Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Mar 5, 2010, 7:32 AM   #11

I have shot old school manual cameras (Nikon FM) and point and shoot (canon). I had my own dark room and developed my black and white film to prints. so yes i am sorta new to DSLR cameras.
nene212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 3:24 AM   #12

i have changed my mind i want the canon 5d what does everyone think of that camera?
Old Mar 20, 2010, 4:42 AM   #13

Hiya,

I visited my local Nikon / Canon dealer here in Jyväskylä. He is a real Nikon-man, full stop. He was excited about the D90 he was showing me, but told me in clear and in no uncertain terms, the sound in the video is terrible. Also, Nikon "sort of" led the way in DSLR video, "sort of".

I looked at the Canon cameras, as I am going to buy a new DSLR, also... so, I share a lot of your concerns in looking for a camera. You mentioned video for your children... and since you gave the theme Nikon D90 and Canon T2i, if you want good video, with much, much better qualtity in picture and sound, then among these two, Canon is the best.

It has been already suggested to do some research into these cameras, and this is wise advice, indeed.

I am closely evaluating the Canon T2i, the camera is an awesome camera, but I am afraid that if video is a real need, you might be disappointed with Nikon, though Nikon is superb with other features in its own right. In other words, Nikon is not a camera to be sneezed at.

All the best is your deliberations, hope you find the right camera that you will be happy with... Do go and visit a camera store and put your hands on these cameras and ask a lot of questions.
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2010, 8:59 AM   #14

The 5D is good for action as it burst rate is fast at 5fps. Image Quality is higher then the t2i. The 21mp sensor is an excellent one.

If you do need video, it is a better camera then the original ones you listed.

The audio issue with any dslr without an external mic is a concern. Even with the nikon. It is worst with the canon and the kit lens. But I use allot of USM lenses, and it is the same as the nikon. With the T2i, you can go of camera with the mic, so the audio advantage goes to the canon. You will not hear any motor noise. And Canon offer 1080, nikon is only 720, so canon does lead in the HD department not nikon. And the T2i have manual controls for HD, so the camera guy is brand bais. Fact is that canon is the leader in HD video for dslr right now.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 27, 2010 at 9:48 PM. Reason: typo
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:38 PM   #15

Thank you for all the replies. It made me want the T2i over d90 but my hubby bought me Canon 7d instead for better body. I got 28-135mm IS kit & 70-300mm IS. Thanks again!
sheeberi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:42 PM   #16

Congrats that is a great camera. Nice set of lenses both are fast focusing and quite. You may want to think about getting a wider angle lens, as the 28 may be a bit tight for group shots and thing. Something 15 to18 on the wide end would be good.
Old Apr 2, 2010, 7:30 PM   #17

I changed my mind i did more research and decided on the 5d Mark ii. Its a great camera. however i need to save money for about 6 months. i don't wanna charge the camera.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 7:51 PM   #18

Just a couple quick drawbacks about HD video on the T2i :

- [email protected] does NOT seem possible with it (even though it IS a selectable setting). I'm using a SanDisk Ultra III (class 10) which I believe is about the fastest memory card on the market, and video breaks up repeatedly.

- 720HD shooting is NOT available in anything less than 60fps, so you cannot shoot say, [email protected] for the sake of having a smaller file.

- Shooting a moving subject is pointless. There's no autofocus 'on the fly' as you get with a camcorder, so if your subject moves towards or away from the point of focus, it'll become out of focus. Sure you can hold down the shutter release half-way to refocus, but that just ruins the video quality when you see it going out of focus then 'jumping' back into focus repeatedly.

BUT... on a subject that doesn't move much, and at [email protected], video quality is absolutely superb. Of course... your needs for video are drastically reduced when you have a non-moving subject

In the right circumstances, it'll far outperform an HD video camcorder simply because you can use much better lenses, and with your average HD camcorder, you're stuck to using the small stock lens that's in the unit (which of course, doesn't let in as much light as a nice big EF lens ). But my advice would be, if you want an HD camcorder for the ways that most people use camcorders - buy an HD camcorder. HD cameras shooting video are just too limited in terms of their applications.

Last edited by DarkSky; Apr 12, 2010 at 7:54 PM.
DarkSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky View Post
Just a couple quick drawbacks about HD video on the T2i :

- [email protected] does NOT seem possible with it (even though it IS a selectable setting). I'm using a SanDisk Ultra III (class 10) which I believe is about the fastest memory card on the market, and video breaks up repeatedly.
I thought this as well with my recent purchase of the T2i, however that is with the video in it's native state when watching on a pc, have you watched it from your camera? Everything is smooth and buttery but if you try and run the file fresh out of the camera you get this severe "glitchy" playback. Try running it through the ZoomEX browser (or whatever the Canon software is) and it is smooth, after the video is processed it will playback nice and smooth.

Congrats on the 7D I wish my T2i had the continuous burst that the 7D has, besides build quality that is it's only drawback in my humble opinion.
Old Apr 12, 2010, 10:33 PM   #20

Actually the only thing I miss is the burst rate. I prefer the size and wieght of the T2i.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote