Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 22, 2010, 9:45 AM   #31

Justin,

BHphotos in manhattan just got the EP-L1 instock. I will be making my way over there tomorrow to check it out. They just do not have the color I want yet.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:29 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Justin,

BHphotos in manhattan just got the EP-L1 instock. I will be making my way over there tomorrow to check it out. They just do not have the color I want yet.
Have fun!

Do let me know of your experience using the E-PL1, especially in manual or aperture priority mode changing aperture, shutter speed and exposure values using the menu buttons as opposed to the control dials.

Justin.
JustinY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 10:41 AM   #33

Justin,

I let you know what I think about the menu for aperture priority and manual.
Old Feb 22, 2010, 5:32 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinY View Post
If I had plentiful of spare cash, I would get the E-P2 without a doubt, but weighing my priorities and all, I think an E-P1 will serve me better than an E-P1L.

- the on-board flash I don't use: I will use the F1.7 lens, jack up ISO and/or shoot in black and white.
- the EVF option: I can live with composing with the LCD.
- the control dials: If I have to cycle through menus to change aperture and exposure compensation as opposed to just turning wheel thumbs, that might drive me crazy

My thoughts. I will do some soul searching the next few days. Sssshhh, don't tell my GF1 ...

Justin.
Thanks for your input Justin (and in your earlier post).... I find it interesting - and very telling - that you currently have a GF1 but want to trade it for an E-P1.

I can wait (although I really don't want to!) and am fully aware that whatever I choose, it'll be improved upon in the next 'upgrade' and there's always something 'better' on the horizon.

In one way I'm lucky to be starting from scratch, and can move to any 'system' I like, but I remain unsure about what way is the best to go long-term (and indeed whether or not a standard "kit" is really what I want or need).

I still keep swinging back and forth between a m4/3 and smaller DSLR (i.e. 500D).... I can't help but feel that the compact form factor of both the PEN and GF1 best lend themselves to being paired with the pancake lens options, and that as such, are great performers. Anything else lens-wise, doesn't make the same "sense", if you know what I mean. I'm not suggesting that they're only good at one thing, but I do think sticking a bigma 50-500 on the front of the PEN isn't really what it was designed for..... even something more sensible like the Panasonic 14-140 (or the forthcoming 14-150 from Olympus) would be imbalanced and have very awkward handling, no? Probably look a bit silly too.

Can a PEN or GF1 work as a 'main' camera? Or rather; given current body and lens options (and limitations), are they really able to cover every photographic eventually - from wide angle landscapes to shooting indoor sports, portraits, macro flowers and insects to airshows and skittish wildlife? I don't think so.... yet.

I think the fact that I dabble in all of these photographic opportunities, and that I like working hand-held and flash-free is why I'm so hesitant at splashing my cash on either just now. I would very much like to use E-P1 or GF1 with the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, but that's only one base covered with nothing left in the kitty.......
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2010, 5:49 PM   #35

The quick answer is no as it depends on what you shoot if it can be a main camera.

The the pen's and gf1 has their place. Even with the faster AF of the panny lenses on a pen, it will still not be good for sports and air shows. For the landscapes, portraits, macro it will be perfectly fine. For indoors, it depends on the light level. If you have to push pass 3200iso from examples I seen. the m4/3 will be hurting.

I shoot a 500D, and will pick up a ep-l1 for my travel needs. As the 500D is not the best for when I travel super light with just a carry on bag. I know it will serve my need as a travel camera for outdoors shot, landscape, portraits and macro. As I will get the oly 35mm macro with 4/3 adapter for that purpose.

So if you shoot outdoors, indoor with decent lighting not very low light, landscape portraits, and macro mainly. The pen's and gf1 can be your main camera.

But if you shoot sports, and very low light with fast shutter speed, then no it will not be a good main camera.

Justin,

I went to BH today, but they would not open up the box for me to check it out. Will let you know when adorama has the one I want in, and give you my impression when I buy it. Which will be next week I hope.
Old Feb 23, 2010, 4:04 AM   #36

I guess 99% of my 'family' photography involves tricky lighting - indoors, low-light, moving subjects - and when the kids are running about in the park or on their bikes, well that's just like sports photography!!

Would you say that the G1 (G2 soon?) or GH1 form factor cameras would be any better in low-light or for action and telephoto work, or are these essentially the same 'guts' with better ergonomics...?
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2010, 3:22 PM   #37

Justin,

I just posted my impression on the EP-L1. I WILL GET ONE I really like it. I started a thread in the olympus dslr forum of my first impression. Just waiting on the black one to arrive and I will decide which color I will get. Champaign or Black.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:19 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Justin,

I just posted my impression on the EP-L1. I WILL GET ONE I really like it. I started a thread in the olympus dslr forum of my first impression. Just waiting on the black one to arrive and I will decide which color I will get. Champaign or Black.
Haha, awesome for you I was just reading your post too. If I can, I will go to some of the local camera stores and see if I can play with an E-P1. I doubt the E-P1L is made available already here in Malaysia - so I can't say about its ergonomics yet.

Sigh, now I know what you all mean about an expensive hobby ... ... I may delay this and see what Panasonic offers (G2 and G10) and what Olympus may offer (second micro 4/3 body) in the next few months. That may further drive down the E-P1 price to make it more affordable.

Justin.
JustinY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 12:03 PM   #39

I'm looking to move to the 4/3 format, or possibly even a DSLR. The E-P1L got me all excited, but now that I've done more research, I'm torn between several models; E-P1L, GF1, G2 and now the Canon EOS T2i. They all posses a different 'look-n-feel' and completely different form-factors and styling. Although, the G2 more resembles a DSLR.

Every time I read about another model I find something else to like about it. As you can see I've progressed all the way to the Canon. While it may be in an entirely different class, the price seems more in line with the G2 - and you get an 18mp sensor to boot, along with 1080p video!

I better quit while I'm ahead, because the way this process is going could break the bank.

redjr...
redjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2010, 12:52 PM   #40
Super Moderator

redjr.

they are all quite different in form and feel, even amongst the m4/3 models. the only way you are going to know, is to head down to your local shop and try them out. i think then you will have a better feel for what is comfortable in use for you.