Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 16, 2010, 12:53 PM   #1

Default Nikon D90 or Canon T2i???

I'm new to photography, technically on DSLR. I'm a mom of 2yr.old twin girls & it's getting harder for me to take a decent photo of them as they grow, they won't stay still that's why I decided to move on DSLR. I also would like to take nature scenes. I'm really confused if I should get the Nikon D90 or wait for the Canon T2i. Video capability is a major plus for me so I don't have to bring another gadget as my twins are a handful. 720p HD is good, as I will only be taking home videos, I know 1080 is much better. Please help me decide what should I get, I'm a novice at photography.

And oh, I found a package for D90 on ebay with 4-5 lenses(I'm not sure if I need these much lenses), tripod, flash, hard case shell, backpack, 16gb memory card & many more for only $1,400. Are these lenses good in the package deal? Or should I buy in reputable stores like Kits Camera, B&H, Best Buy or other camera stores?

I'm hoping you can help me pick the camera that I should buy.
Thanks!
sheeberi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 16, 2010, 12:58 PM   #2

From a photography (non video) perspective lots of DSLRs will meet your needs. I would suggest you do some research into shooting video with a DSLR though. It is not anywhere as easy as it is to do with a dedicated video camera. Now, my dslr doesn't have the capability but so far it seems the video in DSLRs is a lot more difficult to use - many don't autofocus in video with liveview, etc. Again, I don't have first hand advice but I would suggest looking for people who actually have that hands on experience shooting video with DSLRs so they can give you an impression if it's user-friendly enough for the situations you want to use it in.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2010, 1:35 PM   #3

Shooting video with a dSLR is a lot like going grocery shopping in a Backhoe. It will get the job done, but it could be put to better uses, and other things could do the job better. Typically, dSLRs can't autofucus or autoexpose while a video is being recorded, the typical dSLR zoom lens doesn't have as much zoom as the typical camcorder lens, and the dSLR lenses that would be appropriate for shooting video aren't very good for shooting still images.

With that said, the Nikon D90 is a 12MP camera that can shoot HD video at 24fps, while the Canon T2i is an 18MP camera that can shoot HD video at 60, 50, 30, or 24 fps.

The D90 is a very good dSLR, and the T2i promises to also be very good. A more direct comparison might be between the Nikon D90 and the Canon T1i, which is more comparable to the D90 and it's cheaper.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2010, 7:02 PM   #4

I agree with Rik-

A Pentax Kx can be purchased for virtually 1/2 the cost of the Nikon D-90. The Kx will be much easier to learn and deal with in the long haul.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2010, 7:53 PM   #5

The Pentax K-x that rikmeister mtclimber mentioned is also a good choice.

And I neglected to say what I wanted about those package deals.

DON'T DO IT!

The camera is ok, but the rest of the stuff is usually useless garbage. Sometimes that even switch the kit lenses for cheap junky lenses. Stick with the reputable retailers, and you should probably resist the temptation to buy one of their pacakages as well. Buy what you think you'll need in the near term, adn see where your needs take you.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2010, 9:03 PM   #6

You can autofocus in HD with the canon T1i and I pretty sure you can AF with the T2i with live view also. But you will hear the AF motor, unless you go with the USM lens. As the stock lenses tend to be loud enough to be pick up by mic. All you need to do is push the * button in live view.

Also there is a jelly effect with rapid movement.

If you want full HD with a dslr, then it will be a canon. The T1i or T2i shoot 1080, while the k-x and D90 shoot only 720.

But having shoot the K-x along side the T1i. The K-x is a much easier camera to learn on over the D90 and even the T1i or T2i I think.

Another thing to consider is that the T2i may not be in store till may, the earliest is April according to all the pre order from the major camera sites, adorama, amazon and BH photos. So if you need it sooner I would look at the T1i if you want 1080, or the K-x if you want something that is easier to learn on. Not to taking anything away form K-x, it is an excellent dslr also.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 1:11 AM   #7

i am also searching for a camera. I really like the D90 because of its many features and i really like the way it feels in my hands. I tried the T1i & the T2i and to me it felt like a toy. i want a camera that will hold up. I don't want to feel that if i drop the camera it will break. For me the canon feels cheap i know its not but it does for me. I like that the Nikon lens that are interchangeable I have an old old nikon FM 35m camera that i bought in the 70's and i remember really liking the nikon product. i wouldn't buy a camera online or e-bay. I would go to a reputable camera store to feel and touch the D90 & T1i or T2i. i hope that helps.
nene212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 1:30 AM   #8

Well you answer your question which camera fits you best. The D90 is an excellent camera. And if you like the added features of it, like the way it feels in your hand and how the ergo suites you. Then it should be an easy decision form here on out.

That was one of the things I like about the canon 50D, it felt more solid over my T1i. But it was a bit heavy for my wife to use. So we opted for the T1i instead. But over the last 9 months. It has proven pretty rugged form an all plastic body vs a metal body. And very good for a dslr as a travel companion.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 5, 2010 at 2:23 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 2:20 AM   #9

Now i am just trying to pay off some bills and save some money for my D90. I figured i would pick up the D90 from B&h photo. i like their prices. I will get it in about 2 weeks. i have all point and shoot cameras and that just wasn't doing it for me. I decided to get an SLR camera. I am sure i will be happy with my purchase.
nene212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2010, 2:22 AM   #10

Have you shot with a dslr before. If not check out steve's knowledge center. There is allot of good info. If you want some video workshops. www.dslrtips.com is pretty good for new dslr users.