Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Apr 12, 2010, 11:24 PM   #31

You can get great results with jpeg. The difference is really personal input after shooting, you get more control. I've seen some great results from jpeg shooters.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 8:13 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Waoldrifleman,

The 7D is a 1400 dollar body, the T2i is a 800 dollar body that 600 dollar difference accounts for the huge performance difference Also the 7D is a CF system, and match with a 600x card will make using the machine burst rate much easier. You are comparing the t2i to a camera 2 levels higher. The next up would be the 50d and 60d if it comes out.
Agreed I understand all of that and I accepted the limitations, I was just commenting on a previous comparison.
waoldrifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:41 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post

Congrats on the 7D I wish my T2i had the continuous burst that the 7D has, besides build quality that is it's only drawback in my humble opinion.
I'm actually VERY happy with the burst mode so far, over my old Rebel 2000 - the T2i blows it away

Whenever I'd use my Rebel 2000 (aka 300D) at a hockey game, and a fight would break out, I'd be able to snap about 6 shots quickly (@6.5MP) then it would take about 1s between shots for about 2 shots, then like 3-4s between shots as it moved the image from internal memory -> card.

A couple days ago I was shooting a hawk in my backyard and kept hitting the shutter button (not holding it down in true 'burst' mode though) and was waiting for the "please wait.." to come up, but even after about 15 quick shots @ 18MP it kept on shooting with no lag.
DarkSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:43 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky View Post
I'm actually VERY happy with the burst mode so far, over my old Rebel 2000 - the T2i blows it away

Whenever I'd use my Rebel 2000 (aka 300D) at a hockey game, and a fight would break out, I'd be able to snap about 6 shots quickly (@6.5MP) then it would take about 1s between shots for about 2 shots, then like 3-4s between shots as it moved the image from internal memory -> card.

A couple days ago I was shooting a hawk in my backyard and kept hitting the shutter button (not holding it down in true 'burst' mode though) and was waiting for the "please wait.." to come up, but even after about 15 quick shots @ 18MP it kept on shooting with no lag.
You were shooting jpeg right?
Old Apr 13, 2010, 11:55 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthless View Post
You were shooting jpeg right?
Yup. I always shoot in JPG. The T2i will shoot at 3+fps for awhile, then drop down to about a shot every .5 to .7s (guessing) for a bit, then go faster again and fluctuate. This is on a SanDisk Ultra III Class 10 card.

Of course, higher end cameras have higher end CPUs and bigger bandwidth pipes between internal and external memory, as well as more internal memory.

If you want higher-end camera features with T2i prices, just wait a year or so I believe I paid $1400Cdn for my 300D (Rebel 2000) 6.5MP DSLR. That $1400 today could get a camera many times faster on all features.

Digital cameras are just like computers - you can spend big bucks to get high-end features today, or wait awhile and the price will half - at which time there'll be a NEW set of cameras out and the one you wanted will be old news. So you can't win. 'Just gotta find a balance somewhere between the latest technology just out, and technology which is cheap yet old (which happens very fast).
DarkSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2010, 12:00 AM   #36

Canon T1i with a transcend 16gb class 10, 24 shoots before buffer lag in high res jpeg. , no fear of missing the action. 9-10 raw in burst before buffer lag stop the camera.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 1:28 PM   #37

Yes I hear ya, I was refering to shooting RAW I know the max for the camera is 6-7 and I believe the jpeg burst is about 24-25, I've just heard so much about shoot in RAW I have pretty much only been doing this. It just seems like when it is compressed to a jpeg that there is a ton of data loss, in practice I don't know how much this really matters but I do know every shot I take I'd like to have the opportunity to blow up and image to at least 20x30 (If I like the shot, maybe even bigger I don't know). I've never printed a jpeg that large (I guess you can without any IQ loss?).
Old Apr 14, 2010, 1:35 PM   #38

RAW will give you a bunch more edit option. But you really need to know the ins and out of the editing software to pull out ever ounce of detail As someone who has a day job and not as much time, and when I shoot. I shoot over 250 at a time. I really do not have time to go through all the RAW files to get that last ounce of detail. And some simple quick edit on jpeg does a really fine job sometime, if the shot is set up right in the first place. Check out my thread on the NYC auto show. All jpeg with on click edit.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/tr...auto-show.html
Old May 1, 2010, 1:00 PM   #39

I still have not purchased my camera. I was saving for the 5d m2 but i already want to be in the game and need a camera. with that i decided on either the 7d or t2i which is closer to my reach. i don't want to charge anything. i have 700 saved. My question is are all canon lenses compatible? in other words can i put the 24-70mm on the 7d or t2i?
nene212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 1:05 PM   #40

Get the t2i. It is very good, and a bit more in your budget. They pretty much have the same sensor. And the Rebels are very good camera. I have a T1i and I am very happy with it. The T2i is built the same way, like all the rebels

It let me get shots like this.

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pe...straction.html

Last edited by shoturtle; May 2, 2010 at 1:14 AM. Reason: typo
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote