.

Tullio