Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 18, 2010, 12:57 PM   #21

8 kids? WOW I am the oldest of 7 When my youngest sister had a baby I felt like a grandfather. I anly have a 17 year old (Rachel Hope) and the 2 month old, he turned 2 months today actually he was born Dec 18.

No insurance, I am not sweating the cash, its just to see how huge my blind spot was during that instance. I did however have a glass of grigio before leaving the house, (My daughter in the avatar was driving)...

So Sarah what do you think about the Panasonic

The Sony I bought yesterday was marked down from $250 to $229 and I negotiated it to $200 out the door... They had two it on display and now looking back I am starting to wonder if the one they sold me was a return, considering the box was taped shut and the cover of the manual was torn.

They have another one on display I am not sure if they want $250 for it or not... Thing is I can get the panasonic for under $250 and I won't even have to worry about having to deliver it home, they'll deliver it for free.

Thing is the more I read on the panasonic the more I love it. How about some advice...

Should I buy the the Sony DCS-H20 when I could purchase the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 even if I have to spend an extra $25... That is the actual difference if I were to purchase either at Amazon.
One mans sad moment; is another mans Kodak moment. The flash in the pan only lasts but so long... Adjust your focus to the shot you got... That pixel on the face of realities wave is you, ride with style, and when the other pixels greet you may it be with a smile, even if they are but laughing at you rather than with... joy is the flash in the pixels, be a Super Bowl to the stadium of pixels around you. OK I feel better now...

Last edited by Jagsbch; Feb 18, 2010 at 1:02 PM.
Jagsbch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 1:43 PM   #22

jagsbch-

My only problem with the ZS-3 is that it only has poor to fair indoor image qauality when using the built-in flash unit, indoors. I own the ZS-1, which is the same design but without the HD video, and I only use it with a slave flash indoors because the built-in flash unit is so weak and tiny.

The Sony H-20 is clearly the better camera. It has the best automatic mode and the best built-in flash unit in the compact zoom class with a Flash Range of up to 23 feet. In addition in does HD video and you can zoom while filming. The only glitch with the H-20 is that it does not have a wide angle position on it's zoom. All in all the H-20 is a real performer

Another option is the Canon SX-120 which also does not have a wide angle on its zoom, and it has standard video instead of HD video. It sells for $199.00

The other option which is more expensive ($349) would be the newly introduced Canon SX-210 which replaces the Canon SX-200 (now selling for $299). The Canon SX-210 addresses the two problems encountered on the SX-200: the flash that pops-up every ***e the camera is powered up, whether the flash is required or not.

The other issue from the SX-200 that was addressed was the SX-200's inability to zoom while filming HD video. Features added to the SX-210 are moving from 12mp to 14mp, and increasing the zoom from 12X optical zoom to 14X optical zoom.

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 2:10 PM   #23

Next time write a letter to Sony and see if they could use a camera that you had just bought that got left on the rooftop and recovered in the middle of the Hyway hey ya never know what they might be able to salvage or as the story could unfold as to how to not forget that one got a camera or Camera got ran over to later be either revived or laid to rest Via the compliments of Sony Corp. The cost of a stamp or more is well worth the try.
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2010, 8:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclimber View Post
jagsbch-

My only problem with the ZS-3 is that it only has poor to fair indoor image qauality when using the built-in flash unit, indoors. I own the ZS-1, which is the same design but without the HD video, and I only use it with a slave flash indoors because the built-in flash unit is so weak and tiny.

The Sony H-20 is clearly the better camera. It has the best automatic mode and the best built-in flash unit in the compact zoom class with a Flash Range of up to 23 feet. In addition in does HD video and you can zoom while filming. The only glitch with the H-20 is that it does not have a wide angle position on it's zoom. All in all the H-20 is a real performer...

Have a great day.

Sarah Joyce

Steve in his review stated the flash is powerful,

the ZS3 features a very powerful flash that had no problem properly lighting our scene from 6-feet away at ISO 80.

I heard the same thing in another youtube review...

The Sony actually pales in comparison to the ZS3 for what I am looking for in a camera, Sarah wasn't you who said...

Quote:
slower lens makes the H-20 less capable for low light level shooting
The ZS3 has about twice as many burst shots than the H20.

H-20's lack of wide-angle lens, is not just a glitch it winds up being a show stopper for me, the glitch may not be an issue for those who are into having your camera lens take care of cropping images for you, but if your into cropping your own images the H20 may not be the best option especially in cramped quarters or landscapes... Fact remains

Come to learn the H20 nor Canon PowerShot SX120 can be considered ideal choices for landscapes, group shots, or interiors for that matter when compared to the ZS3 or the Canon PowerShot SX200.

Quote:
In our tests the SX200 IS’s higher resolution didn’t give it a significant edge over the TZ7 / ZS3 and in some cases the image quality of the Panasonic was preferred, especially in terms of digital reduction of coloured fringing. Ultimately the decision boils down to comparing which feature-set best suits your requirements, but while the manual exposure control on the Canon is certainly nice to have, the Panasonic is simply much better-featured overall. Most would happily sacrifice manual control for a wider lens, more detailed screen, faster continuous shooting and the ability to zoom while filming.
The ZS3 has an impressively outrageous wide lens and has a great panoramic feature to boot.

The awesome 460k panel screen on the back makes for a much more detailed viewing with the ZS3, this helps when your taking pictures in the sunlight the screen lights up really nice.

Dolby Digital Stereo Creator microphones allow for rich video sound.

ZS3 has two more pixels than the H20 which makes for better images when your zoomed out. The recording feature gives you two options JPEG or HD. The file sizes will be larger with the JPEG codex, but you'll still get the same 720p resolution.

Quote:
The Lumix TZ7 / ZS3 is equipped with a 12.7 Megapixel CCD sensor measuring 1 /2.33in, although captures images with a maximum effective resolution of 10.1 Megapixels. Like the TZ5 before it, the extra pixels around the edges of the frame are used to maintain the angle of view and avoid cropping at different aspect ratios. So with the camera zoomed-out, you’ll enjoy 25mm coverage whether you’re shooting in 4:3, 3:2 or 16:9 aspect ratios. Shoot the same scene with each aspect ratio and you’ll see the wider modes may capture less vertically, but more horizontally. This is in contrast to the lower-end TZ6 / ZS1 (and indeed most compacts) which simply crop strips from the top and bottom at wider aspect ratios, thereby losing resolution and coverage
The ZS1 is not the standard to measure the ZS3 which was a considerable upgrade to the more affordable ZS1.

Quote:

Telephoto

If the ZS3 has one key selling point and distinguishing feature, having outrageous wide-angle to solid telephoto range in a camera this pocketable is it.

And the fact the ZS3's optics are sharp and largely distortion-free throughout the range makes the ZS3's versatility look even better.

Edge-to-edge sharpness is good to very good throughout the range. Likewise, whatever the Leica/Lumix team have done to control color fringing in this eight-group/double-aspherical/double-ED optic seems to have paid off. Thumbing back through my test shots, I wasn't able to dig up any particularly objectionable fringing, even in contrast boundary areas.

At f/3.3-4.9, the ZS3's lens isn't particularly fast at the wide end. But it makes up for whatever perceived speed deficiencies exist with wider maximum apertures at full telephoto than many of its full-size ultrazoom rivals offer. No doubt the lens's considerable physical size compared to what you'll find on many compacts is to thank for that...

CONCLUSIONS
The Panasonic TZ models have long been some of our favorite cameras around here, earning high marks from forum members and our staff testers alike for their versatility, simplicity, and solid all-around performance. The ZS3 builds on this strong foundation, starting with a redesigned lens that is, if anything, even sharper than the original TZ lens while adding 25mm wide-angle coverage. The ZS3 still gets Panasonic's superb 3.0 inch high-res LCD as well, and with better-than-ever Intelligent Auto performance, novice shooters aren't left out either...

Video performance is quite possibly the best you'll find on a still camera...
One mans sad moment; is another mans Kodak moment. The flash in the pan only lasts but so long... Adjust your focus to the shot you got... That pixel on the face of realities wave is you, ride with style, and when the other pixels greet you may it be with a smile, even if they are but laughing at you rather than with... joy is the flash in the pixels, be a Super Bowl to the stadium of pixels around you. OK I feel better now...

Last edited by Jagsbch; Feb 18, 2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 8:38 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpShotGal View Post
Next time write a letter to Sony and see if they could use a camera that you had just bought that got left on the rooftop and recovered in the middle of the Hyway hey ya never know what they might be able to salvage or as the story could unfold as to how to not forget that one got a camera or Camera got ran over to later be either revived or laid to rest Via the compliments of Sony Corp. The cost of a stamp or more is well worth the try.
I am starting to wonder if the car beat me to the punch after doing my research regarding lens factor being so restraining. And to think the Sony actually had a better lens than the Canon SX 120 which happened to be sold out. I guess before I go out and buy me an HD TV I ought to spend two days researching instead of one at this rate...

Last edited by Jagsbch; Feb 18, 2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:01 PM   #26

Well looks like Sony has finally seen the light in regards to its lens limitation, yet it is still stuck in a 10x rut rather than 12x zoom. It still costs more than the ZS3 Doesn't look like they changed the Microphone either.

Quote:

Sony also is introducing the H55 model, which offers high zoom in a compact design. The H55 camera's 10x optical zoom Sony G lens with 25mm wide-angle (equivalent) takes better shots from greater distances and of wider landscapes. With a 14.1 megapixel CCD sensor, this camera lets you take panoramic shots in one sweeping motion with Sweep Panorama™ mode.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 10:18 PM   #27

jagsbch-

First and foremost you should get the camera you like.

Sarah Joyce
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:20 AM   #28

If you have tried the H20...you should. I think its a better camera. The Zs don't have a view finder. Personally I couldn't use a camera that has only the lcd screen to frame a shot.

In the end tho, it isn't what a review says, it what you think. I did try a h20, and I took some pretty nice pics with it. I bought a KX and I am looking at a 'back' up for the pocket. In fact i am looking at either the Z or H20, with the H20 leading right now. Even tho 99% of the shots will be outside and that's where the Z3 is ok, the H20 flash is wayyyy better in case the wife wants to take indoor shots.

Since you have kids.....consider your decision carefully if you want to ensure you get shots that are keepers. Try them out in situations that you will use them in.
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:40 AM   #29

If you take landscapes the Z would be a better choice. Wider angle is a big plus there.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:51 AM   #30

Perhaps an indoor camera and an outdoor camera.

Sarah Joyce