Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 17, 2010, 6:59 AM   #1

Default GF1 or E-P1? ...or wait a bit longer?

I managed to get "hands on" with both an Olympus E-P1 (14-42 and 20mm) and Panasonic GF1 (14-45), but I'm still struggling with my decision as to which is best for me.....

Those who have helped me before will remember I'm coming 'down' from a Canon 40D outfit, and these MFT kits really seem to tick most of the boxes on my wish list.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to try both side-by-side, as they were in different shops (!).... the PEN felt substantial, and I liked the handling (but not necessarily the styling) whilst the GF1 felt very responsive.

I wonder which would be better in the long term? The PEN has the in-body stabilisation which is attractive. I think I prefer the Panasonic 'pancake', but their other lenses are much bigger and more expensive (because of the built-in OIS). The forthcoming 14-150 Olympus lens is - I think - the one I'd like, but currently not available either on its' own, or in kit form.....

So, which is best: in-camera, or in-lens stabilisation?

What about third-party glass - any issues (i.e. AF) particularly with either brand?

Which has the better "real-world" high-ISO (3200) performance?

There are pros and cons to both, and it's driving me mad!!!

Or, do I wait for the 14-150, E-PL1 kits, or maybe even G2 with video (!?)....
mrmacmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:20 AM   #2

I am waiting on the EPL1, will live without the dial control. Has a flash, and has the ep2 guts.

IS in body will give you IS on any lens. Some say IS in the lens performs a bit better. If you are a jpeg shooter, the oly has the better jpeg engine. The GF-1 has the faster AF motor. I place the GF 1 lens on an ep2 and it was pretty fast AF.

GF1 you can add the optional EVF not an option of the EP1, but is there on the EP2. And both the GF1 and EP2 with the evf are about the same price.

Oly has more lens options with AF ability the pany right now. The sigma lenses will AF on the pen's.

Last edited by shoturtle; Feb 17, 2010 at 9:38 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 9:33 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacmusic View Post

So, which is best: in-camera, or in-lens stabilisation?

What about third-party glass - any issues (i.e. AF) particularly with either brand?

Which has the better "real-world" high-ISO (3200) performance?

There are pros and cons to both, and it's driving me mad!!!

Or, do I wait for the 14-150, E-PL1 kits, or maybe even G2 with video (!?)....
Hi,

You may be interested in reading this field review of the Olympus E-P2 written by Michael Reichmann who manages a website known as Luminous Landscapes. It's a good read because it's written from the perspective of evaluating the camera as a photographic tool and comparing it to Panasonics GH-1 and GF1

He touches on many of the questions you have posed. And I might add that he has been an early adopter of the GH-1 camera.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2010, 2:32 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I'm also in the market for a camera with as large sensor possible in as small a body possible.

Rumours have it that Canon, Nikon and Sony + Zeiss will soon be entering this market too. Almost certainly this year. I think I'm not in a crazy rush, so my inclination is to wait for the Sony and Zeiss offering before committing to m4/3.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 4:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Oly has more lens options with AF ability the pany right now. The sigma lenses will AF on the pen's.
Presumably, the Panasonic lenses will fit and AF on the PEN and vice versa... but am I wrong to assume that all "four thirds" mount lenses will work on either body with an adaptor...? Is there much to pick and choose between the standard Pan/Oly offerings from an image quality perspective?

I notice that at the moment, there's not a lot of choice on the 'micro' 4/3rds lens front, although I guess more lenses will appear in time. I'm not 100% sure about either standard kit lens, as ideally, I'd prefer faster and a bit more range. I'd like to have a two-lens outfit with a good 'standard' zoom and fast prime - macro capabilities would be good to have in at least one of these two lenses, and the more telephoto reach the better (within reason).

Would anyone recommend the Zuiko 14-54 f/2.8-3.5 or Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 Macro (faster) as standard 'upgrades'? What about the Zuiko 18-180 f/3.5-6.3 - or would I really be better looking at the 14-150 (or Pan 14-140)..? Can either of these use teleconvertors for a bit more reach?
Old Feb 17, 2010, 4:47 PM   #6

Yes all the m4/3 lenses will interchange between the oly and the panny. But if you move up with an adaptor, only the oly 4/3 lenses will work correctly with AF on the panny. The sigma lenses will not work correctly with AF on the panny. I actually tried it out this weekend. Because the wifey wanted to take a closer look at the m4/3 camera before the epl-1 comes out.

I was looking at the zukios 35mm 3.5 macro and adapter with the ep-2. And it work perfectly on the ep-2. So if you go with a panny I would stay with the oly 4/3 lenses over the sigma lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmacmusic View Post
Presumably, the Panasonic lenses will fit and AF on the PEN and vice versa... but am I wrong to assume that all "four thirds" mount lenses will work on either body with an adaptor...? Is there much to pick and choose between the standard Pan/Oly offerings from an image quality perspective?

I notice that at the moment, there's not a lot of choice on the 'micro' 4/3rds lens front, although I guess more lenses will appear in time. I'm not 100% sure about either standard kit lens, as ideally, I'd prefer faster and a bit more range. I'd like to have a two-lens outfit with a good 'standard' zoom and fast prime - macro capabilities would be good to have in at least one of these two lenses, and the more telephoto reach the better (within reason).

Would anyone recommend the Zuiko 14-54 f/2.8-3.5 or Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 Macro (faster) as standard 'upgrades'? What about the Zuiko 18-180 f/3.5-6.3 - or would I really be better looking at the 14-150 (or Pan 14-140)..? Can either of these use teleconvertors for a bit more reach?
Old Feb 17, 2010, 5:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Yes all the m4/3 lenses will interchange between the oly and the panny. But if you move up with an adaptor, only the oly 4/3 lenses will work correctly with AF on the panny. The sigma lenses will not work correctly with AF on the panny. I actually tried it out this weekend. Because the wifey wanted to take a closer look at the m4/3 camera before the epl-1 comes out.

I was looking at the zukios 35mm 3.5 macro and adapter with the ep-2. And it work perfectly on the ep-2. So if you go with a panny I would stay with the oly 4/3 lenses over the sigma lenses.
What about using older 'manual' prime lenses which could be picked up on eBay? I'm reading about Voigtlander/Zeiss/Leica etc... which presumably need an appropriate adaptor, but I guess would potentially offer better quality than the 20mm f/1.7...? What about using Canon FD lenses...?
Old Feb 17, 2010, 5:30 PM   #8

They will work fine. There are over 600 lens options for the m4/3 in mf. Canon FD lens work quite well on the m4/3 with aftermarket adapters.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 5:40 PM   #9

Thanks for your help shoturtle!
Old Feb 17, 2010, 5:43 PM   #10

glad to help, I have been doing allot of homework on the m4/3 cameras. Since I will be getting one as they fit better for my travel needs then my 500D.