Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 14, 2010, 8:24 PM   #1

Default I cant decide Lumix FZ-35 or Sony HX-1 or Nikon D3000? HELP!!

What do you think, Will I get the same results with the p&s camera compared to the DSLR Nikon D3000. Are these three cameras in the same category as far as picture quality or am I way off base comparing these three. I just cant fiqure out which one I want, tell me which one you would pick!!!!
Claytonrjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:01 PM   #2

claytonrjw-

No, these three cameras are not directly comparable. Two are super zoom camera, but using different imagers, and the Nikon D-3000 is a DSLR camera. So they are sort of like apples, oranges, and pears. Yes, they are all fruits, but that is the only similarity.

I choice between these cameras, will largely depend on:

1. Where you seeing your photography going.
2. Your own photographic skills
3. What kind of learning curve you desire to experience

We know that you have pegged your budget at $(US) 500.00. Please tell us what camera you are coming from, and a bit about your experience. The FZ-35 is selling for around $(US)320.00. It has 18X optical zoom (28mm to 504mm), 12mp HD video with stereo sound. The Sony HX-1 uses a revolutionary CMOS imager, has a G class, 20X optical zoom (28mm to 560mm) 10mp, and HD video. The HX-1 sells for around $(US) 430.00.

In contrast, the Nikon D-3000 is indeed a well performing 10 mp DSLR camera aimed specifically at the users just beginning with a DSLR. The D-3000 equipped with the Nikon 18-55mm kit lens sells for around $(US) 500.00. Please keep in mind that the effective focal length of that kit lens in 35mm terms equals 27mm to 83mm. To equal the zoom capability of either of the two camera, would require adding the Nikon 70-300mm lens which gives 105mm to 40mm in 35mm terms. at an additional cost of $(US) 340.00 . So to get the package even somewhat close to either the FZ-35 or the HX-1 would realistically take a budget of $(US) 840.00. You could possibily reduce your cost somewhat by using the Tamron 70-300mm lens which costs $(US) 195.00, and would bring your total cost to $(US) 695.00. The D-3000 has no video capability.

So perhaps with that added information you can see that the three cameras listed are really not directly comparable.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Feb 14, 2010 at 11:18 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2010, 11:13 PM   #3

Thanks mtclimber, but I am coming from a Nikon D70 that needs replacing. Im not going anywhere with my photography other than just pics of the kids, kids sporting games and vacations. Thats about as far as I will get in the photography world. I was going along the lines of picture quailty.

Last edited by Claytonrjw; Feb 15, 2010 at 12:09 AM.
Claytonrjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 12:06 AM   #4

claytonrjw-

Thanks for the reply. Well the FZ-35 would certainly be a money saving choice at $(US)320.00. It is an excellent and very capable camera.

We have a very active group of FZ-35 users in our Panasonic P+S Folder. You might want to check that out as well. Of course the closest match to your d-70 would be the Nikon D-3000 which is a very good camera. Any lenses left over from the D-70? They might work on the D-3000. You might want to check it out.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote