Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Feb 18, 2010, 11:55 PM   #31

perhaps, no such thing as the perfect camera for all situation yet.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 9:43 AM   #32

I love landscape shots, being a surfing, fisherman, sailer, and bird watcher... then there are the vacation aspects... I am planning on making a trip to Israel, we are always going down to St. Augustine, SC, Amelia island, love being on the water during the weekends with friends.

The slave flash which is a cool feature to me, will more than resolve any issues whatsoever I may face with ZS3 indoors, taking the ZS3 well over the top of the Sony H20 nor Canon PowerShot SX120.

From what I gather regarding the reviews on the ZS3 those making a big to do about the flash may be indeed be making a big todo over nothing, considering what you get for a $234 camera. Even so showing up to the next reunion with a slave flash on my digital camera could be priceless. And with 5 brothers and sister along with all of their siblings I won't have a problem in fitting them all in the picture.

I found the blue ZS3 for $234 and free shipping to boot. I am absolutely sold on this camera from what I have been able to gather regarding it, but hey I only spent doing 2 days research on the matter so...

One mans sad moment; is another mans Kodak moment. The flash in the pan only lasts but so long... Adjust your focus to the shot you got... That pixel on the face of realities wave is you, ride with style, and when the other pixels greet you may it be with a smile, even if they are but laughing at you rather than with... joy is the flash in the pixels, be a Super Bowl to the stadium of pixels around you. OK I feel better now...

Last edited by Jagsbch; Feb 19, 2010 at 9:54 AM.
Jagsbch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 12:31 PM   #33

jagsbch-

As long as you are willing to use a sufficiently powerful enough slave flash with the ZS-3 you should not have any problems with indoor image quality. You found a good deal, so have fun, just be sure to use a sufficiently powerful enough slave flash.

The ZS-3 is a great camera barring its built-in flash problem.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2010, 4:58 PM   #34

Hey Sarah,
I bought the camera today from Abes of Maine. I was wondering what type of slave flash are you using and would you recommend it?

I heard that it was better to get smaller memory cards being that it is speed which that the most important factor in a card.

Up to this point the only digital camera I have personally ever owned has been my cell phone. It takes decent pic's and I love the fact it is waterproof, but with the new baby I could not resist investing in a digital camera that could produce quality for a point and shoot.

I have a 12 string guitar and with the baby about to start talking I love the stereo speaker feature the DS3 mcrophones offer for the HD video recording. That was another plus when we are down on te beach picnicing for the afternoon. To think I can stand on the beach and record both decent surfing footage as well as sound footage of the waves with this camera is something I am looking forward too both seeing and hearing.

Man this is going to be fun~!!
One mans sad moment; is another mans Kodak moment. The flash in the pan only lasts but so long... Adjust your focus to the shot you got... That pixel on the face of realities wave is you, ride with style, and when the other pixels greet you may it be with a smile, even if they are but laughing at you rather than with... joy is the flash in the pixels, be a Super Bowl to the stadium of pixels around you. OK I feel better now...
Old Feb 19, 2010, 6:11 PM   #35

jagsbch-

Congratulations on your new camera. The ZS-3 is a good camera and I know you will enjoy it. I use a Canon HF-1 as my slave flash and I have been pleased with its performance.

Have a great weekend.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:26 AM   #36

the size of the card and the speed are two different things.

First I also use a smaller sized card, simply because they sometimes fail. Its better to lose 4 gb of pics than 16 gb. I have 2, 4 gb and that seems to be lots.

Speed, its important to match the speed to the camera. No need in buying more card than you need. The class 4 cards seems to be ok for my KX in taking pics. I 'might' want a faster one for videos.. but a 4 gb Ultra II is under $15. which is a good place to start.

I have 2 - of those cards and that takes a pile of pics...over 1000. Just be sure reformat the cards after downloading them on your computer. I was told that this will ensure that the camera will recognize the card.

Have fun....the Z3 will be a nice camera even if you decide to go the dslr route sometime in the future..the z3 will always be the 'pocket' backup.

Be sure to post a couple of pics of the 'kid'..

Last edited by littlejohn; Feb 20, 2010 at 12:51 AM.
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:39 AM   #37

littlejohn,

If you shoot in burst mode, you will notice that a class 2 card will really hinder you and you will notice the buffer lag issue. It is especially more noticeable when shooting raw and jpeg. If you do shot burst you will want at least a class 4 for large jpeg format and up.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:52 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
littlejohn,

If you shoot in burst mode, you will notice that a class 2 card will really hinder you and you will notice the buffer lag issue. It is especially more noticeable when shooting raw and jpeg. If you do shot burst you will want at least a class 4 for large jpeg format and up.

Right..I edited my post as the cards ARE class 4 (Sandisk Ultra II)
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2010, 1:23 PM   #39

I have that ultra II, for jpeg burst is okay, but I do notice lag in raw and raw + jpeg. But it works great for HD on my T1i.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 9:31 PM   #40

got to love ordering something overnight and paying and extra $23 to find out you have to wait 1-3 days for Abes of Maine to process the over over night shipping? Totally bogus. What a jip