Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:23 PM   #1

Default Panny ZR1

Or ZR1R, the Olympic version.

Has anyone had any experience with this camera? How does it compare to the Z3 which many have said good things about?

Any thoughts on Zr1 vs Sony H20?? (Other than lack of wide angle in the sony)
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:27 PM   #2

do you need video?
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:34 PM   #3

Littlejohn-

I have hands-on experience with the Panasonic ZR-1 and it has poor to fair indoor image quality. You are much better off selecting the Sony H-20, by a very wide margin. This poor indoor image quality can be overcome with a sufficiently powerful slave flash. However, that adds to the expense.

Best of luck. You had an excellent experience with the H-20, so you know how good it is.

Sarah Joyce

Last edited by mtclimber; Feb 20, 2010 at 3:55 PM.
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 1:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
do you need video?
I don't consider video in any camera to ever be good enough...unless I am videoing cops beating someone up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
Littlejohn-

I have hands-on experience with the Panasonic ZR-1 and it has poor to fair indoor image quality. You are much better off selecting the Sony H-20, by a very wide margin.

Best of luck. You had an excellent experience with the H-20, so you know how good it is.

Sarah Joyce
Thanks..the panny or sony would be the pocket camera, the wifey camera.. (somebody has to take shots of silly me...

how would you compare the Z3 to ZR1? (i know that both are poor indoors)
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 1:29 AM   #5

If video is not a concern the canon s90 is another good option in the pocket size camera.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 11:22 AM   #6

littlejohn-

The ZS-1, ZS-3, and ZR-1 all have the same identical built-in flash unit. The difference is this: the ZR-1 which arrive in the market last is programed in the firmware to operate somewhat differently.

It is very fast to increase the ISO setting automatically, the result is that it is not unusual to see an ISO 1250 setting, at a Flash Range of 12 to 14 feet. As you might imagine that send the indoor image quality south big time, and in a hurry.

So the answer is yes, the have attempted to create a work around, but the "fix" is almost worse than the the initial problem, which was the lack of sufficient light due to the design of a very weak, tiny built-in flash unit.

It was as if Panasonic's expectation was that the majority of photos would be taken outdoors, where the three cameras have very good image quality.

Have a great day. Choosing the Sony H-20 eliminates those problems, as it has the best built-in flash unit in the compact zoom classs, and its Flash Range extends out to 23 feet.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:45 AM   #7

but if you shooting is mostly out doors the 28mm wide angle would give it a big advantage over the tighter H20. It is all about what you need, or wait for the new sony HX5V that will come out next month with the wider angle lens.