Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 14, 2010, 7:43 PM   #1

Default What to replace Kodak dx7440

Hi. I'm new to the forum and appreciate any help you all can give me. I have been using a Kodak DX 7440 for years but it is dying and I will need to replace it soon. My favorite thing is the almost minimal shutter lag time. I have tried many friends cameras and even the newest ones are much slower than my Kodak. I work in a preschool and take photos of children for documentation. These pics are shared with parents, some are enlarged (8x10 max). Pics are taken indoors in varying light and outdoors in rainy to sunny conditions. The kids move fast and I want to capture their work and play, not a posed photo. Some photos are close ups, sometimes I am capturing from across the room. Most important feature: minimal shutter lag. Other features: not too small; manual exposure controls; good flash; good battery life; hopefully under $300 but will spend more if I need to. Any suggestions? Thanks!
LeSueToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 14, 2010, 9:48 PM   #2

lesuetoo-

Welcome to the Forum. We're delight that you dropped by.

If you desire to stay at about the same size physical size as the Kodak DX-7440, my suggestion would be the Canon SX-200 (shown in the attached photo, side by side with the DX-7440). It is selling for $299, has 12mp with 12Xoptical zoom, beginning at (in 35mm terms) 28mm and going to 336mm. It also has HD video.

If you want to go to a slightly larger size, camera, I would suggest that you look at the Panasonic FZ-35, now selling for around $320. It has 18X optical zoom (28mm to 504mm). It has an excellent built-in flash unit, and takes HD video with stereo sound.

Either camera would serve you well. Have a great day.The attached photo was taken with the FZ-35 using existing light and exposure of F 2.8 at 1/4 second with ISO 400. It was a hand held shot with incandescent/tungsten WB.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images

mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 12:41 PM   #3

The SX200 has one major flaw in its design, which did not go well with me at all. That is, once you turn the camera on, the flash will pop up, whether you wish to use it or not. That to me is aggravating but it may not be to some people. Just something to keep in mind.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2010, 1:44 PM   #4

You are very correct, Tullio-

It is not an issue to me at all. However, for one of my students, it is very different. She just goes bananas about it. Your mileage may vary etc.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Feb 15, 2010 at 4:12 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 4:06 PM   #5

Thanks. I have read the reviews and I am going to go and try both the SX200 and the FZ-35. I don't think the pop up flash will bother me but I'll have to try it and see. In reading reviews of the two you suggested I also stumbled across a review of Kodak's EasyShare Z950. Since I've been pleased with my Kodak I am wondering what you think of this compared to the others?
Old Feb 15, 2010, 4:16 PM   #6

lesuetoo-

I have a Kodak Z-950 that I will sell you really cheap. It even has a case!

Unfortunately, while the Kodak Z-950 looks great on paper, it is strictly PLAIN VANILLA. It is not a performer, and the images are very soft, lacking clarity and sharpness.

I would strongly ( and I use "strongly" very, very infrequently indeed) suggest you pass on the Kodak Z-950.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Feb 15, 2010 at 6:26 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 6:24 PM   #7

Will pass on your offer to sell me one.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 6:27 PM   #8

lesuetoo-

That is a wise decision.

Sarah Joyce